Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit dilemma
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

So over the winter i've been working on my swim really hard and have seen huge gains, now swimming along with some of the fastest (not pure swimmers) in the pool.
However, ive been struggling in my wetsuit swims when doing openwater training this year. I feel unbalanced in the water and i effectivly swimming slower with my wetsuit than without (however still faster than last season). I figured out that my wetsuit just gives me to much bouyancy, making my kick ineffective and destabilizing me as a whole.

I swim in a zoot zforce 5 now, and know that zoot has thicker neoprene and offers larger bouyancypanels. The suit has been used for a few years now and ive patched it up more than a few times.

I went by my local shop today and fitted a 2xu p2, which is suposed to favor more natural swimmers and have less extreme bouyancy compared to the zoot. It felt awesome (as every bit of new and shiny kit does).
However, budget is tight at the moment and I'm in doubt how much of a difference it will make and how much i'll gain. My reasoning is that if i want to hit more top10's or even try to podium i shouldn't be swimming in something that is litteraly holding me back. However, does the cost relative to the performance gain worth it..? And yes i have considered going wetsuitless in my next race (however cocky that might sound).

If i'm spending hard earned cash from my uni weekendjob on trainingcamps at altitude, live like a monk for months and am getting results in return.. does it make sense to take the gamble and buy a new suit (with the risk of not seeing the improvement i thought id get and realizing i just suck at wetsuit swimming) ?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit dilemma [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Hi there,

I figured out that my wetsuit just gives me to much bouyancy, making my kick ineffective and destabilizing me as a whole.

Given that kick is such a small part of swimming (well, forward propulsion) in a wetsuit, are you sure this is the case? As in you are guessing 'figured out' or have good reason to know?

Why not just get a good mid level suit that is appropriate to your needs (not so much buoyancy) and doesn't break the bank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something is not adding up. Wetsuit should be faster than no wetsuit. Are you certain the suit fits properly? If it's too loose, it might slow you down. Otherwise, a properly fitting wetsuit is always faster. Swimming in a wetsuit will feel different, might even feel slower, but you WILL be faster on the clock.

I might recommend two things before spending new money: 1) Confirm your current suit fits properly, and 2) Perform a time trial with and without the wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit dilemma [rat23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:

Given that kick is such a small part of swimming (well, forward propulsion) in a wetsuit, are you sure this is the case? As in you are guessing 'figured out' or have good reason to know?

Why not just get a good mid level suit that is appropriate to your needs (not so much buoyancy) and doesn't break the bank.

As you said, a small part of forward propulsion.. but key in stabilizing your body as you roll and thus a key element in an efficient stroke. My legs are to high in the water, often coming out of the water and thus breaking the stabilizing movement. In the pool i seem to have a very streamlined position just below the surface, which is perfect.. but with a wetsuit i seem to be to high.
And im looking at the 2xu p2 which is midrange. Im not spending money on a entry level suit.

rat23 wrote:
Something is not adding up. Wetsuit should be faster than no wetsuit. Are you certain the suit fits properly? If it's too loose, it might slow you down. Otherwise, a properly fitting wetsuit is always faster. Swimming in a wetsuit will feel different, might even feel slower, but you WILL be faster on the clock.

I might recommend two things before spending new money: 1) Confirm your current suit fits properly, and 2) Perform a time trial with and without the wetsuit.

Ive been swimming in the suit for 3-4 years now. I know how to put it on. And no, even when timetrialling im not faster. I clock 1:20/100m in a 50m pool with ease, and end up swimming 1:30-1:35/100m with my wetsuit in openwater.
I start weekly openwater training in april of each year and do the rest of my 4 swims/week in the pool. So i do out in the work with the suit and have been analyzing this for a while now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

2) Perform a time trial with and without the wetsuit.

I clock 1:20/100m in a 50m pool with ease, and end up swimming 1:30-1:35/100m with my wetsuit in openwater.

I'm no expert but this doesn't seem to be a fair comparison based on the many variables of an OWS. Maybe try an open water swim without a wetsuit and see how that time matches up.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit dilemma [grtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grtri wrote:
Fusion wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

2) Perform a time trial with and without the wetsuit.

I clock 1:20/100m in a 50m pool with ease, and end up swimming 1:30-1:35/100m with my wetsuit in openwater.

I'm no expert but this doesn't seem to be a fair comparison based on the many variables of an OWS. Maybe try an open water swim without a wetsuit and see how that time matches up.

