Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Early Morning Workouts [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Man ya'll are crazy (and this is coming from someone whose friends and family call them crazy). I feel like I am super dedicated to this sport but I would seriously re-evaluate if it meant going to bed at 8 and waking up at 3:30. I don't even finish working by 8 sometimes and dinner isn't till 9.

I'm up at 4, and at work for 5. I do 10 hour shifts so I work until 3 pm. I can do an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon and I'm ready for bed by 8.

For me, the key is to work out early and not put it off or it won't happen. Finding something that works around your schedule (home and work schedules, really) is key.
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Looks like I might be the earliest riser so far. I don’t set an alarm, ever (except race days), and am usually up around 3am +/- 30 mins. I like to have some oatmeal and coffee and read or watch YouTube for about an hour and then walk the dog. Then it’s off for a run before getting to the office between 7-7:30. I’m in bed at roughly 9 each night for a few mins of reading before I’m out.

4am? Fine. 3:59? THAT IS THE DEVIL'S HOUR.

Anything that starts with a 3 just hurts mentally. I've done it and I'm never happy about it.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [mdisciple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work at two different locations, one that requires me to be out of the house by 5:45 on T/Th/F. On these days I am up at 3:25. On T/Th it's for a bike workout. The key is having everything set up the night before. I'm on the bike by 4. It's just water on the bike. Off by 5:10, clean up my stuff, shave/shower and out the door by 5:45. No coffee or food until I get to work around 8. I have found that avoiding the coffee allows me to be able to grab a quick nap on my train commute. The Friday run is a little easier to manage in terms of set up and clean up. Fridays I sleep in til 3:45
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
I get up at 4:15, have enough coffee to force out a poop, some water, and start my workout by 4:45. No supplements.

"No supplements" reminds me of discussion at a rented condo before a stage of the Killington Stage Race back in the day.

Racer A is complaining how the coffee maker doesn't work, how he can't race without his morning coffee, how he has to have his coffee, on and on and on.

Finally Racer B says "I've got some caffeine pills - you can take one."

To which Racer A replies "I don't do drugs."

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to bed early, between 8-9. Never later. Up at 4am. Coffee, oatmeal, and if I remember (which is half the time) multivitamin. 30 min interval workout, get showered and dressed and off to work.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anything that starts with a 3 just hurts mentally.

3:24 this morning according to my Garmin sleep data. I hear you though. I'd love to sleep more but it just doesn't seem to happen for me. Same thing for my mom and sisters. Dad and brother on the other hand are world class sleepers.
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i wake up super early typically to get my cardio in. i use preworkout from "legion". peps me up in the morning, gives me a minor buzz without crazy stupid jitters, its all natural, and it aids in evacuating anything that would make me stop midway through a bike ride or run and go to the bathroom.

Referring to triathlon training as "getting in your cardio" and using a preworkout... So, how long have you lifted, bro?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
Go to sleep early, and if you need help/want to take a supplement, look into Melatonin

https://www.thorne.com/...s/dp/melaton-3-trade

Melatonin is the devil's work. I took some Saturday night so I could wake up early and knock on my long run Sunday. I slept 9 hours and had the worst run of my life. I stopped at mile 8 and debated taking a nap. I haven't taken it for years, but it makes me very depressed and groggy for the entire next day. I'll pass.

Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
"No supplements" reminds me of discussion at a rented condo before a stage of the Killington Stage Race back in the day.

Racer A is complaining how the coffee maker doesn't work, how he can't race without his morning coffee, how he has to have his coffee, on and on and on.

Finally Racer B says "I've got some caffeine pills - you can take one."

To which Racer A replies "I don't do drugs."

There's a thread for that

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...buse_Poll__P6638307/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:
Go to sleep early, and if you need help/want to take a supplement, look into Melatonin

Melatonin is the devil's work. I took some Saturday night so I could wake up early and knock on my long run Sunday. I slept 9 hours and had the worst run of my life. I stopped at mile 8 and debated taking a nap. I haven't taken it for years, but it makes me very depressed and groggy for the entire next day. I'll pass.

I used to take it once or twice a month (apart from helping with sleep when moving between timezones). Now I take it a couple times a year. And I think it's not as bad as you say IF you are careful with dosing. Try a lot less - just enough to help, but no more. This requires experimenting. For me half a milligram is plenty. Some pills are 3mg or even more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider when you are going to bed and how much rest you get before the workouts.

If you go to bed at the same time and cut out sleep, you won't recover as well.

Usually once I get going, about 10 minutes into a workout, the endorphins are enough to get me going. I'm awake so much so that my wife gives me "the look" afterwards when I'm wired running my mouth a million words a minute when we are getting ready for work and she just got up.

I aim to get 8 hours a night to recover and keep pace for early AM workouts.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chocolate covered coffee beans, usually a caffeinated gel, plus more gels as workout necessitates. Actual coffee and I have to poop, and not just once, so I'd rather not feel that need until afterwards. But afterwards, breakfast, coffee, and the newspaper (and a poop or two) like normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
I'm awake so much so that my wife gives me "the look" afterwards when I'm wired running my mouth a million words a minute when we are getting ready for work and she just got up.

Ha, I get this from my wife all the time. She'll hold up her hand and say, "Stop talking to me. I need 10 minutes to wake up."
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
cloy wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:

I used to take it once or twice a month (apart from helping with sleep when moving between timezones). Now I take it a couple times a year. And I think it's not as bad as you say IF you are careful with dosing. Try a lot less - just enough to help, but no more. This requires experimenting. For me half a milligram is plenty. Some pills are 3mg or even more.

I'm very sensitive to any sort of chemical and I took 3mg... I guess I wasn't thinking. haha. I'll cut it in half next time!

Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:

I'm awake so much so that my wife gives me "the look" afterwards when I'm wired running my mouth a million words a minute when we are getting ready for work and she just got up.

Ha, I get this from my wife all the time. She'll hold up her hand and say, "Stop talking to me. I need 10 minutes to wake up."

10 minutes? She must be a light sleeper

It sometimes takes a bucketful of coffee & creamer for D'Wife to just become mobile and communicative. She has has slept through an earthquake ... not once, but twice. She has also been known to sing, laugh, whistle, hum, and ever have arguments in her sleep. Still, she has warned me, in no uncertain terms: "I don't care what the fuck you do when you get up at 5 fucking whatever. Run, ride, knit, it doesn't matter. Just DON'T wake me the fuck up ... for ANY fucking reason!!!

As if I could

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Early Morning Workouts [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i wake up super early typically to get my cardio in. i use preworkout from "legion". peps me up in the morning, gives me a minor buzz without crazy stupid jitters, its all natural, and it aids in evacuating anything that would make me stop midway through a bike ride or run and go to the bathroom.

Referring to triathlon training as "getting in your cardio" and using a preworkout... So, how long have you lifted, bro?

Bench up 50 pounds, squats up 60! Deadlifts up 70! Everyone noticing I'm looking even more ripped while gaining mass! Bro - you HAVE TO TRY LEGION!

Last edited by: jt10000: Jun 18, 18 9:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next