Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Long rides or total volume for IM? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say that I started saving a shitton of time once I obtained a Vasa bench and figured out how to maximize Zwift. If you are time crunched, this is the way to go.

1. I figure that I save at least 3-4 hrs a week by only swimming in a pool 1x. In terms of results - I have gotten WAY faster for shorter swims (as in 23 min olympic, 35 mins HIM) but my IM times have not budged yet.
2. Zwift saves me a good 1.5 hrs by riding indoors all but the Sunday long day.

Just 2 my 2 cents.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is not an alternative to you but think it over.

I also used to do the long ride in the weekend. I got up at 5 such that from noon on I was there for the family. Not ideal.

Nowdays I do the long ride on Tuesday. I sometimes take e.g. 2 flexi hours from work and I start the ride from work directly. In summer I change at home on my tt to do the rest. In winter I stay on my commute bike also in the dark. When it rains I finish the session on the trainer. The session is over at around 8 pm such that the family hardly notices. By the way I do my long run Mondays as a commute from work.

So I have all of the long work done on Tuesday, the rest of the week being reserved for intensive sessions and the weekend is relaxed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Iā€™m training for IMLP and now that I have two young kids, getting in a real long weekly long ride is damn hard. My wife and I had one kid for my last two IMā€™s, but two kids seems like a lot more than twice the work. As a result Iā€™ve only been able to get in one 100+ mile ride, and that was done by taking a Wednesday off from work.

For the past three months Iā€™ve been able to get in a weekly long ride of up to around 80 miles by starting to bike well before 4 am. Iā€™ve also gotten in 4-6 miles off the bike for these rides. My ā€˜get up stupid earlyā€™ approach gave me a bit over 1000 bike miles in May, which is more monthly miles than I was fitting in doing a weekly long ride of 4-5 hours when I did my last IM in 2015. I imagine Iā€™ll be around 1000 again in June.

I guess my question is this - can overall volume and a few long rides (Iā€™m hoping for two more in the 4.5-5hr range, so 100-110 miles) make up for not doing several long rides? For the 3-3.5 hour rides Iā€™m generally averaging around 80% power, including intervals and sometimes doing Zwift races. For the last few weeks Iā€™ve done around two hours on Zwift with a race in the middle, and than 90 min outside at around 75% or so, followed by a run. I also did Quassy last Sunday and had the top bike split using my road bike (broken shifter week of the race on tri bike), but I know IM is a different beast than HIM.

What exactly are your concerned about? 1.000 miles/month is a sh** load of training. That is 12~13 hours per week on the bike only. Assuming that you also swim and run from time to time, you probably end up with around 20 hours/week, right? What more do you need?

Regarding family life: Similar here, two kids, training almost only in morning hours. Glad to do 10~12 hours per week. Just a hand full rides with more than four hours before July. Was enough to be happy with my Challenge Roth result last year. Will have to be enough to finish strong at IM Frankfurt in four weeks...
Quote Reply
Re: Long rides or total volume for IM? [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
natethomas wrote:
Iā€™m training for IMLP and now that I have two young kids, getting in a real long weekly long ride is damn hard. My wife and I had one kid for my last two IMā€™s, but two kids seems like a lot more than twice the work. As a result Iā€™ve only been able to get in one 100+ mile ride, and that was done by taking a Wednesday off from work.

For the past three months Iā€™ve been able to get in a weekly long ride of up to around 80 miles by starting to bike well before 4 am. Iā€™ve also gotten in 4-6 miles off the bike for these rides. My ā€˜get up stupid earlyā€™ approach gave me a bit over 1000 bike miles in May, which is more monthly miles than I was fitting in doing a weekly long ride of 4-5 hours when I did my last IM in 2015. I imagine Iā€™ll be around 1000 again in June.

I guess my question is this - can overall volume and a few long rides (Iā€™m hoping for two more in the 4.5-5hr range, so 100-110 miles) make up for not doing several long rides? For the 3-3.5 hour rides Iā€™m generally averaging around 80% power, including intervals and sometimes doing Zwift races. For the last few weeks Iā€™ve done around two hours on Zwift with a race in the middle, and than 90 min outside at around 75% or so, followed by a run. I also did Quassy last Sunday and had the top bike split using my road bike (broken shifter week of the race on tri bike), but I know IM is a different beast than HIM.

What exactly are your concerned about? 1.000 miles/month is a sh** load of training. That is 12~13 hours per week on the bike only. Assuming that you also swim and run from time to time, you probably end up with around 20 hours/week, right? What more do you need?

