Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crank length, no seriously! [Alan Couzens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alan Couzens wrote:
Slowman wrote:
somewhere in nature lurks the unifying theory of everything (in tri/tt bike position), where mechanical advantage, efficiency, aerodynamics and crank length live as values, and if you change 1 value you change the rest. if you change the crank length on your gravel bike you probably don't change the aerobar elevation. but on your tri bike, you do, if you want to normalize that bike for hip angle at TDC.

Thanks Dan,

Your response brings back a very fond memory of you, me and Mat hanging out in Gordo's basement engaged in deep, friendly argument over the role of mobility in bike fit. Very good times.

Unfortunately, in this case, I deeply regret to have to say that I agree 100% with what you've written above. Smile

With a couple of minor additions...

1. In triathlon, especially long course triathlon, for the vast majority of folks on the course, I would suggest that, with mean race durations of 12hrs and bike speeds of ~30km/h, efficiency greatly trumps aerodynamics when it comes to optimizing that 'balance of factors' that you're talking about. This is not reflected in fit marketing ('cause it's not as sexy as taking out more spacers :-)

2. The balance of important factors that you're talking about above are very rarely taken into consideration in a real world bike fit. IME, fitters are either over-fixated on aerodynamics to the exclusion of individual efficiency or, (less commonly) focused on coming up with a comfortable fit without assessing the aerodynamic cost. I have a hard time coming up with a name of a fitter who does both well. I know some sports medicine/physio guys who are very cluey on the comfort/movement efficiency side and some 'wind tunnel guys' who know the ins and outs of a truly aero fit but there are few who do a complete job of balancing the 2 IMO.

Frankly, it blows me away that in this day and age, most fits are being done without any actual data collection on either side of those equations, i.e. aerodynamic or physiological 'cost' of various positions.

As you suggested above, the answer to the 'right' crank length for an individual surely lies in collecting data from those metrics to come up with the optimal 'balance-point' for each individual.

Thanks, once again, for some great dialogue.

AC

thank you for the thoughtful response. yes, i agree, in practice, during a fit session, the drivers of the actions the fitters take are most often efficiency (not aero) specific (tho jim manton or brian stover may disagree). just, the metric that i use is RPE (rather than gas analyzers) because in practice, RPE always wins (when a fitter isn't present - which is all the time minus 2 hours per year). the rider, constantly feeling his seat is too high/low/forward/rearward will change it. hence RPE as the metric that matters most (besides, it's pretty reliable).

i only offer this gentle pushback - or maybe amplification is better - as regards what happens in a fit session. we have a lot of data on fit. no, we aren't going to measure VO2 during a fit and i don't think we should, because i don't think we'd get data more precise than we get from RPE. but we can draw conclusions based on the law of large numbers. when i wrote about orthodoxy, and i wrote about it again, this is what's often missing from fit sessions. but there are good fitters who do honor orthodoxy and its implications.

when we say that included knee angle at BDC should be 145° (or whatever) we're saying that this is the angle (plus or minus) that generates the best result. does it generate the lowest VO2? i don't know. i don't care. what's more important - and what drives a good fitter's behavior - is it generates the best result. why? because it's the knee angle most top riders use when they pedal.

in triathlon, we know this about hip position fore/aft, shoulder angle, knee angle, hip angle, handlebar elevation and so forth. are these positions the most aero? efficient? economical? don't know. don't much care. what's most important to know is that there is a pretty high correlation between top performers and their measured positions. my answer, then, to you, is that in the real world we neither test for pounds of drag nor oxygen consumed, but we are guided by proxies for both. it's like water quality testing. they don't test for leptospirosis in the lake where you'll compete in next week's triathlon. but they test for fecal coliform because there's a high degree of correlation. we test for the proxy.

finally, tho, there are ways to kinda sorta test for drag during a fit session and perhaps cyclenutnz will come in here with a fulsome explanation. but, to the point of crank length, i remember a fit session jordan rapp and i engaged in some years back, where he knew the saddle height (per a given crank length), the fore/after, cockpit distance, etc., and he knew the handlebar elevation. and he knew his hip angle. he knew all of that, because they were all proxies for either aerodynamics or efficiency. what he didn't know was crank length. this was the value for which we were solving: what would generate 97° of hip angle at BDC (using my landmarks) @ 165mm of handlebar elevation?

