Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flashlights
Quote | Reply
I use flashlights a lot. Attic, garage, working on the car, it's always something. Last week I stumbled across the fact that there's been some trickledown from electric vehicles that has significantly improved rechargeable flashlights. I've been tenaciously trying to make various things work well with rechargeable batteries for 20yrs and the compromises have always been irritating.

Up until recently the easy way to make something rechargeable was to put in NiMH batteries. The problem with that idea is that NiMH batts are 1.2V, not 1.5V. So the typical 3 cell flashlight or headlamp sucks with NiMH batts because it's not getting enough V. And the typical small flashlight and most headlamps use 3x AAA batts which don't have spit for amp-hours so if you use NiMH for those, you've got nuthin.....low voltage and low amp-hours.

But now it's all better.

Electric cars are apparently using not big batts, but lots of smaller ones. A common one is called an 18650. It's about halfway between a AA and a C cell in size. 3.7V and the good ones are 3400mAh (3.4 amp-hours), which is darn respectable at that voltage.

And the best part is.....they're rechargeable.

With a pretty serious little power source, all the sudden helaciously bright rechargeable headlamps and flashlights are totally do-able.

"Protected" vs. "Unprotected". Lithium batts can be a little exciteable. "Protected" means that the batt has a little circuit built in that puts limits on charge/discharge in order to keep the battery from, I dunno, blowing up I suppose. It's hard to separate the lawyer-speak and marketing-speak, from reality. Near as I can figure, if you've got a quality charger and your application doesn't push the batteries too hard, then "unprotected" is ok.

If, on the other hand, your application pushes the batt hard like (apparently) "Vaping" or maybe you're not comfortable with a potentially explosive power source in your favorite sex toy, then maybe paying the extra cost for a "protected" battery is for you.

I bought 4x Panasonic "unprotected" batts, a charger that got good reviews, 4x little flashlights, and a headlamp. Panasonic batts are perceived, apparently, to be top notch in a niche that is full of BS marketing claims, the charger is supposed to be good with unprotected batts, and 4 flashlights allows me to put one in the garage, one in the trailer, and 2 for the kids to lose.

The headlamp came with a "protected" battery. It recharges via micro USB. That indicates to me that maybe it's integrated charger sucks so maybe I won't swap it's batt out for the others I bought.

Last night I played with the headlamp. It has 5 levels of brightness. It's top brightness level (supposed to be 1000lumens but who really knows?) was abso-fucking-lutely incredibly bright. And this coming out of a little lens the size of your pinky nail. I probably won't use the brightest setting much tho. It's burns thru power fast and maybe that's not the best idea with unprotected batts.

So if your tired of flashlights and headlamps that suck, this is the shit. If you're tired of the kids losing your flashlights, or leaving them under the couch ON FOR CHRISSAKES, I got nothing for you.

https://www.amazon.com/...ords=nitecore+new+i4

https://www.amazon.com/...p;crid=3T9X3TURG1JIN

https://www.amazon.com/...01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/...ywords=nitecore+hc60

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Flashlights [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

Electric cars are apparently using not big batts, but lots of smaller ones.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that interesting and informative post. I'm looking forward to long term review.

Do you need to discharge the batteries before recharging?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Flashlights [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Li-Ion batteries do not take kindly to deep discharge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new silicon and latex blends are really amazing and feel very natural. I believe that they are rolling out another round of celebrity molds soon. Clean up is still a PITA....

Oh...wait...you said FLASHLIGHT....never mind....disregard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I understand, only Tesla makes it battery packs out of thousands of 18650 cells.

http://www.bbc.com/...40204-a-false-charge

This is part of the reason why I question the claim that Tesla's batteries are so advanced. They just packaged up a ton of off the shelf batteries. There isn't cutting edge chemistry or other technology in them. It's reported that the packaging of the supporting electronics is above average for the automotive industry. But that's it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
18650 batteries didn't come from the automotive industry - they are pretty much the standard battery in laptop battery packs, and have been for some time.

They are popular because the Li-ion technology really hits its stride in this package (18mm diameter, 65mm long) in terms of energy density. If you buy a Li-ion AA size battery (a 14500), it only has a slight edge over a NiMH rechargeable in terms of capacity.

But when you move to the 18650 from the 14500 you get about 4 times more capacity while doubling the weight. And if you build a Li-ion battery much larger than the 18650 (like the 26650), you start having issues with heat dissipation under high load.

So the 18650 is in a sweet spot, and that's why they are so popular for applications ranging from single cell flashlights to Tesla battery packs with 6800 cells.

As far as flashlights - if you really want to geek out check out candlepowerforums or budgetlightforums.

Or you could just buy a Zebralight or two and be done with it. (I've got a H600w and a H52w).
Quote Reply