Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Continental Tires; why so expensive?
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for some new road tires (clinchers) and have been reading the posts lately regarding tires and there are some very high marks for Continental tires such as the Attack/Force and GP 3000 & 4000 series. My only question is why are Continental tires always the most expensive tire and for some reason never really seem to be on sale? I really want to try some, but it's hard to justify speanding the extra money over tires like the Michelin Pro Race's which are cheaper and an excellent tire. Are the Continental's really that good? (approx $60.00 per tire)

Thanks for any comments
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Tires; why so expensive? [Wells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are pretty nice tires.

The biggest reason why they are so expensive is the price. The price is quite high. :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price should not be a limiting factor, considering you should be able to buy them online for about 1/2 of retail. I paid $50 for my conti attack/force set. There's a website that sells only tires, all at a considerable discount. Can't remember the name though.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Tires; why so expensive? [DualFual] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biketiresdirect.com is one good tire site.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Tires; why so expensive? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's the one.

Quote Reply
Re: Continental Tires; why so expensive? [DualFual] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the infor on this web site. This is exactly what I am looking for. This is one of the only places I have seen the Continental tires with good prices. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've got the Michelin Pro Race 2 on closeout, also a great tire. http://www.biketiresdirect.com/...ctdetail.asp?p=MIMPR

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti's are worth it. I run over everything with no problems.

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Tires; why so expensive? [jedi_tri_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree that they are that gone through two sets of gatortreads, averaging just over 2000 miles on a set and had at least a dozen flats with each. I have been careful with them (tire pressure, mounting, dont intentionally run over glass, etc but still got flats.

Looking now for another tires for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Tires; why so expensive? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]The biggest reason why they are so expensive is the price. The price is quite high. :)[/reply]

Whoulda thunk it?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental Tires; why so expensive? [Ancient1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised

I have been noted as a Conti hater but I've had very good results with my gatorskins last season. 3000 miles on the rear with probably a 1000 miles left on it.

Of course I'm fairly light at 145lbs

Are we using different tires?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had lots of flats and low mileage before tire death with Gatorskins. I would get flats about every 100 mi. I switched to 700x25 Armadillos, had no more flats and got about 6500 mi out of the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it's the luck of the draw. 4000+ miles on min Ultragatorskins and I've only two or three flats this year that I can remember and they were when I hit some pretty good potholes.

Run it at 120psi and I weight 140lbs.

The front tire shows no sign of wear at all.

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply