Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [CMattos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman in Brazil started back in 1982 in different cities, but in 2001 the race moved to Florianopolis where it's hosted every year since. //

I know this is an old thread, but are you sure it was 82? I raced there several times from 82 to 86 or so, and dont remember there being an ironman event there yet. Certainly there was an indie ironman distance race there some time in the mid to late 80's, that morphed into an ironman race. Believe it was race directed by Dan Madruga too, the olympic swimmer turned triathlete, who won our national championships one year as I recall..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [Musahi47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot that I made this thread. Updated through post 75. Some people mentioned races in above posts but I did not include them on the list as there wasn't enough information for me to find dates or locations of the race.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected.
I was checking with some older fellows and - indeed - the first qualifying races for Kona in Brazil started as half distances in the 90’s (94 or 95) and were organized by Djan Madruga, not sure if under the Ironman brand though. I was trying to find some online references here but couldn’t find any.
The first Full Ironman in Brazil seems to have been in 2000 in Porto Seguro, then moving to Florianópolis.
I started doing triathlons in 2006 so my references are not as good as yours ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [CMattos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first Full Ironman in Brazil seems to have been in 2000 in Porto Seguro, then moving to Florianópolis. //

I'm pretty sure there was an ironman there in 90, for sure 1991. Someone needs to get ahold of Djan, he would know the history to the month. And I just saw he won the world masters championships in the 60+ division in the 400IM...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [Musahi47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Musahi47 wrote:
Sunnape held an Ironman in 1991
Australia (Forster) 1983.

Forster was first held on 20th April 1985.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have missed seeing it, but before IM Canada there was the Canadian Ultra in Penticton. I am sure it was there in ‘85, but may have been there a year or two before that.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the interest of completion (though I know it's been a while since it was started), there's three total in Ireland.
IM Ireland (Youghal, Co. Cork) - on the list already
Hardman (Killarney, Co. Kerry)
Challenge Galway (Galway City, Co. Galway)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [klozzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the list should needs to be updated that IM Norway (Haugesund) is gone. Held in 2018 and 2019 then, sadly - POOF!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:
Longest Day Triathlon - Walsall - UK. 1994-2006.

Where did you dig that one out from? I'm from that area, but left in 1996 - hadn't heard of it until now.

Fantastic event organised by Black Country Triathletes, I did it a few times. Mark Allen was brought over one year by TriUk to hand out prizes and medals. Swim in Gailey Reservoir, Cycle out to Newport, Shropshire ( 2 lap ) then a multi lap run along the disused railway line to finish in Aldersley stadium.

The first UK full distance event was back in 1984 :

https://www.planetx.co.uk/...-triathlon-in-the-uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This past June was the last run of IM Boulder 😢

Luckily we still have the 70.3

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman distance races and the years they were held [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
A few without the Ironman branding in Australia:
  • MMM Triathlon, Sydney, NSW, 1984-1985 and 1992
  • Cairns Colonial Ultra 1985- 1986
  • Strongman, Torquay, Vic 1994 -1996
  • Westlakes(?), Adelaide, SA, circa 1992
  • Rydges International Resort Ultra Distance Triathlon, Yeppoon, Qld, 1999
  • Tri 226, Ballarat, Vic 2003
  • Sufferfest Triathlon, Kangaroo Island, SA, 2016-present.

The winner of the Strongman Tri in 1995 and 1996 was awarded a trip to race Japan Strongman Triathlon which by then was already a well-established event. The race which is still held in Miyakojima, Okinawa, although the 2018 distances were 3km/157km/42km.

Also in Japan, the Goto Nagasaki International Triathlon was held last weekend, though I'm not sure when ironman distance returned to Goto Island following the M-dot departure.

The small town of Collie in WA had one back in the early 90's run by their local tri club..
Here is the race video for the MMM Triathlon 1985. I did that one in 1992 and it was bloody hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag2wHxOULG8

and Forster 1985 the year Allen and Tinley pulled out in the swim
https://www.youtube.com/...q0MGZcS20&t=488s
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 1, 19 21:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next