Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How about this: all politicians are lying scumbags.

How about this: Endlessly blaming politicians for acceding to the mewling of an electorate that increasingly insists on blaming everyone except themselves is weak. You rail about "them" and then give some sort of free pass to an electorate that blames immigrants/foreigners/free trade/elites, and nods approvingly at interventions such as tariffs, massive deficits, defense increases, budget over-runs. In our incoherent ramblings, we prove repeatedly that we aren't even worthy of the "scumbags" that you detest. We eventually vote for an entirely new set of folks to do "the will of the people" without ever blaming ourselves that we have let our "will" become chaotically parochial and self-destructive. Government does poorly, because we have become proudly ungovernable.

BTW, any response to the fact that most non-immigrant states and regions are the most virulently anti-immigrant?
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now the US should not defend a NATO ally because it could trigger WWIII...

Words do have consequences. You don't think Putin takes notice when the US President is questioning whether the US should defend a NATO ally? Not to mention what the allies of the US think.

https://www.nationalreview.com/...rves-european-peace/
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trimick wrote:

SMDH.

Where did I say they are on par? Where did I say anything positive about Trump? I am not a Trump fan or an Obama fan or a fan of any of our politicians. They all suck, but when you sit here and complain about Trump doing something and you have no issue with your side doing similar things or make excuses about why what they did isn't as bad I have an issue with that. You have done that in this thread multiple times. The left normalized a lot of what Trump is doing and no one said anything about Obama doing similar stuff and the right normalized a lot of what Trump is doing by not saying anything when Bush did similar stuff. Now Trump has gone above and beyond but you can't sit here and complain about Trump lying 90% of the time when Obama, Hilary, or Bernie lie roughly 50% of the time. You can't complain about hate on the right and stay silent about the hate on the left. Hate is wrong. The hypocrisy of both sides is sickening.

you're right, you didn't say anything positive about trump (there's nothing positive to say). you just made sure that the negatives of the side you don't like are raised to par, which gives you permission to continue to vote for those who are either selling your country down the river, or abetting it through their acquiescence.

when you say the, "hypocrisy of both sides is sickening", and "they all suck", this is trump-speak (all sides are to blame for our bad relationship with russia). obama never did "similar stuff". you may not have liked his policies, but he wasn't a traitor. i didn't like the policies of obama's predecessor, but he wasn't a traitor. hell, nixon wasn't a traitor. your entire post is an attempt to make sure we all know that trump's betrayal of his country, for personal edification, is nothing new. happens all the time. nothing to see here.

you either stand for your country, or you stand for your party. moments like this make it clear who is who.

I guess you missed the part where I said I don't have a side. I am not a Rep or a Dem. I dislike liars that have no shame so I don't like any politicians because they are all liars who have no shame. So I didn't vote for Trump yet it is my fault that he is "selling this country down the river". Please this grandstanding that you are doing is a joke. I think it is time for you to take a break from threads like this because it has become clear that you are losing your marbles.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
trimick wrote:

Where did I say they are on par? Where did I say anything positive about Trump? I am not a Trump fan or an Obama fan or a fan of any of our politicians. They all suck, but when you sit here and complain about Trump doing something and you have no issue with your side doing similar things or make excuses about why what they did isn't as bad I have an issue with that. You have done that in this thread multiple times. The left normalized a lot of what Trump is doing and no one said anything about Obama doing similar stuff and the right normalized a lot of what Trump is doing by not saying anything when Bush did similar stuff. Now Trump has gone above and beyond but you can't sit here and complain about Trump lying 90% of the time when Obama, Hilary, or Bernie lie roughly 50% of the time. You can't complain about hate on the right and stay silent about the hate on the left. Hate is wrong. The hypocrisy of both sides is sickening.

There's a lot of confusion in your post. You say that you're not equating them, but then use terms like "doing similar things" and "Obama doing similar stuff".

