Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Happy 151th Birthday Canada: What's your Canada Day Set
Quote | Reply
Hey fellow Canadian STer's....Happy Canada Day. Thankful everyday that my parents chose to immigrate to here in 1965 (seems like ages ago....oh yeah, it is). Since this is a triathlon forum, would like to recognize some major Canadian Contributions to this sport on Canada Day (feel free to insert wearing your maple leaf):

1. Ironman Canada Penticton and the legacy of volunteers and organizers
  2. 1983 and 1984 Kona World Champions Sylvianne and Patricia Puntous
  3. Jo Anne Ritchie, our first ITU World Champion
  4. Graham Fraser for taking Ironman to every corner of the Continental US, kicking off with IM Lake Placidi
  5. Gerard and Phil at Cervelo
  6. Louis @ Louis Garneau
  7. Les MacDonald (oh man, I can't believe I am saying this but I am)
  8. Simon Whitfield
  9. Carol Montgomery, Sydney Olympian in the 10,000m and triathlon (crashed in the tri, could not do the 10,000), silver ITU World's 2000 Perth on an 8K short course...DAMN....32:11 10K PB
  10. Peter Reid, Lori Bowden, Heather Fuhr (OK people who is next to win Kona)
  11. The organizers of ITU Worlds in Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver
  12. Marc Roy and the team at Sportstats....enough said (sorry I am biased)
  13. Dominique Piche....IM Tremblant and 70.3 World's organizer...best event on the planet outside of Kona
  14. Lisa Bentley winning all those Ironmans while fighting Cystic Fibrosis...she should be dead a long time ago and was racing pro and podium'd in Kona with half a body of a normal pro
  15. Lionel Sanders for doing everything non conventionally and setting the second fastest time EVER in KONA

OK, keep adding because I am missing great contributions to triathlon. Happy Birthday. My set today will be down on the trainer and rowing machine. No double Meech Lake crossing 8k swim as I did last year due to non functioning arm due to doing bicep curls with school bus weight on top lying on the pavement....oh well.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 1, 18 4:05
Quote Reply
Re: Happy 151th Birthday Canada: What's your Canada Day Set [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd probably throw Cody Beal's name into the ring.

Some consistent results, including his back to back wins this year. I'm not sure if that's been done before?

My day today was sleeping in this morning so I'm running in the late afternoon in this heat. Whee.
Quote Reply
Re: Happy 151th Birthday Canada: What's your Canada Day Set [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadians, and those who wish they were!

Addition to your list: John Salt and his crew at Multisport Canada who have run the best triathlon series around and have introduced many of us to the sport with events including Kids-of-steel, Try-a-tri, spint, Oly, half distance and duathlon, and swim/bike. In addition the elites and pros have honed their skills in this race series. Also John and team are the creators of the awesome Barrelman half in Niagara Falls.

Set for today; after a leisurely breakfast and coffee, a mini swim/run workout. Ten min run, 15 min swim, 15 run, 10 swim, 10 run, 10 swim, 5 min run and another jump in the river. It's 30 degrees out and the water is 23 degrees. All is good.
Be safe out there and have fun training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today is a planed day off....but I did do the 100m tot trot with my daughter this morning in kanata....I'm pretty sure I got dehydrated in the half hour we were outside this morning!

Stay hydrated out there today....it's a hot one!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Canadian but massive respect for all of these Canadian contributions to this sport we all love. Today was 80 miles on my Cervelo with Garneau shorts, unfortunately not in Canada but rather in humid, 95 degree F (35C) North Carolina.
Quote Reply
Re: Happy 151th Birthday Canada: What's your Canada Day Set [bullmoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bullmoose wrote:
Not Canadian but massive respect for all of these Canadian contributions to this sport we all love. Today was 80 miles on my Cervelo with Garneau shorts, unfortunately not in Canada but rather in humid, 95 degree F (35C) North Carolina.

It was 37C here in Canada's Capital....23C hotter than my buddies place at the Canadian Embassy at the equator in Nairobi !!!! Glad you enjoyed the Cervelo and Garneau gear, not like I can take any more credit for it than anyone of you guys down south!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a Canadian but at least I had a big training day for IM Canada in a few weeks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
bullmoose wrote:

It was 37C here in Canada's Capital....23C hotter than my buddies place at the Canadian Embassy at the equator in Nairobi !!!! Glad you enjoyed the Cervelo and Garneau gear, not like I can take any more credit for it than anyone of you guys down south!!!

4hour ride around the Lac Ste-Marie area.

Argon bike, Garneau clothing

15% aerobic decoupling with the heat.

Then a swim in the Gatineau River.

Molson beer for the 5 a 7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev - Since no one else has given you a swim set, here's one written especially for you in your injured condition: 151 x 25 m kick on 1:00-1:15, alternating strokes in IM order (IMO). Since for many swimmers their diff stroke kicks are not the same speed, feel free to change the interval as needed on the diff kicks. Further, if needed, use fins on some portion of the set. For next year when you can presumably swim with your arms, 152 x 50 m on 1:00 IMO. There you go, 2 Canada Days knocked out. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Bates is definitely part of Canada's triathlon legacy. Though likely not known outside of Canada or the triathlon community.

My Canada day workout was a trainer ride before heading off to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that’s incredibly hot!!! Yes, I do love my Cervelo. It’s hard to fully realize the sheer size of their impact on the technology and trends of this sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you all have jonnyo, too!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Birthday, ya'll!

Not Canadian, but I pulled out my Expo '67 pins. Yep, I was there.
Quote Reply