Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ROTH 2018 [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes well then you are assuming he is overbiking, which is not necessarily true. We saw the same thing with Björn, people accused him of overbiking but didn’t understand that him biking 5 min slower wouldnt result in him running 5+ min faster.
Some are just better bikers, and for sure he doesn’t have the running base the others do so there is improvement to be made eitger way.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said, I may be wrong. Not long before we get to see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He won't swim front pack.
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He'll never come close to swimming in the front pack in Kona and he'd be the first to tell you that. Roth was a wetsuit swim, in a narrow canal, with no strong swimmers in the mix. Kona is a very different beast in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wurf has proven to be the Lance Armstrong replacement.. so far. It would be great if he came to do super frog 70.3 and beat Lance's 2:02 bike split. If so.. we can assume last year what wurf did would have been what Lance was capable of at Kona
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We talked with Wurf post race and he is not racing Frankfurt.

Swim is exact but easy to sight. Bike has always been 111. Run is exact - loved the new course.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Yes well then you are assuming he is overbiking, which is not necessarily true. We saw the same thing with Björn, people accused him of overbiking but didn’t understand that him biking 5 min slower wouldnt result in him running 5+ min faster.
Some are just better bikers, and for sure he doesn’t have the running base the others do so there is improvement to be made eitger way.

I heard an interview with Wurf where he said he was riding fairly comfortably and wanted to keep Kienle on his wheel, but he accidently dropped him!
I guess he could run faster if he biked slowed, but it probably wouldn't be worth his while.

Who is talking about a guy who bikes 4:15 and runs 2:51? He came 5th but is the talk of the town!
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
oscaro wrote:

I heard an interview with Wurf where he said he was riding fairly comfortably and wanted to keep Kienle on his wheel, but he accidently dropped him!
I guess he could run faster if he biked slowed, but it probably wouldn't be worth his while.

Who is talking about a guy who bikes 4:15 and runs 2:51? He came 5th but is the talk of the town!

Here is the funny thing....Kienle just did the 3rd fastest time EVER at Roth. He biked 4:07 and ran 2:48. He's barely been mentioned in this thread. I hope Sebi can repeat that type of form in Kona and run 2:50 flat after marking Wurf for the bike. I don't think Frodo is letting these guys run away. He needs a bit of a gap on Gomez and Lange at T2. Kienle and Wurf are the train (along with Lionel).
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know which WTC Ironman Kienle will use to validate?
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t he do Cozumel last year? Think he has the validation now
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [plhci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you're right he did. Forgot about that one.
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Garmins had 110.6 for the bike and 25.95 for the run.

monty wrote:
So what did all you who did it get on your garmins, looks like the one here on the bike so far has it a little over a mile short? I know the swim there, it is fast as it is a drag race in a canal, so swim times look fine for a wetsuit swim..(was it for pros?)
Other bike and run #'s? In my day this race was blatantly short, but seems like it is just WTC short now...
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David....I think you passed me on that hill just before Solar Berg on the first lap.......I saw your name and the American Flag...I was going to shout out..."Hey are you David from Slowtwitch?" I think you were wearing Black/Red? Didn't have the best first lap on the bike but amazing day and amazing race!
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [triagain15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Yes! That was me. Simply amazing isn’t it? I can’t wait till next time :-)

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jul 5, 18 11:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It truly was amazing....wish I had my camera on me....the balloons at the start throwing glitter down, the shear amount of people watching the swim....who watches the swim....but everyone was there!
The crowd support was unreal. I was telling someone it makes Lake Placid look like a local sprint race!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Did you do Nice, Roth and Zofingen? //

Did Nice a couple times, and Zofingen once or twice, cannot recall. Never did Roth, but rode in the lead vehicle the year Jurgen won and watched the entire race from the front. No garmins back then, but I checked a dozen or so avocet's after the bike in transition, and course was 6 to 8k short. Run was a bit short too back then.. That was all between 85 and 90 I believe.

Those were early but exciting tech innovation times... Jurgen was 6'2 testing a beam bike with 26 inch wheels with 8 carbon spokes in each (spinergy)...and he ran in super light shoes designed to last no more than 100km...the yellow Nike MayFly... Named after the insect that only lives one day

ETA : those shoes were 135 grams!

http://blog.size.co.uk/2016/02/28/a-brief-history-nike-mayfly/
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jul 6, 18 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [triagain15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a photo album from our trip . . . Challenge Roth 2018 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/XTrUnVZ8cYnnW1hL8 for those who weren't there maybe it can give a bit of flavor to the experience.

By the way, one of the highlights is the Challenge Women 5k race . . . my bride was 1st 55 - 59!

David
Last edited by: david: Jul 10, 18 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Never did Roth, but rode in the lead vehicle the year Jurgen won and watched the entire race from the front. No garmins back then, but I checked a dozen or so avocet's after the bike in transition, and course was 6 to 8k short. Run was a bit short too back then.. That was all between 85 and 90 I believe."
------------------------------------------
The race was only full distance a time or two in those years - I believe '88 and '90, and then full every year since. Jurgen first race and won in 1989 when it was 1/2 distance. I believe Jurgen first won at the full distance in '93. Probably a coincidence, but my first two times there were '89 and '93. Every time I have done the full my cyclometer/avocet/garmin said 111 on the bike. The run was always within a very reasonable margin of error (as close as any other IM). My swims in Roth have always been right in line with other wetsuit swims - Canada, Lake Placid, Coeur d'Alene, etc.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Here is a photo album from our trip . . . https://photos.google.com/...WY2ya2FD_iRWecavOrh9 for those who weren't there maybe it can give a bit of flavor to the experience.

By the way, one of the highlights is the Challenge Women 5k race . . . my bride was 1st 55 - 59!

Can't access the album. :(

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Re: ROTH 2018 [pmatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Sorry – I’m not good at this stuff. Does this link work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XTrUnVZ8cYnnW1hL8

David
Quote Reply

Prev Next