Then you say Trump has "gone above and beyond" which concurs with your original point that they are not on par.

All politicians lie. Bush senior said "Read my lips: no new taxes" and then raised taxes. Obama backtracked on his promises re ACA of being able to keep your doctor, although it could be argued that when he made the statement he intended to keep the promise.

The key differences with Trump are: A) he lies when he doesn't have to lie - it's almost like he can't help it, or he enjoys it (it's not even clear if he knows he's lying sometimes, and B) he lies to serve himself and in doing so is breaching the oath of office he took to serve the American people.

I'm not aware of any past presidents doing either of those things.

Your post sums up my point nicely so thanks for it. You talk about Bush lying yet don't take up for him at all. Then you talk about Obama lying and then try to soften his lie. Obama knew that his keep your plan and doctor line was a blatant lie. He lied so he could get his bill passed because he knew that without the lie the bill wouldn't get passed. Multiple people that wrote the bill have said that they knew that he way lying but said nothing, Rep Yarmuth, and Ezekiel Emmanuel to name two. Anyone that knows anything about insurance knew that it was a lie and it wasn't how the insurance business works.

So are you fine with politicians lying when they have to get a bill passed or get elected, because that is what it sounds like from your point A?
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

How about this: all politicians are lying scumbags.

How about this: Endlessly blaming politicians for acceding to the mewling of an electorate that increasingly insists on blaming everyone except themselves is weak. You rail about "them" and then give some sort of free pass to an electorate that blames immigrants/foreigners/free trade/elites, and nods approvingly at interventions such as tariffs, massive deficits, defense increases, budget over-runs. In our incoherent ramblings, we prove repeatedly that we aren't even worthy of the "scumbags" that you detest. We eventually vote for an entirely new set of folks to do "the will of the people" without ever blaming ourselves that we have let our "will" become chaotically parochial and self-destructive. Government does poorly, because we have become proudly ungovernable.

No doubt, we get what we deserve. However liberals seem to think that more centralized power - socialized health care, free state-run higher ed, greater regulatory powers - is the right approach. I'd argue that our sprawling bureaucracies and lying, corrupt politicians - who we elect, no doubt - don't exactly lend themselves to more control and power. Me, I'd rather give more control, power, money to the states, to local government, and back to the people.

Quote:
BTW, any response to the fact that most non-immigrant states and regions are the most virulently anti-immigrant?
Sorry got tied up then forgot about it.

Are those states 'virulently anti-immigrant' or are they just shitty states to live in? On the scale of 1 to California where do those states rank in terms of their appeal to job seekers, corporations? Just because immigrants don't want to live there and they haven't grown, doesn't mean there's any correlation there. Also, saying 'wage stagnation is due to a lot of factors'...absolutely. And one of the factors is 11 million illegal immigrants. My point isn't that immigration is to blame for all the countries ills, only that it is one of the components and when a high-profile, long-running fight in Congress is about securing our borders and enforcing immigration laws, you'd bet your ass I'd be more aligned with the party that at least gives lip service to being tougher on immigration if I worked in a blue collar, manual labor field.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Jul 18, 18 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

you're posting what the other republicans have posted: basically, that obama was also a traitor. that he also sold his country down the river. that he also threw all america's allies under the bus and that he also cozied up to tyrant after tyrant. no. he didn't. you just didn't like his policies. but he never betrayed america.

by saying "all politicians are scumbags", first, that's lazy. no. they're not. there are plenty of hardworking, honest, honorable politicians in both parties. second, that's just another statement that elevates trump and debases those you don't like so that trump can be excused. and, i know you're not excusing trump, but... you are. placing trump and everyone in the same pot inoculates you from making any hard decisions about this guy.

no, i don't think only one side is evil. i think one man is the problem. your decision is what your posture should be toward that man.

every time you write this, every time you try to bring those you don't like down to trump's level, you normalize betrayal. all this but... but... but... shows that your party is more important than your country. and, i get that. for some people it is.

comey, schmidt, and a lot of other republicans are telling those who listen to them to vote democrat this november, and they aren't even parsing between the palatable versus unpalatable democrats. they're reacting to folks like you, who are building a rationale for continuing to enable the spineless congress who's prostrate before this despot.
Wow...believe what you want to believe. I didn't vote for Trump and I never would. I've said more than enough about how much I despise the man and what he's doing to the presidency so I'm not going to bother again. At no time did I equate what anyone else has said or done to Trump. My 'party' is actually Libertarian.

