Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Syncro Shift thoughts. MEH!! [T-Wurt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just chiming in as I have the Syncro setup on my TT and I'd say Im pretty happy with it.

The one thing that i haven't seen anyone mention yet - but in the ETube settings there are a few options that may help you solve this issue: There is a "shift speed" setting that I think its set to "NORMAL" as default. Upgrade this to "FAST". and second is the ability to hold the button down to shift up or down unlimited gears - enable this.

In the example given, I personally don't even have get out of my aero position and all I do is hold down my single button shifter the moment i start feeling the big ring is too much and it shifts down all the way to the small ring in a flash. This also works the other way around when i get to the top of the hill and want to get on the big ring ASAP, it just smashes through to the other side.

One more thing - you have the flexibility of setting your gear ratios too. So if you feel that in this "flash shift" you end up in too small of a gear once you hit the small ring, you can change it so the change is to your liking (bigger or smaller ratio).

I've never tried ETap before, but i did a ton of research and based on durability, battery life, shift smoothness, etc I ended up picking Shimano Di2 instead.

Hope this helps

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Syncro Shift thoughts. MEH!! [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:
And what choice are you left with when you can't source these parts anymore?
Shimano's direction is that TT bikes are synchro. If you really wanted non-synchro on a TT, you could add some SW-R9150 buttons and program them to control the FD.
Quote Reply
Re: Syncro Shift thoughts. MEH!! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Shimano's direction is that TT bikes are synchro. If you really wanted non-synchro on a TT, you could add some SW-R9150 buttons and program them to control the FD.

With mechanical shifting on TT bikes, no one could shift from the base bar, just the extensions. Electronic shifting solved this by allowing shifting from the extensions and base bar. Now Shimano is taking part of that functionality away from the riders, either let the system shift the front ring, reconfigure your shifters to be able to shift the rear from the extensions and the front from the base bar, or add additional buttons to your bars for the ones Shimano took away. Not that familiar with Di2 cabling, but would these additional buttons plug into existing shifters or require an additional junction box.

It's a good thing SRAM eTap and Campy EPS exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
One of the "problems" with electronic shifting is that you have no clue where you are on the cluster.

I can display the gearing from my eTap system on my Wahoo Elemnt. Can't say the same for the Campy EPS v2 I have, but even when I'm not displaying the gearing on my computer, it's pretty easy to tell where I'm at in the cassette, either with the multi tooth jumps in the cassette on one end or that system stops shifting at either end.
Quote Reply
Re: Syncro Shift thoughts. MEH!! [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:
Not that familiar with Di2 cabling, but would these additional buttons plug into existing shifters or require an additional junction box.
Those buttons plug into a junction box (they are not like the old sprinter buttons that only plugged into a brifter). And, every button in Di2 is individually programmable. So, you could easily add an extra button to each base bar for FD, and then program one for FD up and one for FD down.

As an aside, I am actually thinking about adding one of these buttons to my extension and programming it to cycle through Garmin screens.
geauxTT wrote:
I can display the gearing from my eTap system on my Wahoo Elemnt.
Yes, both eTap and Di2 do this through the standard "Gear" Ant+ profile. I have a screen for it on my Garmin, but I rarely have that screen up on either bike. I find that on my road bike with eTap, I often end up on my 52-25 combination and try to click for one more gear, not remembering or knowing that I was already out in back. With mechanical, I could tell on my last shift that I had reached the end, so that rarely happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Yes, both eTap and Di2 do this through the standard "Gear" Ant+ profile. I have a screen for it on my Garmin, but I rarely have that screen up on either bike. I find that on my road bike with eTap, I often end up on my 52-25 combination and try to click for one more gear, not remembering or knowing that I was already out in back. With mechanical, I could tell on my last shift that I had reached the end, so that rarely happened.

I added the "gear combo" field to my main display. I find it very useful and can stay out of the top end of the cassette in the big ring when it isn't warranted by race pace/topography. Since I've been using that data field, my chains actually last longer, presumably from less cross chaining.
Quote Reply
Re: Syncro Shift thoughts. MEH!! [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
I also hate syncro shift. The thing I hate most is when I have a short hill that I'd rather power through in the big ring, but inadvertently shift to the small ring.

Syncro shift is garbage, unless you're running 1x, then it's awesome.

Yep. Syncro is just a bridge until we get to 1x14 or wherever the industry determines is the appropriate shark-jumping number of cogs in a cassette.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Syncro Shift thoughts. MEH!! [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This IS slowtwitch lol...who cares if its not an issue on road bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Syncro Shift thoughts. MEH!! [T-Wurt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRAM E Tap for the win. Super intuitive and works great!
Quote Reply

Prev Next