Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AWA Bike Stickers
Quote | Reply
So I just got these silly AWA bike stickers and luggage tag in the mail. The letter said to "proudly display them" on my bike, but the Ironman rules state that you can't race with any stickers other than the original manufacturers stickers. I'm confused on what I'm supposed to do with these things?

Side rant - when did luggage tags become a coveted prize? They talk about this AWA luggage tag like it's the holy grail, but they also over pimp the free luggage tag you get with each race. I have enough of these super special M-dot luggage tags for about 30 suitcases by now. Am I supposed to be stoked about a luggage tag?
Quote Reply
Re: AWA Bike Stickers [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rules are meant to outlaw race stickers with bib numbers from previous races (not stickers in general)...... Like those folks who keep their kona bike sticker on their bike for 3 years until they qualify again.

My 2 cents.... don't rock an AWA sticker on your bike. Don't be that guy.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: AWA Bike Stickers [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

My 2 cents.... don't rock an AWA sticker on your bike. Don't be that guy.

Oh hell no, I would never do that. I'm way too slow to do anything that stupid!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Side rant - when did luggage tags become a coveted prize? They talk about this AWA luggage tag like it's the holy grail, but they also over pimp the free luggage tag you get with each race. I have enough of these super special M-dot luggage tags for about 30 suitcases by now. Am I supposed to be stoked about a luggage tag?

-----

"Excuse me mate (triathlete dressed in full IM gear with recovery socks on to boot), is that your or my bag...wait, I see the AWA tag on it....cheers mate".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike sticker went straight to the trash. I have always thrown the metal AWA tags right away but this year's seems nicer. I haven't decided what to do with it. But Ironman isn't marketing to you and me, they are trying to hook the first time crowd and those who only race sporadically.

Meanwhile, here on Slowtwitch the same people that worry about the future of the sport have no problem bashing the very people the make it up. You can find numerous examples of people on social media for whom AWA is a huge personal achievement and for whom these trinkets are a big deal. I applaud them and move on. If you don't like the TV show then change the channel. Side rant over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was the first year of AWA and the luggage tags were metal. Shit will last forever... until you lose it like I did.

I couldn't care less that it had any IM branding on it. I just liked the free durable luggage tag.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The luggage tags are getting more and more ridiculous each year. I can't imagine using them at all.

As for the sticker, I must admit that after years of not even thinking about it, I have put this year's sticker on my bike to cover a nasty scratch, that was bugging me, and in the heat of the moment it was the only sticker available large enough to cover it. My bike time has not become better or worse after that, and absolutely nothing in the universe has changed. So I forgot about it, and remembered only when I saw this thread. From this I can only conclude - it does not matter. If anyone wants to put their AWA sticker, let them be, they are not worse off. Just like not putting up the sticker does not make you a better athlete or a person.
Quote Reply
Re: AWA Bike Stickers [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, first year were metal. I quite liked mine, but never used it for the intended reason (but it made a nice book mark instead of one of the Rapha500 postcards).

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: AWA Bike Stickers [kgro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kgro wrote:
The luggage tags are getting more and more ridiculous each year. I can't imagine using them at all.

As for the sticker, I must admit that after years of not even thinking about it, I have put this year's sticker on my bike to cover a nasty scratch, that was bugging me, and in the heat of the moment it was the only sticker available large enough to cover it. My bike time has not become better or worse after that, and absolutely nothing in the universe has changed. So I forgot about it, and remembered only when I saw this thread. From this I can only conclude - it does not matter. If anyone wants to put their AWA sticker, let them be, they are not worse off. Just like not putting up the sticker does not make you a better athlete or a person.

Holysmokesbatman!

Your sticker usage is exactly the same as what I did - covers a deep nasty the airlines thought would enhance the appearance of my ride. Come to think of it, that sticker is likely the only thing holding my bike together.

I don't recall seeing a luggage tag, but, it could be laying around in a drawer somewhere. Oh, I just found it along with a bunch of brand new "regular" IM luggage tags.

Perhaps I should sell my never used IM Lake Tahoe tag. Bidding starts at $1,000 (tri-geeks have money to burn, right?)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Last edited by: manofthewoods: Jun 10, 18 21:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least when Delta recognizes my frequent flier status by sending me luggage tags it sort of makes sense .... The connection between Ironman frequent flier status and luggage tags is lost on me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be that guy - I like the luggage tags; the big plastic ones everyone gets. Easy to write on, the ink stays put, they're pretty good (at least relative to some of the other swag). And if you periodically move you need new ones anyway :).

The metal AWA one from last year I didn't care for, but I didn't get AWA this year so haven't seen the current edition..
Quote Reply