Whatever...my first post in this thread was simply to point out that there are crazies on both sides of the aisle and that the majority middle of rational, moral, hard-working, tax paying citizens really need to see that they're more alike than different. I guess you're either disproving that notion or you're more aligned with the blind, partisan left than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
However liberals seem to think that more centralized power - socialized health care, free state-run higher ed, greater regulatory powers - is the right approach.

Of course, that works in dozens of countries. We are far outliers in several of those areas. You can argue that even more unequal access to higher education, and that further privatized health care will lead to even greater levels of "winning", but the shortcomings of this country are far more attributable to an ideology at odds with reality.

Regarding immigration, I already pointed out that immigration has many positive elements. Also I pointed out that unemployment and under-employment is at a historic minimum. I pointed out that anti-immigrant sentiment is generally strongest where it isn't a major issue. Your single example (your uncle) didn't even differentiate between undocumented and legal immigrants. The more one examines the issue, the worse the rationale appears.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
trimick wrote:

There's a lot of confusion in your post. You say that you're not equating them, but then use terms like "doing similar things" and "Obama doing similar stuff".

Then you say Trump has "gone above and beyond" which concurs with your original point that they are not on par.

All politicians lie. Bush senior said "Read my lips: no new taxes" and then raised taxes. Obama backtracked on his promises re ACA of being able to keep your doctor, although it could be argued that when he made the statement he intended to keep the promise.

The key differences with Trump are: A) he lies when he doesn't have to lie - it's almost like he can't help it, or he enjoys it (it's not even clear if he knows he's lying sometimes, and B) he lies to serve himself and in doing so is breaching the oath of office he took to serve the American people.

Your post sums up my point nicely so thanks for it. You talk about Bush lying yet don't take up for him at all. Then you talk about Obama lying and then try to soften his lie. Obama knew that his keep your plan and doctor line was a blatant lie. He lied so he could get his bill passed because he knew that without the lie the bill wouldn't get passed. Multiple people that wrote the bill have said that they knew that he way lying but said nothing, Rep Yarmuth, and Ezekiel Emmanuel to name two. Anyone that knows anything about insurance knew that it was a lie and it wasn't how the insurance business works.

So are you fine with politicians lying when they have to get a bill passed or get elected, because that is what it sounds like from your point A?

Fair point. I do believe that Bush senior didn't intend to raise taxes when in office, though let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time a campaign promise was broken. If Obama knowingly lied to get his ACA passed that is indeed worse than breaking a campaign promise.

As for Trump, I think he is compromised by the Russians, which is on a whole different level. I just don't see how he stands next to Putin and throws his intelligence agencies under the bus unless he's completely compromised. Can there be another explanation? I read Michael Goodwin's theory in The Post (a conservative who generally supports Trump), and it was wholly unconvincing. Goodwin argued that Trump is so distracted with the Mueller probe, that he fell into the trap of conflating Russian meddling with his campaign's collusion. He should have separated the two, denouncing the first while denying the second. That wouldn't be hard to do, so sorry, I don't buy that.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump is biggest foe. He and team considering handing over former ambassador mcfaul to Russians for questioning. What a bunch of fucktards. Tit for tat on Russians just indicted.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So now that Trump’s intelligence agency, Fox News, is reporting he received highly classified intel that Putin personally ordered the election meddling, how long does this charade continue? Longer than he spewed the birther non-sense?
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Trump is biggest foe. He and team considering handing over former ambassador mcfaul to Russians for questioning. What a bunch of fucktards. Tit for tat on Russians just indicted.

