Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by ironjohnb
Re: Swim Allocation Challange Roth [ironjohnb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The women all start together in 2 groups (I believe at 6:50 and 6:55?) of about 250ish each, regardless of what finish time they indicated. I'm not sure why they do this for the women (maybe because there are so few of them in the race). When I did the race in 2016 I started at 6:55 and some of the men in the waves behind us did catch up and swim over/past us. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The 5 minute time gap between waves keeps things pretty spread out. You won't have to swim past 2000 people. It won't be as bad as you're thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Allocation Challange Roth [glowstickgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! Thank you, going to be awesome đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironjohnb wrote:
No doubt it's one epic, awesome and well organized race to the say the least!

What I don't understand is how they decide your swim allocation (start) based on your overall predicted finish time. Should I have fibbed and said 10 hrs instead of 11 hours due to a lack of my terrible run on route (Injuries after injuries). I feel as if I could possibly get close to 1 hr and or 1:02/04 for this swim but now I have 2000 swimmers a head of me. In fact my gf starts 20 minutes ahead of me with her predicted finish time is 13 hours. I should swim 20 minutes faster than her as well. (I guess we can say a quick hello, haha).

Is this really no big deal? I'm frustrated thinking it may be more work getting through it all. Anyone experience this? Thanks!!!

Relax. Orientation is very simple, so even if you should get into some traffic, it will be easy to find a good line to swim. And it is typically very much spread over the whole distance. Also helps to avoid super large packs on the bike. Eeeeesy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironjohnb wrote:
No doubt it's one epic, awesome and well organized race to the say the least!

What I don't understand is how they decide your swim allocation (start) based on your overall predicted finish time. Should I have fibbed and said 10 hrs instead of 11 hours due to a lack of my terrible run on route (Injuries after injuries). I feel as if I could possibly get close to 1 hr and or 1:02/04 for this swim but now I have 2000 swimmers a head of me. In fact my gf starts 20 minutes ahead of me with her predicted finish time is 13 hours. I should swim 20 minutes faster than her as well. (I guess we can say a quick hello, haha).

Is this really no big deal? I'm frustrated thinking it may be more work getting through it all. Anyone experience this? Thanks!!!

As I understand it they have one (or is it two?) "fast" wave (predicted sub 9 I think), and then everyone else is, to use the swimming term, cyclically seeded. This means that each wave has a spread of ability, the intended aim being to reduce drafting on the bike, which it manages surprisingly well.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Allocation Challange Roth [alir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did it in 2016 I predicted sub-10, which placed me in the second wave (after Frodeno and the super fast guys going sub-9). I'm a crap swimmer so it wasn't that convenient, but I guess that's how they arrange it all. In the end it's not a swim or bike or run race, but a triathlon, so it does make sense. If you see someone with a similar number you know you started at the same time.
Quote Reply