the answer we got (the crank length that our experiment yielded, which is of course possible only with a fit bike that delivers a reliable fixed resistance and allows all those values, including crank length, to easily/quickly adjust) leaves open the question of jordan's muscles' "desire" to work through a full range of motion, which was your point. how about some points for further study? (as our professor might say). such as: nothing close to a full range of motion of prime mover muscles happens in distance running. but i'll defer that discussion to your timing.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Crank length, no seriously! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

.... RPE as the metric that matters most (besides, it's pretty reliable).

i only offer this gentle pushback - or maybe amplification is better - as regards what happens in a fit session. we have a lot of data on fit. no, we aren't going to measure VO2 during a fit and i don't think we should, because i don't think we'd get data more precise than we get from RPE. but we can draw conclusions based on the law of large numbers....

See, I knew if we looked hard enough we could find a point of disagreement :-)

Unfortunately, I don't place the same faith in an athlete's RPE as a 'proxy' for metabolic output/O2 cost that you do, especially the RPE of a less than experienced athlete.

My experience would suggest that even when an athlete 'feels good' in a given position, there are pretty significant opportunities for reducing O2 cost/improving economy by making some 'tweaks' to enhance the biomechanical efficiency of that individual.

In fact, this specific question of optimal crank length presents a really good case in point. A few years back, I did some work with a local pro cycling team using metabolic data to 'dial in' bike fit. One of the things that we looked at was crank length, & similar to the posters on this thread, the general perception of these (experienced) cyclists was that they really couldn't tell the difference between a pretty large range of lengths trialed, or at the very least, didn't have a strong preference. However, despite this, the O2 cost from the trials varied quite a large amount (most were somewhere in that 5-10% range that I mentioned in that old post).

It would be nice (& cheap & convenient) if RPE was a reliable metric but I'm afraid that my experience in comparing it with actual metabolic output (with both novices and elites FTM) has led me to not place as much faith in RPE as a reliable & accurate 'proxy' of output/efficiency as you and some others might.

Best,

AC

Alan Couzens, M.Sc. (Sports Science)
Exercise Physiologist/Coach
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens
Web: https://alancouzens.com
Last edited by: Alan Couzens: Jun 17, 18 15:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to read McDaniel et al. 2002
J Appl Physiol (1985). 2002 Sep;93(3):823-8.
Determinants of metabolic cost during submaximal cycling.
McDaniel J1, Durstine JL, Hand GA, Martin JC.
Author information
Abstract
The metabolic cost of producing submaximal cycling power has been reported to vary with pedaling rate. Pedaling rate, however, governs two physiological phenomena known to influence metabolic cost and efficiency: muscle shortening velocity and the frequency of muscle activation and relaxation. The purpose of this investigation was to determine the relative influence of those two phenomena on metabolic cost during submaximal cycling. Nine trained male cyclists performed submaximal cycling at power outputs intended to elicit 30, 60, and 90% of their individual lactate threshold at four pedaling rates (40, 60, 80, 100 rpm) with three different crank lengths (145, 170, and 195 mm). The combination of four pedaling rates and three crank lengths produced 12 pedal speeds ranging from 0.61 to 2.04 m/s. Metabolic cost was determined by indirect calorimetery, and power output and pedaling rate were recorded. A stepwise multiple linear regression procedure selected mechanical power output, pedal speed, and pedal speed squared as the main determinants of metabolic cost (R(2) = 0.99 +/- 0.01). Neither pedaling rate nor crank length significantly contributed to the regression model. The cost of unloaded cycling and delta efficiency were 150 metabolic watts and 24.7%, respectively, when data from all crank lengths and pedal speeds were included in a regression. Those values increased with increasing pedal speed and ranged from a low of 73 +/- 7 metabolic watts and 22.1 +/- 0.3% (145-mm cranks, 40 rpm) to a high of 297 +/- 23 metabolic watts and 26.6 +/- 0.7% (195-mm cranks, 100 rpm). These results suggest that mechanical power output and pedal speed, a marker for muscle shortening velocity, are the main determinants of metabolic cost during submaximal cycling, whereas pedaling rate (i.e., activation-relaxation rate) does not significantly contribute to metabolic cost.

