Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks! Was traffic on the out/back climb pretty sparse? I'm guessing they have traffic control at both ends of that and most drivers would simply be avoiding that road?

Excited for the bike route. I'm in Dallas, so not any sustained climbing here. But I've always wanted to ride a bike in that area and so I'm going to do it! :) My parents are both from right there in Littleton, so I've spent a lot of time in that area (and skied Cannon extensively), just not familiar with Lost River Rd. My parents are up there right now and called me in a panic about traffic control. Had to ask about it in an effort to not hear them repeating their warnings for the next year!
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
Great, thanks! Was traffic on the out/back climb pretty sparse? I'm guessing they have traffic control at both ends of that and most drivers would simply be avoiding that road?

Correct, not a ton of traffic on the out and back. Yes, the turnaround point is traffic controlled.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, traffic is light out on 112 (and 116), and although you will see vehicles, there is a good shoulder and most traffic yield to cyclists (good cycling area in general, both on road and off).

Not sure why they would be in a panic? I'm sure there's more traffic this time of year but still, can't see there being an excessive amount.

The only place it gets a little tight is riding through 302 in Bethlehem - it gets pretty busy. Talked with the guys from Millenium post-race and they are toying with the idea of changing the route so it doesn't go through Bethlehem, but there is nothing definite, more jist bouncing around ideas. Part of it is to try to have all three distances utilize one hill for the KOM event.

Hope to see you there next year!
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I thought 'downtown' Bethlehem would be the busiest spot.

Yeah, my dad is convinced there are no shoulders on any of those roads, every corner is a blind corner, and cars will be driving 60mph. I wasn't worried about it. I've never pre-driven a course and have no plans to start now, but my parents are out there driving it and taking pictures! Haha!

I'll be there next year for the half. Hoping I don't freeze in Echo lake though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha! Yeah, Echo was a balmy 54 this year (official temp was 62? But a guy I know swam out a ways and dropped a thermometer... it was just damn cold!), and there's a reason the swim is 'wetsuit mandatory.' Better now at the end of June than when it was weekend after Memorial Day...

116 and 3-Mile Hill don't have much of a shoulder, but there also isn't a ton of traffic on either. Most everyone knows about the race and yield plenty of room; I wouldn't worry about it in the least. I would pre-drive 3-Mile Hill prior to the race, though, as that can get beat up over the winter.

Thinking about doing the half again next year, maybe I can have good swim training under me next time. But I'll be there one way or another - I'll buy ya a beer!
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, agree that the only section where the traffic is a bit heavy is through Bethlehem. And truth be told, several years ago there was an athlete pretty badly injured by a car coming out of a gas station or something. There is also not the biggest shoulder through some of that section as well, but for much of the rest of it, it's totally fine, and light traffic. And especially that KOM section had very few cars and a nice wide shoulder.

Yes, water can be freezing. But then a few years ago we had a weirdly warm spring and the water was in the low 70s so you really never know. Also 2 years ago they measured the swim WAY long and I got it at about 2700 yards.

Tough course for sure but a really good race.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emzee wrote:
Also 2 years ago they measured the swim WAY long and I got it at about 2700 yards.

Tough course for sure but a really good race.
It was long this year as well. The problem is they set thw buoys on Friday afternoon (makes sense) but often times Friday night a storm blows in out of the west/north-west and blows the buoys down the lake. At least, that's what seemed to happen this year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next