Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know why Van Lierde rode a P5 and not his P5X during his IM France win?
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P5x is much heavier, and the course is quite hilly. He also ran shallower wheels compared to normal deep front and disc wheel.

Anthony Costes also opted out of using a disc wheel, and I would classify him as one of the most aero obsessed pros out there.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sense but not very good from a marketing perspective if one of your few sponsored athletes won't ride your premium bike for a IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see it as bad marketing. A certain bike or wheel choice is better in a certain scenario. No bike will be the best at everything.

Diamondback athletes also choose the Serios over the Andean for very hilly courses.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as an interesting point, last year he biked almost 5min faster with the P5x vrs this year with the P5.

What we don't know is if power output was similar and also if there were any differences in the conditions wind/weather/etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
as an interesting point, last year he biked almost 5min faster with the P5x vrs this year with the P5.
What we don't know is if power output was similar and also if there were any differences in the conditions wind/weather/etc.

Referring back to the ST piece - Triathlon Bikes in the age of Aero - we can speculate that there is no way the difference in the frame account for 5 minutes. Really we are splitting hairs on the frame. The bike course was actually fast according to trirating than 2017. FVL is getting old + FVL was at the front of the bike for the entire 2017 race versus being overtaken by Cam Wurf in 2018.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, what most captured my attention, is that one could think that as a heavier bike, P5x would be significant slower in a hilly course like IM France.

that doesn't seem to be the case based on comparison to last year, however that's without knowing the full details and data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred, and all our athletes can choose whichever model they feel will be fastest for them on any given race course. Not much different than road teams using the S or R series depending on the course profile. Fred wanted a lighter bike for the hilly course so went with the P5.

Jakub

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here I fixed the marketing slogan.

The P5X, the fastest, most technologically advanced triathlon bike ever made, kind of. *See hilly course disclaimer.
Last edited by: ClarkWGriz: Jun 26, 18 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt you're right
But I also find it funny when people compare frames in the wind tunnel only
-Road feel
-responsiveness
-sponginess standing
-handling in corners
-handeling while braking
- drink bottle placement options
-fit
-comfort
-matches rider style

Of course there's a million race factors like having a injury or not keeping food down....
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to see you coming on here and setting the record straight Jake!

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a luxury stable..."hmm shall I take out the hurcan or the murcelago today?"
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jun 26, 18 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Anyone know why Van Lierde rode a P5 and not his P5X during his IM France win?

Have you seen the course profile?

That should answer your question.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The year I watched some pros rode Road bikes with clip ons instead of thier tt
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
The year I watched some pros rode Road bikes with clip ons instead of thier tt

Doesn't surprise me. There's little that's flat, or 'straight downhill'.

I rode it on my tt bike, but then my road bike is crap, if I had a super fast aero bike I doubt my tt would have been faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred was the "first" to bring a TT bike in Nice for his first victory there in 2011. At the time not riding a road bike on this course was an heresy for most...

His time was slower this year because we were a group of 5 athletes and nobody could escape which lead to a very controlled pace.

For my part, I rode a Cervélo P5 during the race mostly because all my mileage was done on this bike for the past 5 years hence I know by heart how it reacts which is a big advantage on a technical course like Nice. The lighter weight is also good to take but on a rainy day I would have chosen the P5X for the disc brake efficiency in wet downhills.

- Antony Costes -
PhD in Biomechanics / Professional Triathlete (9 pro wins)

"If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it."
Lord Kelvin
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [Tigre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race! Love seeing pros doing some of these "tougher" courses as well. Is Kona your next full?

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Yes, Kona will be my next full. I will first take 2 easy weeks, then will include 70.3 Vichy and 70.3 Nice as "tests" without tapering during my Kona training block.

- Antony Costes -
PhD in Biomechanics / Professional Triathlete (9 pro wins)

"If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it."
Lord Kelvin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edvald Boassen Haagen just won the Norway Nat Champs on a P3, mechanical.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From an aerodynamic perspective, the P5 is one the top bikes on the market. In fact, the only bike that is better is the P5X.
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [Tigre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool to have a proper pro observation

You look really fast! No surprise you won so much already
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what the actual weight different is between the 2 bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Why did FVL ride a P5 and not his P5X at IM France? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weiss rode diamondback serious intead of usual undean at IM Austira last weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
No doubt you're right
But I also find it funny when people compare frames in the wind tunnel only
-Road feel
-responsiveness
-sponginess standing
-handling in corners
-handeling while braking

- drink bottle placement options
-fit
-comfort
-matches rider style

Of course there's a million race factors like having a injury or not keeping food down....

speaking of which, I would have loved to have had disc brakes on those long descents, but it was raining the year I did it. Guess in dry conditions it's not technical enough of a course for that to make a huge difference.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply