Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Budget Watch W/ Tri Mode & Wrist HR
Quote | Reply
Looking at watches and unfortunately the Garmin 735XT is out of my price range.

Is there a POLAR, Suunto, FitBit, TomTom watch at a much more reasonable price point that has the true triathlon mode. (Like the Garmine 735, 935, Fenix etc)

For example does the Polar 400 or Suunto Spartan have tri mode?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Watch W/ Tri Mode & Wrist HR [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Fenix 3 refurbished.

1 year warranty and like new.

Martin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suunto Spartan Trainer. I’ve had mine a week and love it so far. It’s the lowest priced watch with a true triathlon mode.
Last edited by: Stva: Jun 8, 18 20:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
735 shouldn't be out of your range.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292569050188

$269 here and if you wait for the usual 10-20% off coupons you can get it less. I just paid $215 for mine. Asian version doesn't mean much of anything at this point as it's on the final firmware most likely.

I was in the same boat as you. The Suunto Spartan Trainer was the only other option (as the Fenix 3 HR was too bulky for me). The two biggest things I had against it were the smaller screen size compared to the Garmin (~1" vs 1.2") of which I've heard is hard to read and the biggest thing was the lack of the ability to create customized workouts through the Movescount App or website. I frequently use the workout feature to plan power intervals on the bike and already have created a half dozen pool swim workouts. It's a huge omission on Suunto's part as the old Ambit line used to have it.

That said, all of my Garmin watches (and bike computers) have just simply worked. They might not be the cheapest or offer the best technology every time, but they have never failed me.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Watch W/ Tri Mode & Wrist HR [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And just to ensure the readers have this clear:
Spartan family products have interval feature. Its in watch. This is limited to following interval set structure:
- Repetitions x interval (distance / duration) / recovery (distance/duration)
This set can be repeated as many times needed, but set needs to be restrated. During the session the screen shows realtime data during interval and then additionally interval totals in recovery. The watch createes the list of actual intervals/rests for after analysis and additionally it produces a totals in text description to be shown in movescount (10x30s avg 350watts-144avg hr (155max hr))

But no. It doesnt have a possibility to create more complex intervals such as pyramids.

—
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Watch W/ Tri Mode & Wrist HR [Stva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stva wrote:
Suunto Spartan Trainer. I’ve had mine a week and love it so far. It’s the lowest priced watch with a true triathlon mode.

What’s the battery life been like for the spartan trainer? Ive often been displeased with Garmin device battery life. I’ve switched to a lezyne super gps from Garmin Edge 520. Lost the Garmin so needed to buy something. Still have Garmin 920xt but when that dies considering a Suunto
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Watch W/ Tri Mode & Wrist HR [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Stva wrote:

What’s the battery life been like for the spartan trainer? Ive often been displeased with Garmin device battery life. I’ve switched to a lezyne super gps from Garmin Edge 520. Lost the Garmin so needed to buy something. Still have Garmin 920xt but when that dies considering a Suunto

I haven’t really pushed battery life yet but I think the 10 hours they advertise is accurate. If I go on 30 minute run, the watch will be at around 95% battery level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stva wrote:
mickison wrote:
Stva wrote:

I haven’t really pushed battery life yet but I think the 10 hours they advertise is accurate. If I go on 30 minute run, the watch will be at around 95% battery level.

My concern is for IM distance. Mainly because I like to know my overall time
Quote Reply
Re: Budget Watch W/ Tri Mode & Wrist HR [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Stva wrote:
mickison wrote:
Stva wrote:

IM distance at the best GPS accuracy is doubtful unless you are a pro. You can turn down the recording requency to get longer recording time, that would cover an IM but wouldn’t be as accurate.

The other option would be to carry the charger and a battery pack on your bike and charge when you are riding, kind of like ultra runners do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stva wrote:
mickison wrote:
Stva wrote:
mickison wrote:
Stva wrote:

IM distance at the best GPS accuracy is doubtful unless you are a pro. You can turn down the recording requency to get longer recording time, that would cover an IM but wouldn’t be as accurate.

The other option would be to carry the charger and a battery pack on your bike and charge when you are riding, kind of like ultra runners do.

I had battery issues at my only IM. if I do another part of me wants to just wear, at simple timer watch the entire race and only turn on Garmin for run
Quote Reply