Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BarryP running plan for olympic distance
Quote | Reply
I'm ready to commit to the discipline necessary to finish stronger with my runs. I'm competing at the Olympic distance. I've read through most of the blog posts regarding 1:2:3 but I'm still unclear of the goal distances that I should set for the "3" part of the ratio and therefore the miles per week necessary. I'm at 20-25 miles per week and it's just not enough to get where I'd like to go.

The schedule below would work very well with work/family life:

Mon: swim, leg rest day
Tues: bike (TR), run short
Wed: swim, run medium
Thu: bike (TR), run short
Fri: swim, run medium
Sat: bike (TR), run short
Sun: run long, recovery spin

Can someone please clarify what a plan should look like?
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP running plan for olympic distance [mkleive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was training primarily for Olympic, I was at 40-45 miles per week. On that plan, run 4 miles off the bike Tue, Thur, and Sat. Run 8 miles Wed & Friday. Run 12 miles on Sunday.

Don't mean to be a dick, but if you're unclear on how to structure the mileage, I'd take another gander at Barry P's posts... at least the main ones that describe the plan and explain how to execute it and most importantly why it works. If you're just running volume blindly without any idea of the purpose, you're going to possibly get injured and/or discouraged. It takes consistency.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Jun 8, 18 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: BarryP running plan for olympic distance [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
When I was training primarily for Olympic, I was at 40-45 miles per week. On that plan, run 4 miles off the bike Tue, Thur, and Sat. Run 8 miles Wed & Friday. Run 12 miles on Sunday.

Don't mean to be a dick, but if you're unclear on how to structure the mileage, I'd take another gander at Barry P's posts... at least the main ones that describe the plan and explain how to execute it and most importantly why it works. If you're just running volume blindly without any idea of the purpose, you're going to possibly get injured and/or discouraged. It takes consistency.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand my question. I've read all of the posts and am clear on the structure of the training and why it's important and why it works. What I wasn't clear on is how others have structured the mileage for the Olympic distance. I was getting lost on the open distance versus triathlon distance conversion. Maybe I'm a slow learner.
Quote Reply