Wow. Just Wow.
In the past the US State Dep't (and WH) would go to great lengths to defend and protect American service people, diplomats, and officials who got into trouble abroad.
Under this regime the US is entertaining the idea of letting corrupt, dictators request delivery of American ex-officials because they may have opposed the dictator?
Where does this go from here? If a US soldier shoots at a Russian plane that is entered US military no-fly zone in Syria or Afghanistan, will Donnie consider Putin's request to hand that serviceman over to the Russians?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
trimick wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
trimick wrote:

Fair point. I do believe that Bush senior didn't intend to raise taxes when in office, though let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time a campaign promise was broken. If Obama knowingly lied to get his ACA passed that is indeed worse than breaking a campaign promise.

As for Trump, I think he is compromised by the Russians, which is on a whole different level. I just don't see how he stands next to Putin and throws his intelligence agencies under the bus unless he's completely compromised. Can there be another explanation? I read Michael Goodwin's theory in The Post (a conservative who generally supports Trump), and it was wholly unconvincing. Goodwin argued that Trump is so distracted with the Mueller probe, that he fell into the trap of conflating Russian meddling with his campaign's collusion. He should have separated the two, denouncing the first while denying the second. That wouldn't be hard to do, so sorry, I don't buy that.

There is no doubt that Obama knowingly lied about the ACA to get it passed. There is zero chance that he believed what he was saying, but he knew that he couldn't be honest about the bill and get it passed. I met with my Rep Yarmuth, who had admitted that he knew Obama was lying at the time, and he said that he didn't have enough time to explain it was so complicated to explain despite the fact that he had 3 90 minute town hall meetings about it. Just complete crap from the Dem side on the passage of the bill and no one on the left said anything about that. In fact people like you are still making excuses about "their team". This tribalism is what is wrong with this country right now and you and Dan are part of the problem.

We will see what happens when all the facts are on the table, but it doesn't look good for Trump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our biggest foe is ourselves, for picking in most part greedy leaders who have no problem spending us to oblivion. There is also the blind media who endlessly cover the shiny penny of sensational news and ignore the towering debt we are accruing,

http://usdebtclock.org/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
think i heard this in the army many moons ago and pertains to my feelings on trump
"i wouldn't piss in his mouth if his guts were on fire"

and i would not change WOULDN'T later.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
trimick wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
trimick wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
trimick wrote:

There is no doubt that Obama knowingly lied about the ACA to get it passed. There is zero chance that he believed what he was saying, but he knew that he couldn't be honest about the bill and get it passed. I met with my Rep Yarmuth, who had admitted that he knew Obama was lying at the time, and he said that he didn't have enough time to explain it was so complicated to explain despite the fact that he had 3 90 minute town hall meetings about it. Just complete crap from the Dem side on the passage of the bill and no one on the left said anything about that. In fact people like you are still making excuses about "their team". This tribalism is what is wrong with this country right now and you and Dan are part of the problem.

We will see what happens when all the facts are on the table, but it doesn't look good for Trump.

You need to back up and see the difference. There's selling out Americans to... other Americans (to the insurance industry in Obama's case, or to the rich for the recent Republican tax cuts).

And there's selling out to a foreign power / adversary. If you can't figure the disconnect between those two, there's no hope for you.

I don't need to back up and see anything. The last is worse than the first but not having an issue about the first is wrong. We need to hold our elected representatives to higher standard than it is fine to lie, cheat and sell out the American people to your donors as long as they are Americans. Again by not calling out your own parties lies and demonizing the other party you set the conditions for the two candidates being Hillary and Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As per today's tweets, the American media and free press are the "enemy of the people".