Nailed it. Too many variables. Pool swimming does not equal OWS - for many reasons. Maybe you push off the wall really hard in the pool and guess what? ...no wall in OW. Need apples to apples to jump to the conclusion. You currently have apples and oranges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Hi there,

So over the winter i've been working on my swim really hard and have seen huge gains, now swimming along with some of the fastest (not pure swimmers) in the pool.
However, ive been struggling in my wetsuit swims when doing openwater training this year. I feel unbalanced in the water and i effectivly swimming slower with my wetsuit than without (however still faster than last season). I figured out that my wetsuit just gives me to much bouyancy, making my kick ineffective and destabilizing me as a whole.

I swim in a zoot zforce 5 now, and know that zoot has thicker neoprene and offers larger bouyancypanels. The suit has been used for a few years now and ive patched it up more than a few times.

I went by my local shop today and fitted a 2xu p2, which is suposed to favor more natural swimmers and have less extreme bouyancy compared to the zoot. It felt awesome (as every bit of new and shiny kit does).
However, budget is tight at the moment and I'm in doubt how much of a difference it will make and how much i'll gain. My reasoning is that if i want to hit more top10's or even try to podium i shouldn't be swimming in something that is litteraly holding me back. However, does the cost relative to the performance gain worth it..? And yes i have considered going wetsuitless in my next race (however cocky that might sound).

If i'm spending hard earned cash from my uni weekendjob on trainingcamps at altitude, live like a monk for months and am getting results in return.. does it make sense to take the gamble and buy a new suit (with the risk of not seeing the improvement i thought id get and realizing i just suck at wetsuit swimming) ?

As was said above wetsuit should be MUCH faster

As far as kick I barely move my legs even for balance
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit dilemma [rat23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might recommend two things before spending new money: 1) Confirm your current suit fits properly, and 2) Perform a time trial with and without the wetsuit.[/quote]======================================================================
i think this is your best means at finding reality/the facts/what's going to get you the correct information.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

As you said, a small part of forward propulsion.. but key in stabilizing your body as you roll and thus a key element in an efficient stroke. My legs are to high in the water, often coming out of the water and thus breaking the stabilizing movement. In the pool i seem to have a very streamlined position just below the surface, which is perfect.. but with a wetsuit i seem to be to high.
And im looking at the 2xu p2 which is midrange. Im not spending money on a entry level suit.

rat23 wrote:

Ive been swimming in the suit for 3-4 years now. I know how to put it on. And no, even when timetrialling im not faster. I clock 1:20/100m in a 50m pool with ease, and end up swimming 1:30-1:35/100m with my wetsuit in openwater.
I start weekly openwater training in april of each year and do the rest of my 4 swims/week in the pool. So i do out in the work with the suit and have been analyzing this for a while now.

What is your 100 time in the pool with the wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit dilemma [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just thought doesn’t your local store have one you can rent or use a friends to try?

Seriously the difference between no wetsuit and proper wetsuit is HUGE.

In the pool you should use a couple less strikes per length and/or just about slamming into the end of the pool when you first try it, no matter how much of a natural swimmer you say you are
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you find out that, indeed, your legs are too high and you want them lower, you might consider just cutting off some of the suit's legs to perhaps mid-calf.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is important that you choose a wetsuit that plays to your strengths and helps you compensate for your weaker ones. For example, a new swimmer would be grateful for increased buoyancy which helps conserve energy while an elite athlete may prefer a suit that provides less buoyancy but increased flexibility for higher speeds.

You'll definitely get the suits in your budget if search for the offers on wetsuits this season, there are many sites which are displaying offers this season you can checkout https://www.justwetsuits.com
trivillage.com, swimoutlet.com etc

You can also get some better information here : https://www.justwetsuits.com/...akes-them-different/

Triwilson : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few statements have been posted in this thread which may be misleading for someone in your situation. There was a thread in here recently about sleeved vs sleeveless wetsuits on here recently that might be worth looking up as it provides some useful relevant insights.

Firstly given your speed I would expect the maximum time gains you will see from a wetsuit are on the order of 7-10 sec per 100m. This is still a big deal at the front of the race but means you need to control for other variables well when comparing times. For example if you are in a 25m pool proper turns and underwater work will eat significantly into the time difference. Add any waves or current and your times will be slower OW in a wetsuit than in a pool. Temperature also comes into play if you are swimming in warm-ish water. So you need to compare more of a like-for-like situation to get a better picture of what is going on.

I would also add its very difficult to know precisely far you swim open water which makes time comparisons tricky. DC rainmaker has a lot of data on this issue but don't expect an OW GPS trace to be dead-on. If you are depending on pre-measured course you need to be a straight swimmer to get distance correct.

Overall I suspect you are swimming faster in your wetsuit you just haven't calibrated your expectations correctly.
Quote Reply