Regarding family life: Similar here, two kids, training almost only in morning hours. Glad to do 10~12 hours per week. Just a hand full rides with more than four hours before July. Was enough to be happy with my Challenge Roth result last year. Will have to be enough to finish strong at IM Frankfurt in four weeks...

I think that is the key. "Enough to be happy with". What is that point where we will be happy with our performance in relation to the time we are putting in. This may sound silly, but I am attempting to train myself to detach from the result. I am pretty new to the sport only really picking it up late last summer. Since then I have completed 5 triathlons (one of them was a 70.3). In my first four triathlons I was able to podium for my age group (30-34). Granted, these were smaller triathlons with 200-700 athletes in total. I had a big wake up call in that 70.3...26th place in my age group. I was super stoked for a few days and am going through the ups and downs of a chance lost to perform better. But I need to detach from that result and, for the most part, I have.

Anyway, its about finding that "enough to be happy with" regardless of what that means to you. To me, its being there to teach my children how to swim, bike (my oldest just nailed down riding a bike without assistance a few days ago), run, etc. Being around and supporting my wife in what she wants to do. Being happy with what I am doing in general. Work is largely just that...work. I like who I work with and what I do is fine. I know I have asked many of you to reveal your secrets of squeezing in your workouts...and I greatly appreciate the time you put into your responses. It helps create a mosaic view of how the average Joe Triathlon makes it work.

BTW, people are talking about that missing millennial generation. I think we have a good group of young mom's and dad's talking about a sport we all enjoy right here. I don't see a lack of interest from the millennials that i know.
Quote Reply
Re: Long rides or total volume for IM? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
...bike (my oldest just nailed down riding a bike without assistance a few days ago)...

Exactly! And congratulations! Btw: My older daughter (4 yrs) just said to me yesterday while riding her bike: "Dad, look, I can ride my bike almost as fast as you did in your race on Sunday". I hope, the "almost" will still be valid at IM Frankfurt. Otherwise it will be a very long day ;-)

But anyway, while the question about long rides certainly is somehow valid, one should be happy with the result if you put in as much as you want and can. Will more help? Typically yes. Will more help if you are already at ~20 hours/week? Probably not, unless you want to go pro...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donā€™t forget that youā€™re not a pro and are doing this for a hobby. Of course we all want to do the best we can but at the pointy end where you are, the ROI gets lower. For example, if you were to do 800 miles for the month instead of 1000+, I doubt your race time would be slower by more than 5-10 min but you would save a couple hours a week. You can train 1000+ miles if you like but just think about the opportunity cost that it comes with. Just a little perspective.

Now, I hate long slow rides so even if I have time, I usually donā€™t do them. What I like to do is 20min intervals at 80% with 5 min recoveries. 10 intervals is about 4 hour ride with a 250TSS, roughly the same TSS as an IM bike ride. Thatā€™s probably a good option for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Long rides or total volume for IM? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He may not be a pro...but hes pretty close

Sorry for the USAT stalking...

RaceDateFinish TimeScore
IRONMAN 70.3 World Championships Male[/url]9/10/201704:38:52.0099.769
Cranberry Trifest Olympic[/url]8/20/201702:02:03.4096.193
Nantucket Triathlon[/url]7/15/201701:05:13.4092.444
Cohasset Triathlon[/url]6/25/201700:59:38.2095.283
IRONMAN 70.3 Eagleman[/url]6/10/201704:30:50.0098.403
Pumpkinman triathlon festival 2016 Half[/url]9/11/201602:43:42.3097.56
Nantucket Triathlon[/url]7/16/201601:09:47.2093.63
2016 Patriot Half Triathlon[/url]6/18/201604:21:31.0097.781
IRONMAN 70.3 Florida[/url]4/10/201604:26:03.0097.783
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

RaceDateFinish TimeScore

I am fully aware who he is but my point stands. It doesnā€™t pay any of his bills. He alone can decide if that 5-10 min is worth the time investment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

RaceDateFinish TimeScore

Definitely not anything near pro, but humbled.

I guess what I'm hoping to accomplish by getting in a lot of bike miles is coming off the bike at IMLP feeling pretty fresh and ready to have a good run. In my last two IM's I've gone from a good spot for a KQ to not so great on the run. I could write a lot about what happened (details are in my blog), but I feel I've under-performed in my two previous IM's and want to nail this one.

