Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

krauthammer
Quote | Reply
a short and sweet goodbye. i did not often agree with him. but he has been honest, and a realist. and a gentleman.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: krauthammer [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. That's a shame. I'm sure you are not surprised to find I am a fan.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   Saw that, and it's definitely a loss to thoughtful conservatives. I had thought that maybe Fox may have been giving Krauthammer and George Will little airtime because they were pretty much never-Trumpers. My bad, and I know those two are also great friends, so I feel bad for Will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Realist? His myopia on the Iraq war, and indeed his entire full-neocon outlook on war diminished an otherwise brilliant mind.

But yeah, compared to the current crop of cable "news" bomb throwers, he was very decent. Perhaps even the post WFB of his time.

Pretty shitty 48 hours in the life wins dept.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: krauthammer [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sad to see him go. I thought he was an important, thoughtful voice. He wasn't always correct, but he was always gracious.

Post WFB?
Quote Reply
Re: krauthammer [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
William F Buckley

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: krauthammer [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Wow. That's a shame. I'm sure you are not surprised to find I am a fan.

i'm not an unfan. i feel he was too smart to avoid the science on climate change. he's an interventionist and a neocon and he and his ilk should have been thoroughly chastened by the results of the invasion of iraq in 03; i don't see than any of them were but if any of that crowd was thoughtful and introspective it was krauthammer.

i would be happier if he was in the max boot / david frum mold. but i can't deny his intellect and thoughtfulness.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether I agreed with him or not (and I seldom did), he was man of integrity. Cancer sucks. Prayers to him and his family.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Jun 8, 18 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: krauthammer [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Saw that, and it's definitely a loss to thoughtful conservatives. I had thought that maybe Fox may have been giving Krauthammer and George Will little airtime because they were pretty much never-Trumpers. My bad, and I know those two are also great friends, so I feel bad for Will.

george will may be the smartest mofo in political discourse. conservatives have had voices for the past couple of years, krauthammer, will, boot, frum, steve schmidt, and others, who don't need to gear their speech to attack a democratic or defend a republican administration. open field running, great to hear them, great advertisements for true conservatism.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two of my favorite memories from my too-many-to-count experiences at Nationals Park were meeting George Will and Charles Krauthammer. His intellect and integrity stood above and outside of his politics, always. He will be missed.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: krauthammer [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Two of my favorite memories from my too-many-to-count experiences at Nationals Park were meeting George Will and Charles Krauthammer. His intellect and integrity stood above and outside of his politics, always. He will be missed.
Kramer: "I'll tell ya who's an attractive man: George Will."
Elaine: "Well, he's smart."
Kramer: "No, I don't find him all that bright."

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
dave_w wrote:

george will may be the smartest mofo in political discourse. conservatives have had voices for the past couple of years, krauthammer, will, boot, frum, steve schmidt, and others, who don't need to gear their speech to attack a democratic or defend a republican administration. open field running, great to hear them, great advertisements for true conservatism.

Will and Krauthammer both failed miserably in their climate change denialist writing. But I guess that's an integral part of the conservative playbook.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: krauthammer [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Slowman wrote:
dave_w wrote:

Will and Krauthammer both failed miserably in their climate change denialist writing. But I guess that's an integral part of the conservative playbook.

this is the part that always slays me with smart guys: how they decide to pick and choose which science they accept. it's on both sides. bill maher is a anti-vaccer. go figure.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: krauthammer [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Krauttheimer is not my cup of tea
But then neither is Maher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
klehner wrote:
Slowman wrote:
dave_w wrote:

this is the part that always slays me with smart guys: how they decide to pick and choose which science they accept. it's on both sides. bill maher is a anti-vaccer. go figure.

The difference is that people like Will and Krauthammer are supposed to be the serious, thoughtful standard-bearers of conservatism, while Maher is a comedian.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: krauthammer [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
sphere wrote:

Kramer: "I'll tell ya who's an attractive man: George Will."
Elaine: "Well, he's smart."
Kramer: "No, I don't find him all that bright."

Elaine: "You've seen The Omen, right? What was that kid Damien?"
Kramer: "Oh nothing... just a mischievous, rambunctious kid."
Last edited by: SH: Jun 9, 18 11:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that hurts to read...I generally enjoyed reading his stuff, oftentimes agreed with him but more than anything he struck me as a decent and thoughtful person. Regardless, that's a heartbreaking way to go, being in remission and expecting many more good years then hearing that you're basically on deaths doorstep. I feel bad for his family and friends that are dealing with this news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough dude. I guess he has been in terrific pain for years. You'd never know it.

Re: krauthammer [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough dude. I guess he has been in terrific pain for years. You'd never know it.

I was on the fence with him, agreeing with him on a lot of things and not with others but he was always thoughtful and presented good arguments. He didn't rely on cheap slogans or rhetoric, something really missing these days.

For the most part though, I empathize with what he is going through. He had hope and now that's been dashed and then has the dignity to tell everyone in a straight forward manner, exactly the way he's always done things.

It must be difficult for him and his family.
Quote Reply