My grandfather was a Colonel in the Polish Army and fought the Soviets on Poland's eastern front the when they invaded Poland in 1939. He continued to resist as a member of the underground army after Poland fell. He survived the war but in 1947 he, like most Polish officers, was labeled an 'enemy of the people' and handed over to the Soviets.
He got 'lucky' - a life (death) sentence in a forced-labor work camp east of the Urals. The 'un-lucky' ones were simply executed in secret. He and one other officer managed to escape the camp, and in a story worthy of a Hollywood movie, strapped themselves to the undercarriage of a train for several days and escaped the Soviet Union, eventually making it out into Romania then back north to Poland.

Stalin used the "enemy of the people" moniker to dehumanize and to justify terrible injustices that were done to those that opposed him. Trump's statements and actions have shades of this. His language and actions are those of someone who believes that the state and people are His. Now that He became President, the USA is somehow indebted to Him for his brilliant leadership and there is some implicit contract to serve Him. You can see this from his 'enemy of the people' statements or his off-the-cuff remarks like that "His" people (note the possessive) should be as obedient as Kim Jong Un's people. "
‘He speaks, and his people sit up in attention. I want my people to do the same.’" - Trump's quote from a Fox News interview

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
As per today's tweets, the American media and free press are the "enemy of the people".

My grandfather was a Colonel in the Polish Army and fought the Soviets on Poland's eastern front the when they invaded Poland in 1939. He continued to resist as a member of the underground army after Poland fell. He survived the war but in 1947 he, like most Polish officers, was labeled an 'enemy of the people' and handed over to the Soviets.
He got 'lucky' - a life (death) sentence in a forced-labor work camp east of the Urals. The 'un-lucky' ones were simply executed in secret. He and one other officer managed to escape the camp, and in a story worthy of a Hollywood movie, strapped themselves to the undercarriage of a train for several days and escaped the Soviet Union, eventually making it out into Romania then back north to Poland.

Stalin used the "enemy of the people" moniker to dehumanize and to justify terrible injustices that were done to those that opposed him. Trump's statements and actions have shades of this. His language and actions are those of someone who believes that the state and people are His. Now that He became President, the USA is somehow indebted to Him for his brilliant leadership and there is some implicit contract to serve Him. You can see this from his 'enemy of the people' statements or his off-the-cuff remarks like that "His" people (note the possessive) should be as obedient as Kim Jong Un's people. "
‘He speaks, and his people sit up in attention. I want my people to do the same.’" - Trump's quote from a Fox News interview

Lol. Tomorrow, lookout for gulags opening up in a neighborhoods near you.

Something that's real- Today the US government just (like everyday) borrowed another $4 billion, this will all be ignored until it can't, at this point it will be to late to fix anything. This political bickering going now will be the biggest joke of all. But keep engaged with the salacious media, I'm sure a lot will come from it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

This ex-FoxNews analyst, Lt. Col. Ralph Peters, concurs with your assessment of how dangerous it is for Trump to be labelling the media the "enemy of the people" and likens it to Stalin's and Robespierre's tactics.

https://www.cnn.com/...press-ac-sot-vpx.cnn

"Without a free press, as our founding fathers recognised, democracy cannot function."
- Peters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

Damn, that is quite the story!

It seems that Bob Woodward has a book on Trump coming out on 9/11...Looking forward to reading it.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems that Bob Woodward has a book on Trump coming out on 9/11

I wonder if he meant anything by the date of release?

Trump and his supporters will start personal attacks on Woodward in 3, 2, 1...

Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the release date of 9/11 is entirely coincidental and he didn't mean anything by it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Clearly by this person's rational twitter argument, it it Mueller and 17 Angry Democrats.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: The biggest foes of the USA [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exhibit A for the biggest foes of the USA, repeating what their MAN says verbatim.

I give you Trump supporters.

https://twitter.com/...365424664581/video/1
Quote Reply

Prev Next