Alan Couzens wrote:
In my opinion/experience, a large part of the answer to that question comes down to the individual mobility of the cyclist.
Muscles operate most efficiently over their full range of motion and the energy cost of being on the wrong crank isn't insignificant (even when the cyclist can't really 'feel' the difference).

Based on the testing I've done on myself and others, the O2 cost can be 5-10% greater for the same power output when the cyclist is on the 'wrong' crank.

A few more thoughts here...

https://www.alancouzens.com/blog/crank_length.html
Quote Reply
Re: Crank length, no seriously! [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That paper lines up well with my own experiences testing different cyclists and illustrates my point well: ~25W (~10%) average difference between the different crank lengths but HUGE model residuals/differences among individual athletes/conditions so it becomes tough to come up with a universal model that predicts the one best crank length (hence the low R^2/ contribution to the overall model).

This confirms the importance of individual testing to determine the crank length eliciting the lowest metabolic cost for a given athlete.

Last edited by: Alan Couzens: Jun 17, 18 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, good, I'm glad you've seen it. Let me point out a few things you may have missed.
First, that regression is for the residuals of the power-only model where most of the variability you point out is related to pedal speed. We did over a 3x range in pedal speed so it has a fairly large effect.
Second those watts are on the metabolic side so figure about 1/4th of that for mechanical or about ~6w at the pedals.
Third, with the model that included power and pedal speed, crank length only accounted for 0.006 (6/10ths of one percent) of the residuals and the residuals only amounted to 2%. So crank length, in our study accounted for a nonsignificant 0.6% of 2% or a whopping 0.012% of the overall variability in metabolic cost of producing power.
Cheers,
Jim

Alan Couzens wrote:
That paper lines up well with my own experiences testing different cyclists and illustrates my point well: ~25W (~10%) average difference between the different crank lengths but HUGE model residuals/differences among individual athletes/conditions so it becomes tough to come up with a universal model that predicts the one best crank length (hence the low R^2/ contribution to the overall model).
This confirms the importance of individual testing to determine the crank length eliciting the lowest metabolic cost for a given athlete.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you look at rer?

I’ve looked at this individually and we weren’t pursuing lowest O2 cost but lowest Rer.

We looked at this both in relation to CL and steady state etc.

IE for IM athletes we were ultimately trying to find best power at .86-88...

Sometimes O2 go up and CO2 would come down.

Also universally at the end of a vo2 (ramp) max test I would allow up to two minutes out of the saddle as long as it was 60 rpm+. Blood lactate went down, co2 down, power up he up at the end (drift and higher formation patterns???)

Basically at the end of the day it wasn’t research grade but used to specifically direct individual performance for a specific event...mostly IM and we stopped doing ramp tests in favour of steady state at IM power, sometimes test->4hour ride->test.

Anyways, I’m about to get eaten alive by some of the more qualified posters.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I am well aware of those aspects.

Of course, if we compare the relationship between crank length and metabolic demand vs the relationship between power at the pedals & metabolic demand in the same model, the former is going to look pretty darn insignificant when compared to the latter.

Second, the model doesn't look to have any variables specific to the individual anthropometric characteristics of the athlete. If these alone were added, I'm confident it would make a significant step in explaining the huge residuals (e.g. if instead of absolute crank length, the included variable was % leg length). At the moment, you just have a big mass of residuals without the ability to drill any deeper for specific athlete patterns within those residuals. All that element of the data says currently is "If all I tell you about an athlete is the crank length that they are riding, I won't be able to predict their metabolic output." This sort of falls in the 'well duh' category IMO.