I also really enjoy biking, and the majority is on the trainer and pretty quick to do - compared to getting to the pool, change, swim, change, then get home. Maybe I'm in the minority in that I enjoy the training and wouldn't mind doing even more - if there were 26 hours in the day I'd be all for it to fit more training in.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I averaged 133 miles per week and 420 TSS per week on the bike from Jan-1 through Apr-28 (IMTX) and had a great performance (0.75 IF, 248 TSS bike and ran well off of it). I'm about the same speed as you. 1,000 miles per month is almost double that! (most of these were Zwift miles but I think they're pretty close in my case)

What is your intensity like on these rides? I had the luxury of a few long/hard rides because I don't have kids (one which was 6 hrs and 360 TSS) but I also did a few trainer rides that hit 250 TSS in 4 hours with some 30 min-60 min intervals at HIM pace or above, which SHOULD be sufficient for a strong IM performance if you're time limited.

Is a coach in the equation? The greatest benefit for me getting a coach was his ability to help me manage my time better without me worrying about sacrificing fitness/race readiness.

Just my 2c.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

Definitely not anything near pro, but humbled.

I guess what I'm hoping to accomplish by getting in a lot of bike miles is coming off the bike at IMLP feeling pretty fresh and ready to have a good run. In my last two IM's I've gone from a good spot for a KQ to not so great on the run. I could write a lot about what happened (details are in my blog), but I feel I've under-performed in my two previous IM's and want to nail this one.

I also really enjoy biking, and the majority is on the trainer and pretty quick to do - compared to getting to the pool, change, swim, change, then get home. Maybe I'm in the minority in that I enjoy the training and wouldn't mind doing even more - if there were 26 hours in the day I'd be all for it to fit more training in.

Nate (you're probably sick of me chiming in, but I can't help it...)

There is some data on 'critical volume'. Although I think there is a line of diminishing returns, being able to handle to wear and tear of the IM distance is important. You are a veteran on intermediate distance races and have years of volume in you, but still Kropelnick believes that you should do: 9/3 x the distance (of the race) for the S; 8/3 x the distance for the B and 7/3 x the distance for the run. Those are peak weeks. It proves durability more than anything else. And very few of us mortals can get that kind of volume in so compromises need to me made.

http://kropelnicki.com/critical-volume-again/

Your B and R volume, like most non-pro IM triathletes are a tad light, but not much. Pretty hard to hold 300 miles/week on the bike and 60 miles/week on the run for several weeks. I'm a little worried for you regarding the run volume you've held and how it may affect you late in the IM race.

You can get in higher quality with less time (a la EN) with improved efficiency by adding in some intensity. Same TSS doing a 4 hr bike with long periods of HIM pace than a Z2 6 hr ride. Time on your feet for the run is important for those who don't have cumulative miles in their feet, IMO. It's pretty hard to maintain 40/50+ miles/week running when putting in all the other training-oh and trying to keep the family unit together.

I always laugh and still use their 'SAU' theme. My spousal approval units are spent in the few months closer to race day when you need to up the volume-especially that last training block prior to taper.

There are lots of different thoughts on training methods and strategies and a coach might well be the best thing for you. The nutrition/BR thing needs to be figured out and timing the taper and deciding how to best peak and which workouts you like and respond best to. The IM run is all about not slowing down and holding that best pace right until the end. Racing with power helps to avoid 'overbiking' but doesn't suggest why your run has not been optimal.

You are only 6 weeks away from IMLP so I'm not sure much change can be made at this point.

What will you peak at for bike and run volume (for at least 2 weeks) this year?
Why do you think you did not perform well on the last few IM runs?

edited to add congrats on the nice progression in your USAT ranking from 88>97 over the past few years. Wow. Very solid improvement.
Last edited by: dtoce: Jun 12, 18 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: Long rides or total volume for IM? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
I averaged 133 miles per week and 420 TSS per week on the bike from Jan-1 through Apr-28 (IMTX) and had a great performance (0.75 IF, 248 TSS bike and ran well off of it). I'm about the same speed as you. 1,000 miles per month is almost double that! (most of these were Zwift miles but I think they're pretty close in my case)

What is your intensity like on these rides? I had the luxury of a few long/hard rides because I don't have kids (one which was 6 hrs and 360 TSS) but I also did a few trainer rides that hit 250 TSS in 4 hours with some 30 min-60 min intervals at HIM pace or above, which SHOULD be sufficient for a strong IM performance if you're time limited.

Is a coach in the equation? The greatest benefit for me getting a coach was his ability to help me manage my time better without me worrying about sacrificing fitness/race readiness.

Just my 2c.

Two of my 4-5 rides a week I'd classify as 'quality.'

Wednesday morning I ride 1:45-2:00 on Zwift, doing a race in the middle. I won the B race last week and had a w/kg of 4.33 for the ~50 min race. AP for these rides ends up being around 85% at the end.

