Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BBS Power field on Garmin Edge 1030
Quote | Reply
I'm could use a little technical help here. I'm trying to run a BestBikeSplit plan on my Garmin Edge 1030 head unit. I've created the race plan in BBS, exported it as a Garmin Power .FIT file, loaded that file into the Edge 1030 head unit in the 'newfiles' directory. Next, I've installed the "BBS Power" data field from Connect IQ and added that to my data screen (along with HR, 3s power, 10s power). However, when I launch the course and navigate it, the "BBS Power" field always shows "Cont. to Next" as if it's lost and doesn't know where I am. I know that this is not the case, because the map shows my location, and whenever I get to a new segment in the power plan I get a pop-up at the bottom of the screen with the new target power but that disappears after a couple of seconds. So, how do I get the target power for the segment to appear in the "BBS Power" field as it's supposed to?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: BBS Power field on Garmin Edge 1030 [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm that is unfortunate. I'll see if I can track down a 1030 to test. If you are seeing the pop up then the data should definitely be there, my worry is there may be some issue with the next point field not getting passed in via connectIQ. Have you tried the alternative datafiled (link) written by a fan? It's worth a short test as he uses a similar mechanism to our field. I have seen a few 1030 support tickets come through so I'm a bit worried that it will need a firmware fix from Garmin. Because you see Cont. To Next, the data-field thinks it has access to the points, but if it never updates with a number (even-though you are get the notifications with the points) I'm worried there is a deeper issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Last edited by: Mrcooper: Jun 19, 18 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: BBS Power field on Garmin Edge 1030 [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen this on my Edge 820 too. Last time was during my race during the race I did Sunday.
So I think that the error is related to all Edge.

I have the BBS power data field and also Dist. to next to be able to see how long I would held my watt.
The Dist. to next field is always available with numbers but not always the BBS power.
During a race (which is the only time I have used this) it is very uncommon that this occurs.
Like one or two times during a race and because of the often small "segments" this is not a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: BBS Power field on Garmin Edge 1030 [pdais97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem on my 520 plus this weekend as well

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Joel Rosinbum
President, USA Triathlon Board of Directors
twitter
instagram
Quote Reply
Re: BBS Power field on Garmin Edge 1030 [leftarmbandit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just tested with 520 and 820 this morning with out issue, but there are some setting changes that I'm going to put out on the FAQ for 520/820/1030. There seem to be issues with maps and turn guidance (as well as strava live segments i've been told though I have not verified). The power targets piggy back off the built in Garmin Navigation which if you have routing enabled may get over written. Are you having issues with the 520 or 520 plus?

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
I just tested with 520 and 820 this morning with out issue, but there are some setting changes that I'm going to put out on the FAQ for 520/820/1030. There seem to be issues with maps and turn guidance (as well as strava live segments i've been told though I have not verified). The power targets piggy back off the built in Garmin Navigation which if you have routing enabled may get over written. Are you having issues with the 520 or 520 plus?

Where is the FAQ for the 1030? In the FAQ section under "File downloads and Device settings" I see every Edge device listed, except the 1030, which has substantially different menu options from any other Edge (including the 520 and 820). I went through nearly every Edge FAQ a few weeks ago trying to find settings for the 1030 that would get the BBS Power field to work, with no luck so I'd love to see a 1030-specific setup guide, as I still haven't been able to get that field to work for me. I did use BBS on the 1030 at 70.3 CdA last weekend by just following the pop-up power target prompts, but that was less than ideal so I'd love to find a long-term solution.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using a 520 plus

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Joel Rosinbum
President, USA Triathlon Board of Directors
twitter
instagram
Quote Reply
Re: BBS Power field on Garmin Edge 1030 [leftarmbandit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I think I have the settings for the 1030 (which should also be similar for the 820 and 520 plus and the Fenix5 Plus series as well, basically anything Garmin that has maps). With courses it seems Garmin might override the routing (and thus some or all of the course points) so to fix this we need to change the way it does course routing (note you will need to change it back when you aren't using bbs or potentially save this setting for racing activity type). We are working on getting this in an FAQ but figured I would try to help here first.

The settings below have been tested on the 1030 and the Fenix5 Plus (unfortunately on the non plus versions of the Fenix there is no option to turn "Turn Guidance" off so prepare for lots of beeps 100 meters before a turn). We have also recently added the ability to reduce the number of Segments in advanced settings so the model is still run off the large number but the Intervals passed to the head unit will be reduced to the desired number with the associated weighted power targets.

- Navigation Routing Options (I would turn off Sharp Bend)

Go into Routing Options

Course Options (Some people like course warnings (100 meters before a course point) but I tend to turn them off).

Now the next issue we sometimes see is that on multi loop courses the system picks up the second loop (even though it's the first loop). 90% of the time I say to always ignore the navigate to start button but in the case of an multi loop course it can be beneficial to creat a course that starts a bit farther down the road from the transition and choose to navigate to start. This will help Garmin align the course to the correct starting points.

And finally when racing you should see something like this.

Example of the Reduced Intervals mentioned above.

Amazonian
Last edited by: Mrcooper: Jul 2, 18 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for that! I will definitely try it out.
Quote Reply
Re: BBS Power field on Garmin Edge 1030 [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having difficulty getting the BBS Target Power field to appear when I ride pre-loaded courses on my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I've ridden the course as both a "race" and as a "course" on my Bolt---I sometimes get pop-up directions for the segment, but the "Target Power" field always shows as "N/A."

Anyone have ideas? I have a half ironman at the end of the month that I was really hoping to use the Target Power field for.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: BBS Power field on Garmin Edge 1030 [triguy1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only the Race will have Power cues embedded, but one thing that may be happening is that once wahoo launched structured workouts they added a new Power Target data field that is different from the BBS Target. When you select your data field (using the search function) select the Target Power that does not have a w next to it. Or if you scroll through them all both BBS fields are under the TARGETS section. Sorry for the confusion but try this and see how it works.

Use this one:

Not this one:

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much! I’ll definitely look into this. Pretty sure I picked the wrong data field (with “w”).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When using the BBS connect IQ app in conjunction with the connect IQ data field on the Edge 820 is there a way for the power interval to trigger an auto lap on the Garmin Edge? as lap power seems a way better way for me to pace the interval especially with the new reduced interval feature.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I cant figure it out either. I only have target power with w next to it. i can se target speed fine while riding but target power shows n/a. i get cue sheet pop up too. I am using iphone app. any ideas? Thanks
Quote Reply