I'm also well aware that a key assumption of a valid linear regression model is independence of the variables. You may want to take a closer look at whether you met that criteria in your model.

Overall, the study, while interesting in its own right, isn't particularly relevant to answering the question of best crank length for the individual.

Last edited by: Alan Couzens: Jun 17, 18 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The power and pedal speed model accounted 98% of the variability of the whole group of subjects. When we fit that model with each subject's individual data, the average r2 was 99%. So for any individual, power output and the speed of the pedal accounted for 99% of the variation in metabolic cost. In other words, none of the subjects showed any crank length dependence on metabolic cost.
Maybe you're getting a pedal speed artifact. How do you control pedaling rate or pedal speed when testing different lengths?

Cheers,
Jim

PS I see you were at AIS. I've spent a fair bit of time in Canberra and Adelaide working with AIS and Cycling Australia. Did you know Dave Martin, Nick Brown, Chris Gore, Alan Hahn, Jamie Plowman, Shona Halson, Louise Burke etc?

Alan Couzens wrote:
Overall, the study, while interesting in its own right, isn't particularly relevant to answering the question of best crank length for the individual.
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Jun 17, 18 18:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that was my point. It's not valid to be quoting % explanation of the variance of a model when you're 'double dipping' on your variables - mechanical power has an angular velocity (pedal speed) component already in it, pedal speed already has a radius (crank length) component in it etc... Because the variables are highly related, there's likely to be a good amount of collinearity present and it's only really valid to assess their impact independently in this case.

Small world on the AIS connection! Many years ago now but some very fond memories! I was working primarily with the swim department - Jim Fowlie, Bill Nelson, Gennadi Touretski but I was fortunate enough to have some quality time with Dave Martin. Brilliant guy!

Last edited by: Alan Couzens: Jun 18, 18 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't mention how you control pedaling rate in your testing. Our data suggest that if you match pedal speed when trying different cranks (slightly higher pedaling rate with shorter cranks and slightly lower with longer cranks) you won't find any difference between cranks. If you don't match the speed, then you will likely find a difference. Same would be true if you tested one length at two different pedaling rates. So, how do you pick or control pedaling rate during your crank length selection testing?
As we lay out in the paper, each of those variables represents a different physiological factor. Thus what you see as reusing variables is is actually a valid physiological approach. Or at least we thought so, the reviewers at JAP thought so, and those who have cited the paper seem to think so.
I never interacted with swimming, just walked by the pool on the way to the lab. Yes, Dave is pure magic! Makes everyone around him much better than they would have been on their own. Currently working with 76ers.
Cheers,
Jim

Alan Couzens wrote:
Yes, that was my point. It's not valid to be quoting % explanation of the variance of a model when you're 'double dipping' on your variables - mechanical power has an angular velocity (pedal speed) component already in it, pedal speed already has a radius (crank length) component in it etc... Because the variables are highly dependent, it's only valid to look at them independently in this case.
Small world on the AIS connection! Many years ago now but some very fond memories! I was working primarily with the swim department - Jim Fowlie, Bill Nelson, Gennadi Touretski but I was fortunate enough to have some quality time with Dave Martin. Brilliant guy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
You didn't mention how you control pedaling rate in your testing. Our data suggest that if you match pedal speed when trying different cranks (slightly higher pedaling rate with shorter cranks and slightly lower with longer cranks) you won't find any difference between cranks. If you don't match the speed, then you will likely find a difference. Same would be true if you tested one length at two different pedaling rates. So, how do you pick or control pedaling rate during your crank length selection testing?

That's an easy one - I don't 😊

The practical qu I'm looking to answer is: What crank length results in the lowest metabolic cost for a given (race specific) power level for a given athlete?

Since an athlete can self select pedal speed in the field, I don't see a need to control this variable as I really don't mind if they choose to spin said cranks at 60 or 100 rpm so long as whatever combo they choose results in the lowest metabolic demand.

That said, I do see differences in RER independent of VO2 so the definition of 'lowest metabolic cost' might be a little broader than I implied.

Last edited by: Alan Couzens: Jun 18, 18 8:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next