Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar S625x v. Ironman Timex Bodylink
Quote | Reply
I'm just getting into the HR monitor products and I am not too knowledgeable as to what the better ones for triathlon training are. I got both for Christmas. Which one is better for Tri training?

I received the Polar S625x HR monitor with the speed sensor and bike mount along with the USB cable to download all the info onto the computer.

I also received the Ironman Timex bodylink HR monitor 5E671. In this package, the Ironman Triathlon Bodylink Performance Monitor, the Digital Heart Rate Sensor and the Speed + Distance Sensor are all included.

If it helps, I already have a computer mounted on my bike telling me speed, distance, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar S625x v. Ironman Timex Bodylink [nel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had both. Both have their strengths/weaknesses. IF you can maintain a GPS signal (big IF), I like the Timex system better (plus the watch is better) - otherwise, I'd go with the Polar and the footpod system. If you have to take one back, take back the Timex system as most can't get the GPS system to work well. If you are just using for HR data and don't plan on uploading much to the computer, then I like the Timex watch better.

Quote | Reply
I ould never get the distance to be accurate on the polar. I calibrated over and over, and then as soon as I hit a looped course on the road, I would get wildly different distances for each loop.

In my experience the garmin works pretty well. I had it before the polar, and stopped using it because I thought the polar was going to be awesome. But now more and more i realize that the best way is to just go to several of your favorite running courses and measure them on your bike.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW - I use the 625x. I was able to calibrate mine an it works very well. I use the speed sensor and download all of the data to my computer to view in the Polar sw. The sw takes a little time to get used to but once you do it is very robust in tracking all of your workouts. The Polar chest strap is the best on the market and very, very comfortable. Zero interference from other monitors during group rides or races. I have used the watch during tri's but its tricky switching between sbr but can be done. If you are going to keep one I would keep the Polar and use it w/ your bike as well. It can be a valuable training tool especially if you are only going to use a HRM and not a SRM like device.

- Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Polar S625x v. Ironman Timex Bodylink [mjshapiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the Polar and it seems fairly accurate. I ran a half marathon with it and we all know it's supppose to be 13.1 miles but the watch think I ran 13.4 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't comment on the Polar, but I've had the Timex system for about 2 years. Other than in tunnels, it works great. I have found the GPS to be very accurate, and the HRM is reliable as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar S625x v. Ironman Timex Bodylink [ballred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the S625X and it is absolutely fantastic! If you spend some time on a running track calibrating the footpod, you should be spot on (at least I am). I found that if I run 2000m, the quality of the calibration was by far superior to just running 1200 or 1600m. Probably something to do with my step over a longer distance (not that 2000m is that far...)

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply