Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why is the Sport Called 'Soccer' in the U.S.?
Quote | Reply
The U.S., Canada, Japan and a few other countries call the sport known as "football" in most of the rest of the world "soccer." Turns out that, like the sport itself, the word "soccer" is itself an export from England, and it had its genesis in the term "association football." The English being the English, of course, that somehow turned into "soccer." For reasons known only to God, Queen and Country, right? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Why is the Sport Called 'Soccer' in the U.S.? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was actually interesting.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Why is the Sport Called 'Soccer' in the U.S.? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
That was actually interesting.

I honestly had no idea why football is called soccer in the U.S. Not a clue that the word soccer came from England along with the sport itself. I thought it was some mangled American malaprop (rather than a mangled British malaprop ;-).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I honestly had no idea why football is called soccer in the U.S.

Bob's your uncle.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've settled on calling soccer metric football.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
The U.S., Canada, Japan and a few other countries call the sport known as "football" in most of the rest of the world "soccer." Turns out that, like the sport itself, the word "soccer" is itself an export from England, and it had its genesis in the term "association football." The English being the English, of course, that somehow turned into "soccer." For reasons known only to God, Queen and Country, right? ;-)

Without Google-fu, do you know why rugby is called rugby?
Quote Reply
Re: Why is the Sport Called 'Soccer' in the U.S.? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It saves confusion.

This is football:
Footy!

By contrast, this is soccer:
Soccer

In Oz, soccer, always referred to as soccer, was traditionally the 4th most popular code of football, after Aussie Rules (footy), rugby league (footy) and rugby union (rugby, or sometimes footy).

I actually played soccer, with the Italians and the Poms, although as a kid I was really big and really fast, and received countless overtures to defect to footy or footy, (but not footy, because that was a Victorian thing).
Quote Reply
Re: Why is the Sport Called 'Soccer' in the U.S.? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Something about ruggers or the like? You got me. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Why is the Sport Called 'Soccer' in the U.S.? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Yes, I do. It's also counter-intuitive to consider which code is derivative from which other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Something about ruggers or the like? You got me. ;-)

Someone (accounts and timelines differ, although the enduring version is that it was a pupil named William Webb Ellis) at a school in Warwickshire decided to spice up a game of football by picking up the ball and running with it.

The name of the school (and the town in which it was located)...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An explanation here as to how these sports came to thier names. http://www.businessinsider.com/...all-it-soccer-2014-6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because it is said the at the Boys Boarding School based in the town of Rugby - one boy got bored kicking the ball - picked it up and ran with it -thus started the greatest team sport know to man!!

Retired Scrum Half!!! LOL

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more important question is "why is gridiron called football when noone actually kicks the ball?"
Quote Reply
Re: Why is the Sport Called 'Soccer' in the U.S.? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
The more important question is "why is gridiron called football when noone actually kicks the ball?"

Quote Reply
Re: Why is the Sport Called 'Soccer' in the U.S.? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was called grid-iron because be had grid-lines on it. Soccer's true name is Wendy Ball. Although the last four matches of Soccer in the World Cup were very pleasing to the eyes. No acting and respect for match officials on top of the great skills on display.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply