Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

36 hours to find a bike- IRONMAN Haugesund minor Emergency - Airline lost Bike
Quote | Reply
My Brother in Law is racing IM Norway July 2. The Airline lost his bike and wheel bag, with no idea where it is. His plan is to rent a cruiser commuter bike in town... But that’s a long way to travel from a Houston, Texas to race 112mi on a cruiser.

Shot in the dark- anyone in the area have a 54-56” bike he could use? Any shop suggestions?

Thank you ST Nation.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Last edited by: yoe400800: Jun 29, 18 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: 36 hours to find a bike- IRONMAN Haugesund minor Emergency - Airline lost Bike [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UPDATE:
Wheels, wetsuit, shoes, goggles showed up. Just need a frame and helmet. Please!

-
Quote Reply
Re: 36 hours to find a bike- IRONMAN Haugesund minor Emergency - Airline lost Bike [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, that sucks.

I think the conventional advice in similar situations is get down to the expo ASAP and see if he can use one of the vendor bikes. Others have had success with this route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yoe400800 wrote:
UPDATE:
Wheels, wetsuit, shoes, goggles showed up. Just need a frame and helmet. Please!

Have him call the local bike stores

In a pinch I was able to rent a very nice bike for a Tri and was very happy with it

Cost something around $100
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted your post on Ironman Haugesund's Facebook page.
Haugesund is a small city, but a city full of really nice people.

Hopefully your brother in law will race on something comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: 36 hours to find a bike- IRONMAN Haugesund minor Emergency - Airline lost Bike [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thank you all very much!

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi
The race director for IM Haugesund just PM me.
He asked your bother in law to contact him directly and that he will help to solve this.

https://www.facebook.com/ironmanhaugesund/posts/2313972605331832?comment_id=2314012888661137&notif_id=1530294058325348&notif_t=feed_comment

I have PMed you the RD's cell phone number

Last edited by: Halvard: Jun 29, 18 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: 36 hours to find a bike- IRONMAN Haugesund minor Emergency - Airline lost Bike [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard, thank you so much for your help . He actually just got a call his bike was shipped to another airport. I guess there are no buses or ferries the rest of the day (not sure what time it is there) but he will catch a bus tomorrow morning. Thanks for your kindness!

Dan

If you’re ever in Chicago let me know!

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small world! Bike is in my car and it will be handed over tomorrow!

I was at IM Expo representing sailfish, IM RD asked me if I knew someone heading up from Stavanger (as I live there and bike was stranded there). He had arranged to collect it from customs.

I didnt find someone, but as my 15 year old was home alone I had now had another good reason to head home for the night.

Collected bike 1 hr ago and will get it to Haugesund 10am ish tomorrow.
Last edited by: thorxtri: Jun 29, 18 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: 36 hours to find a bike- IRONMAN Haugesund minor Emergency - Airline lost Bike [thorxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tusen takk. Utrolig bra :-)

All the thanks should go to the local organizers in Haugesund and the surrounding area.
They are amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: 36 hours to find a bike- IRONMAN Haugesund minor Emergency - Airline lost Bike [thorxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is amazing!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the kind of tale that would usually show up in a click-bait BuzzFeed article. Pretty incredible of all parties involved!

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was your brother in law's race at IM Norway?
Did everything work out?

I could tell from the broadcast that the swimming course was new and innovating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked up the swim course after reading your comment - that's definitely an unusual shape. I'd probably get horribly lost on it!
Quote Reply
Re: 36 hours to find a bike- IRONMAN Haugesund minor Emergency - Airline lost Bike [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Looked up the swim course after reading your comment - that's definitely an unusual shape. I'd probably get horribly lost on it!

Go to 22 minutes in this video and you will see that the swim course has lines like a pool. So it is actually really easy to swim in.
You will not be lost :-)

Even better, go to 54 minutes and you will see it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_PXW_cUBr8&t=15385s

Last edited by: Halvard: Jul 1, 18 20:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh thanks for the link! I see what you mean. Now I'm thinking maybe my first IM should be Norway (I am contemplating Copenhagen).
Quote Reply