Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm going to ask Trump for a Presidential Pardon
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter that I have no conviction to pardon, apparently.

Trump considers pardoning Muhammed Ali.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I'm going to ask Trump for a Presidential Pardon [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given reports, there are several he is considering, but if Wiki is correct he has a way to go before reaching the Obama numbers.
-
Republican President Donald Trump has pardoned five people and commuted two sentences as of June 6, 2018:
-
Democratic President Barack Obama pardoned 212 people and commuted the sentences of a further 1,715 people.[31]

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/20/obama-used-more-clemency-power/
Quote Reply
Re: I'm going to ask Trump for a Presidential Pardon [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't the right comparison be Trump on 6/8/18 vs Obama on 6/8/10? That would be 5 vs 0.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-pardons

Any other comparison is interesting, but not really accurate given the timing of most Presidential pardons.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Jun 8, 18 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, the fact that Trump is considering pardoning someone whose conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court in 1971 doesn't even register with you?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, sorry I did not address your point, of course you're right. I just got caught up more in the "Trump is going around pardoning everyone!!!" hysteria. I've read he's looking at around 3000 or so actually, so there may be reason...and if he adds in lots of people who don't even need any kind of clemency it will be even bigger, Huge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Numbers aren't all that important to me. What's important is that the power isn't being abused. The vast majority of Obama's pardons were unknown people with massive sentences for relatively minor, non-violent drug crimes. And that was a cause that had (and has) bipartisan support outside of the "Sessions faction" of the GOP.

The only nakedly celebrity/conflict-of-interest pardons/commutations that Obama made were I think Chelsea Manning. And maybe Lopez Rivera, though that's hardly a household name.

So far Trump has signaled that if you're not a celebrity or don't have a celebrity (preferably at least a 7) taking up your cause, that he's not all that interested. Saucier is *close* to a non-celebrity, but because he's been a minor celebrity in the anti-Hillary crowd and Trump used his story in the 2016 campaign, he still counts for me.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 8, 18 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: I'm going to ask Trump for a Presidential Pardon [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    I agree that Trump seems to be making this as much about him as the persons he is considering, no surprise but untoward. Obama did seem more sober and sincere in his approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
I agree that Trump seems to be making this as much about him as the persons he is considering, no surprise but untoward. Obama did seem more sober and sincere in his approach.[/quote]

Pretty shocking statement coming from you. Did I read that right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he pardons someone without a conviction, is that like a get out of jail free card? Your next conviction is on the House?
Quote Reply