Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tshirt quilts
Quote | Reply
I am looking to dispose of many, many old race shirts (or better said, the wife wants me to toss a bunch of old race shirts), but I'd rather make a quilt out of them. But, I have no sewing skills (neither does the wife). So, does anyone know of a good quilt-maker that can use a pile of t-shirt swatches and make a decent quilt? Bonus if you have a recommendation that is Canadian, so I don't have to deal with the border issues.

ccy
Quote Reply
Re: Tshirt quilts [ccy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is uncanny...I was going to post that exact question today

trisha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may be able to help you out. My mom is a master quilter and has taught me a thing or two during mother-son-bonding. How many shirts do you have? How big of a quilt are you after? Are you just looking to use the big image on the back of the shirts in squares then use another solid color or two to give it a little balance? I have one in mind that we did for a friend that was out of his old t-shirts. We had to have all of the shirts 'copied' onto new fabric because they were so worn out but it turned out very nice. Oh yeah, not so fortunate as to live in Canada but for something like this the border issues aren't that big of a pain, are they? I thought it was just commerce type stuff where they like to be involved.
Quote Reply
Re: Tshirt quilts [lajollaseal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trisha, Same applies to you. Do you know what you're want the end product to look like?

I may be able to open a freelance quilting business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing an ad for a company that will turn your old race shirts into a quilt. I don't know which running or tri magazine it was but it was a small ad in the back. Try do a google.

John
"A profoundly peaceful run; a gift to myself" Frazz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe trailbait can do it for you.

Quote | Reply
My daughter makes incredibly comfy and cozy t-shirt quilts! I have several and so do most of my friends as well as people all over the country. :-)

Send her 24 t-shirts and $175 plus $20 return shipping, and she will make you an amazing keepsake quilt........perfect for snuggling on the couch or just to display your tri accomplishments.

Honestly........they are super nice!

PM or email me for more info or pictures.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several companies who do this, I believe one is tshirtquilts.com or something like that, they advertise in the back of Runner's World and maybe Triathlete too, just google "t shirt quilt race shirts" or something like that and you will find it.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tshirt quilts [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i pm'ed you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tshirtquilts.com

I think that's the site. Google it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a local quilting club, or a relative. MY Mother in law made one for my wife and I as a change room curtain for the store. Aunt made us one for the couch. Very much enjoyed.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What will you use to clean your bike with?
Quote Reply
Re: Tshirt quilts [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gail, Dave, I pm'd each of you.

Thanks for the help!

ccy
Quote Reply
Re: Tshirt quilts [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What will you use to clean your bike with?
Ditto, old event t-shirts make a great source of shop rags for the garage - well except for oil changes for the car.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ross Quilts back east (US) makes them. However, Bill Bell's daughter made a simple blanket for him by making 12 inch squares and sewing them together. She used fleece as a backing. Much simpler if your wife can sew straight lines.

A friend made one for me. I use it as wall hanging.
Quote Reply
Re: Tshirt quilts [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor baby. ;-)

For you, my friend.........I might be able to swing a bit of a deal.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a friend of mine has a couple from this lady, and they are very nice:

http://www.goosetracks.com/TShirtQuiltOrderForm.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister did a t-shirt quilt for me and I love it!

Having accumulated yet another pile of t-shirts I'm looking for creative suggestions for how to put them to good use...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a superstition that keeping and wearing race T-Shirts is bad luck, so the quilt thing has never worked for me.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply