Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Philadelphia Indoor Lap Swimming Pools?
Quote | Reply
We're moving to Philadelphia at the end of the summer and looking for recommendations for decent indoor lap swimming pools in and around the city.

We're living Queen Village / Society Hill area and looking for something nearby but also willing to run, bike or drive a bit to find the right pool.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia Indoor Lap Swimming Pools? [returntoglory23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really not that familiar with center city since I live in Bucks County and use a local LA Fitness facility for my lap swimming. According to the website, their location in nearby Bala Cynwood has a pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www,swimmersguide.com
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia Indoor Lap Swimming Pools? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
www,swimmersguide.com

quoted for awesomeness. I was just about to post it.. the only resource you need to answer that question. I travel a ton for work and this has never let me down.
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia Indoor Lap Swimming Pools? [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong but I don't think there's a lot of good places to swim down there. I live just outside city limits so not the best resource. You need Kiley or someone else from down there to chime in.

I would have suggested looking at La Salle U or Villanova (one of my favorite pools in the area).

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends. If you are moving to society hill / queens village you can probably swing a pricier option than what I use.

For reference, I live in Fishtown and work at 1600 market street so we are basically neghbors. I use the two YMCA's in philly. Christian Street YMCA and Columbia North YMCA. We take the kids to the Haverford YMCA in the burbs...30 min drive at most...they even have a triathlon swimming program there every week.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Jun 15, 18 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
returntoglory23 wrote:
We're moving to Philadelphia at the end of the summer and looking for recommendations for decent indoor lap swimming pools in and around the city.

We're living Queen Village / Society Hill area and looking for something nearby but also willing to run, bike or drive a bit to find the right pool.

Thank you!

I realize you said indoor, but in the summer months, John B Kelly pool in Fairmount is an easy bike ride and a great 50m outdoor pool. Riddled with triathletes in the summer. For indoor, I used to swim at the Sweat pool, but they closed. Not sure if anything ever replaced it (14th & Arch). In the latter months I swam at the YMCA up on Temple's campus. Convenient to Temple track also (across the street) and an easy subway ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia Indoor Lap Swimming Pools? [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That and you can always find a lane to swim in at both the Christian Street and Columbia North (Temple) YMCA's. CS YMCA is 25 yards and CN YMCA is 25 meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of my teammates have been members at the Kroc center (https://pa.salvationarmy.org/kroc-center-pa/). I tried to swim there once and it was members only and you have to be sponsored to get in. There must be another way...

ETA: I was trying to use the pool on a day pass b/c mine is closed for a week every year for facility cleaning. The link above appears to make seeking membership straightforward.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Jun 15, 18 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't thank you all enough for this helpful information. Really appreciate it! See you out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve not swum with them because their schedule couldn’t fit worse with mine, but I’ve heard the fins masters group is awesome and location isn’t bad for you: http://philadelphiafins.org

They describe themselves as an LGBT team, but open and inclusive. I’ve heard it’s a pretty big and vibrant group with inspirationally fast swimmers in lane 1. Hoping when the kids are older I’ll be able to give it a try.
Quote Reply