Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HAPPY CHANUKAH - XMAS (and All go Here)
Quote | Reply
Whether you started last evening or today:

Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu melech ha-olam, asher kid'shanu b'mitzvotav v'tzivanu l'hadlik neir chanukah.

Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu melech ha-olam, she-asah nisim la-avoteinu, bayamim haheim, baz'man hazeh.

Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu melech ha-olam, shehecheyanu, v'kiyemanu, vehigi-anu laz'man hazeh.

"Praised are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, Who sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to kindle the Hanukkah lights."

"Praised are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, Who performed wondrous deeds for our ancestors, in those days, at this season."

"Praised are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, Who has kept us in life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this season."

:)
Last edited by: astrotri: Dec 25, 05 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Chanukah [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're going to post blessings, don't forget the Hebrew!

For all nights:

For just the first night:

Like someone else already posted, it's good to see all of the Jews on Slowtwitch!

Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Chanukah [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fellow jew here as well. although with a wife who's a shiksa (sp?). we're celebrating all holidays. i know, my grandmother's rolling over in her grave.
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Chanukah [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now I'm doing Christmas with my Catholic wife's family. It actually works out well since we don't have to argue who goes where for Christmas. Plus I'm getting into the carols and having a fancy tree in the living room. Nothing like having my first Christmas when I was in my 20s. To give my heritage some love we'll light a few candles this evening and tomorrow I have a fun filled evening of latkes.

Adam
Quote Reply
Re: HAPPY CHANUKAH - XMAS (and All go Here) [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Chanukah th the ST Jew Crew!

Merry Christmas!

Happy Boxing Day! (for Aussies)

From another member of the ST Jew Crew!
Last edited by: IronDeb: Dec 25, 05 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost sunset.

I'm gonna use an electric Menorah - so the kitty-cats won't fry off their whiskers, (it's already happened before).

Happy Chanukah!
Quote Reply
Re: HAPPY CHANUKAH - XMAS (and All go Here) [IronDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buddy of mine who is a Doc told me today that two of his nurses want to take off (paid of course) all of Kwanza? What the hell is Kwanza and how in the hell do these holidays keep getting "invented"? He camly explaind to the pair of them that if they do not arrive at the office this coming week they can go the unemployment line the following week...

What is neat is that these two well educated women (they are both RN after all) put on an argument (I heard second hand) that Christmas is for whites, and that the black people have their own holiday finally - oh, and the implication is that you and me - cracker - are not invited. This whole thing is going to blow into a race war in the coming years...mark my words.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: HAPPY CHANUKAH - XMAS (and All go Here) [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kwaanza. I've never Googled it, but it's an African holiday, no? I mean, I don't remember it ALWAYS being around, just the last several years-ish.

Those 2 chicks had a bit of a narrow view of the world, huh? Scary that "educated" people can be so racist.

Shoot, I'll celebrate WHATEVER if it means I'd get a day off and a present & can toast to it with a glass of wine!!! Festivus? Sure! Kwaanza? Absolutely! Boxing Day? F***in A, mate!
Last edited by: IronDeb: Dec 25, 05 19:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot Festivus (circa Seinfeld)

Happy Holidays to all!

Festivus is a nondenominational holiday featured in an episode of Seinfeld, a popular American television sitcom of the 1990s. The holiday was a plot device in episode number 166 of the show, titled "The Strike", which first aired on December 18, 1997. Many people, influenced or inspired by Seinfeld, now celebrate the holiday, in varying degrees of seriousness. Some do it religiously, others do it in good tidings in their respect to Seinfeld.

According to Seinfeld, Festivus is celebrated each year on December 23, but many people celebrate it other times, often in early December. Its slogan is "A Festivus for the rest of us!" An aluminum pole is generally used in lieu of a Christmas tree or other holiday decoration. Those attending participate in the "Airing of Grievances" which is an opportunity for all to vent their hostilities toward each other, and after a Festivus dinner, The Feats of Strength are performed. Traditionally, Festivus is not over until the head of the household is wrestled to the floor and "pinned."

Last edited by: Dave G: Dec 26, 05 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: HAPPY CHANUKAH - XMAS (and All go Here) [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that is a reasonable request as long as they work all of Christmas holiday. No double dipping. That goes for atheists too-mandatory work day.