Saturday I've recently been splitting the long ride (3-4 hours) into two hours on Zwift and the rest outside. Similar to Wednesday I've been doing a race in the middle. AP for these rides ends up close to 80%. I've found that in an IM I'll need to be around 70-72% to have a good run, so I'm doing these rides a bit harder on purpose.

I had a coach (two different ones) over a three year period, and feel like I have a pretty good handle of what to do and how to manage myself. The funny thing I got injured two of those three years, and haven't been injured in the two plus I've been racing without a coach. I feel like I can listen to my body now and train based on how I feel. I sometimes felt like I had to stick to 'the plan,' even though I was in touch with the coaches and sometimes modifying things.

I am using some of the workouts in Matt Dixon's Fast Track Athlete on a weekly basis as a rough guide when they can fit in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you have 2-3 rides per week that are not 'quality'? This could be low hanging fruit for reclaiming some of your lost time. Your quality sessions seem pretty similar to mine (although mine were more prescriptive, and I haven't tried a Zwift race yet). At peak volume I had 2 quality sessions (long ride + tempo), plus maybe 1 or 2 short recovery rides. What is the objective of your non-quality sessions? Do you think you are obtaining more benefit from them than you would from recovery/sleep or spending more quality time with the family?

These are honest questions by the way (not inferring anything), I'm not a coach and don't presume to know what's best for you. Just my 2c from experience and working with my coach and listening to others.

Along the same line, I think any endurance ride above 250 TSS is going to prepare you pretty well given your endurance background. You could do this all inside if you want but it sounds like you like riding outdoors too much for that.

natethomas wrote:

Two of my 4-5 rides a week I'd classify as 'quality.'

Wednesday morning I ride 1:45-2:00 on Zwift, doing a race in the middle. I won the B race last week and had a w/kg of 4.33 for the ~50 min race. AP for these rides ends up being around 85% at the end.

Saturday I've recently been splitting the long ride (3-4 hours) into two hours on Zwift and the rest outside. Similar to Wednesday I've been doing a race in the middle. AP for these rides ends up close to 80%. I've found that in an IM I'll need to be around 70-72% to have a good run, so I'm doing these rides a bit harder on purpose.

I had a coach (two different ones) over a three year period, and feel like I have a pretty good handle of what to do and how to manage myself. The funny thing I got injured two of those three years, and haven't been injured in the two plus I've been racing without a coach. I feel like I can listen to my body now and train based on how I feel. I sometimes felt like I had to stick to 'the plan,' even though I was in touch with the coaches and sometimes modifying things.

I am using some of the workouts in Matt Dixon's Fast Track Athlete on a weekly basis as a rough guide when they can fit in.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiousity, what's your work and home life/shedule look like with this? Married, kids, 40+ hr week job, etc?

natethomas wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
Are you guys doing bricks every single day? I could probably squeeze in two 30-45 min swims at lunch time during the week.

Like, are you doing a morning bike/run?

Im just trying to understand what a detailed week looks like for you guys (the theee who responded). Also, are you counting recovery (foam rolling), meditation, and strength (yoga, weights) training in these hours?

Here's my basic week, to give you an idea:

Mon: morning trainer ez spin 90-100 min, afternoon swim of 60 min
Tues: morning treadmill run of 60 min - all ez, possible evening trainer ride depending on bedtime of kids
Wed: morning trainer ride of 110-120 min w/15-20' brick run, afternoon swim of 60 min
Thurs: morning treadmill intervals - 60-70 min
Fri: morning treadmill run of 60 min, possible afternoon OWS
Sat: morning 3-4 hr ride w/4-6 miles off the bike
Sun: morning trainer ride of 60-80 min w/long run off the bike - up to 140 min run for IM

There have been a couple weeks where I took Wednesday off from work and got in 5-6 hours of total training time to help add miles for a bigger week. Lately, I've been doing a Zwift race as a part of the Wednesday and Saturday rides. I do some cord/band work due to ITBS issues a few times a week, but no strength or other workouts.

I'm done M, W & F by 6 am, by 6:30 on Tu & Th, and try to be done around 8 am on the weekend.

šŸ’€ Fxck Cancer Endurance Team šŸ’€
āš”ļøāš”ļø PLUSH Global āš”ļøāš”ļø

Quote Reply
Re: Long rides or total volume for IM? [Vicious15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vicious15 wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what's your work and home life/shedule look like with this? Married, kids, 40+ hr week job, etc?

natethomas wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
Are you guys doing bricks every single day? I could probably squeeze in two 30-45 min swims at lunch time during the week.

Like, are you doing a morning bike/run?

