Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adjusting Pace in Heat/Humidity?
Quote | Reply
For those of you that live in hot/humid areas of the world, how are you adjusting training paces for the heat and humidity?

For example, I live on the coast in the SE US - this morning, I was to do 12x4 minutes at 70.3 pace, with 1 minute jog. The temperature was 78 degrees at 6am and humidity 98%. What I did was 5 efforts at my actual (cool weather pace) and then proceeded to sit down, quit the workout, then jog home. In looking at calculators, if my efforts were supposed to be at 6:45 pace, I could adjust to around 7:05 pace in that kind of weather. What I'm wondering is for those that have adjusted paces down to 7:05, are you still able to race at 6:45 pace when going to a more dry climate? What are you doing to ensure you're able to hit your goal pace?

I'm racing in Ohio in about 5 weeks which is significantly cooler and less humid, but I'm concerned that if I'm slowing my efforts down I won't be able to bring them back up on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting Pace in Heat/Humidity? [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I look at the Dew Point more and more and not so much the humidity. That being said 78 plus 98% humidity means a very high Dew Point. Anything above 72 is horrid 75+ is just plain miserable. I'd adjust myself up to 30-45 seconds slower per mile when the Dew Point is up there. If the temperature is low and the dew point is low then then I have found I can adjust to my normal pacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live and train in Dallas. I run in the heat all summer at lunch time. I moderate my effort according to RPE/HR. Here's two runs from last year, one in Israel (business travel), one in Colorado about 2 weeks apart.

Israel: July 26, 2017: 77F/83%rh: 8:34/mile @165bpm, 4.24 miles
Colorado: august 12, 2017: 63F/83%rh, 8:04/mile @163bpm, 8.07 miles

YMMV.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 27, 18 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the SE US too. This has been a bad year for me due to big fitness loss from injuries. However, my assessment is that I am off 20 - 30 sec/mile in current conditions (mid 70 degrees and humidity >90%). I am running mid-afternoon as often as I can to speed my acclimation. Plus, my last two races were hot as balls, so I want my next hot race to be much better, so that is another driver for my hot afternoon run acclimation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try running off HR and ignore pace.

I travel and go from hot to hotter to cold all the time. Indoors on unreliable treadmills too. Run all off heart rate. Once I’m back in SD my pace normalizes.
Quote Reply