Im just trying to understand what a detailed week looks like for you guys (the theee who responded). Also, are you counting recovery (foam rolling), meditation, and strength (yoga, weights) training in these hours?

Here's my basic week, to give you an idea:

Mon: morning trainer ez spin 90-100 min, afternoon swim of 60 min
Tues: morning treadmill run of 60 min - all ez, possible evening trainer ride depending on bedtime of kids
Wed: morning trainer ride of 110-120 min w/15-20' brick run, afternoon swim of 60 min
Thurs: morning treadmill intervals - 60-70 min
Fri: morning treadmill run of 60 min, possible afternoon OWS
Sat: morning 3-4 hr ride w/4-6 miles off the bike
Sun: morning trainer ride of 60-80 min w/long run off the bike - up to 140 min run for IM

There have been a couple weeks where I took Wednesday off from work and got in 5-6 hours of total training time to help add miles for a bigger week. Lately, I've been doing a Zwift race as a part of the Wednesday and Saturday rides. I do some cord/band work due to ITBS issues a few times a week, but no strength or other workouts.

I'm done M, W & F by 6 am, by 6:30 on Tu & Th, and try to be done around 8 am on the weekend.

Married with two kids - 5 years old and 20 months. I'm a teacher, as is my wife, so we are out the door with the kids pretty early. Workouts need to be done by 6-6:30 am weekdays, and on three of those mornings my wife is getting in a run on the treadmill. I'm at school for around eight hours a day, but there is grading and other school work to be done at home once the kids are asleep.

I used to think eight hours of sleep wasn't much, but that was before kids. With one kid it went down to seven hours, now I hope to get 6+ hours of sleep a night. I still seem to function fine and my race results are still pretty decent, but I know it's not ideal. However there are probably a lot of people who choose to watch TV for several hours a day and get the same amount of sleep as me - I feel I'm in a much better position and probably much happier than them!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I aim for 3-5x at 100-115 miles per ride at the "big" volume weeks. Typically averaging in the 21-22.5 mph range steady for the duration depending on the course--which is rolling mostly, race nutrition, ful aero position. However, I don't do a long run the same week as a long ride. Long runs are usually only every other week or every 3rd week. In between weeks will have varying focus goals such as maybe run frequency & pace, or swim volume or pace week. Non-long ride weeks will have shorter maintenance rides or some climbing involved to switch it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Long rides or total volume for IM? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I aim for 3-5x at 100-115 miles per ride at the "big" volume weeks. Typically averaging in the 21-22.5 mph range steady for the duration depending on the course--which is rolling mostly, race nutrition, ful aero position. However, I don't do a long run the same week as a long ride. Long runs are usually only every other week or every 3rd week. In between weeks will have varying focus goals such as maybe run frequency & pace, or swim volume or pace week. Non-long ride weeks will have shorter maintenance rides or some climbing involved to switch it up.

Thatā€™s similar to what I am doing this year! I alternate bike focus week with run focus week. In the bike focus week, Iā€™ll do 10+ hrs biking with a long ride while running is about 30mpw. The following week bike volume drops to about 7-8 hrs but run volume goes up to 40-50 mpw with a long run. Swim stays constant. So far I like it. Results to be determined but I feel good about it and most importantly havenā€™t been injured in 18 months now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be careful about getting enough sleep. I know you function now but this can come back to haunt you later in life or even now out of no where.
Quote Reply
Re: Long rides or total volume for IM? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
You are gonna be fine. Do some of the 'shorter' rides fasted, at ironman pace, and you will be as prepared as before. Nothing magic about riding for 5-6h, but for the an ambitious athlete doing their first IM it's a pretty good idea since you learn how it feels, can hone you position, practice eating and drinking to schedule and whatnot. If you've already done a couple IM's you dont need this, you need fitness. And volume gets you there.

That's exactly what 've done last year and it works...

On this september i'll race in IM Italy and it ll be my 4th IM. At the moment my longest ride was 135km (not miles ) but that ride and all my rides longer than 3 hours have been perfomed at about 80% FTP. I live in a really flat country here in italy so when i need to climb i use zwift and i train indoor even for quality sessions.

So my goal is to do a lot of 4hours rides quite over IM pace (80% ftp or more) and only 2 or 3 rides of about 160km at about 75% FTP (i think that if u can train indoor for 4 or 5 hours your mind will be strong enough for the IM bike leg).

I train a lot in Z3 and once per week i do FTP intervals to maintain some speed in the legs).

With my family 9/10 bike hours per week (and 50/55km run) in the month before tapering, is the max i can do
Last edited by: Fab4mas: Jun 18, 18 7:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next