Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3--edit: plots! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you doing up here in our neck of the woods? Hope you enjoyed the PNW!

Noticed your former prodigy JT did well down at Alcatraz. Still working with him? Always nice to see a local kid making things happen.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Also Victoria is extremely technical for your average triathlete (but basically normal for a bike race) ....so maybe np gets spiked with crowds/soft pedaling etc?

Cheers,
Maurice

My number is actual NP, not sure what others have posted. You are absolutely right about the Vic course, it's a tough one and there are many places where holding speed isn't possible. Pretty fun ride, thought!

Can anyone compare the current course with the “old†(pre-WTC) course? Just looking for some context to understand these comments.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3--edit: plots! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'll play but with this caveat, I'm not sure you want to plot out my data.
I started losing pressure in my front tire about 20k in. Rode the last 20-22k on 5-10psi, much of it sitting up and the last 40k well below the power of the first 50k.

Time 2;36:32

entire ride = 200AP 221NP
first 34miles = 211AP 229NP
last 22 miles = 191AP 215NP
70.9kg

Aww man, sorry, that's a bummer.

I'll add your datapoint when I get back in front of a computer.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: Jun 7, 18 0:47
Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3 [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha - not even close. This power/overbike resulted in a massive blowup on the run!
Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3--edit: plots! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike Split: 2:23:11
NP: 288W
Weight: 85kg

Canadian Professional Triathlete

Instagram
Last edited by: BenRudson: Jun 7, 18 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3--edit: plots! [BenRudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenRudson wrote:
Bike Split: 2:23:11
NP: 288W
Weight: 85kg

Added. The NP plot is in the first post in the thread. The w/kg plot is here

Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3--edit: plots! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto Andy. Go average power, not normalized.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time: 2:41.14
AP: 224
NP: 237
Weight: 78kg
Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3--edit: plots! [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Average power rather than norm power. No weight for Beals and no AP for Ben, so just these eight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can assure you Quantum wasn't there :)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: MarkyV: Jun 8, 18 13:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you redo the power/time chart to AP?

ap how fast you go - vs. - np how hard you go

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3--edit: plots! [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that's AP above in post #34.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you do just time/ap like in post 1?

while vic is rolly i'm not all that concerned with w/kg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Here, let's all post our NP and official time from Victoria half this weekend, and we can compare and see who was super slippery (aerodynamically speaking) and who needs help on this particular course.

If that is what you want, I think you need to plug everyone's numbers into BBS and back out a CdA. Plots of time vs power (or w/kg) don't tell you this.
Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3--edit: plots! [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
can you do just time/ap like in post 1?

while vic is rolly i'm not all that concerned with w/kg

Ask and ye shall receive. How cool would it be if I could get 500 data points here? If only people were interested in using data to understand performance.... :(

Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3--edit: plots! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
CCF wrote:
Here, let's all post our NP and official time from Victoria half this weekend, and we can compare and see who was super slippery (aerodynamically speaking) and who needs help on this particular course.

If that is what you want, I think you need to plug everyone's numbers into BBS and back out a CdA. Plots of time vs power (or w/kg) don't tell you this.

Yeah, I know it. I was attempting glibness (poorly apparently).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Victoria 2017:

Time - 2:31:20
Normalised Power - 257W
Avg Power - 241W
Weight - 77kg
Avg W/kg - 3.06 W/kg

VI - 1.07
Avg HR - 146 (Max = 170)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you get around to doing that i'd be curious in seeing that plot

Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3 [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fellas.... there's a story behind this....

Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paging Dr Colin.... i want some stories about this 👆ðŸ»

Quote Reply
Re: Okay let's have some data: Norm Power and official bike time from Victoria 70.3 [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well....the short story is that Lake Whatcom Tri is an excellent race and Brent is flat out a better runner than I.

The longer story is that we both had great races. There is one u-turn on the run course at about the two mile mark, so I knew that DFRU was right behind me. I spent the next four miles trying to hold him off as best I could. It's a hard run course, made even more difficult by a monster set of stairs at around the four mile mark (66 feet of elevation in 0.04 miles https://www.strava.com/...07205?filter=overall). After that there is a gradual uphill slog that makes you feel like you are going to die. Last year I ran up the stairs and paid dearly for it. So this time I walked them (two at a time). When I got to the top and could not yet see DFRU behind me (note that I didn't say 'could not yet see DFRU at the bottom', that's because you can't actually see the bottom from the top) I thought I had it. I started concentrating on just keeping it together, but after that climb everything hurts. At 5.5 miles I really thought I had it. In retrospect I should have been picking it up then, but in the moment that wasn't really an option. We crossed the street and had to run across a bumpy field. I was running hard but at that point the uneven ground was tough on me. I knew he was closing but I still thought I had enough real estate. Across the field, hit the pavement through the parking low and around the bathrooms (transition is in a nice park, 99% of the run is on grass or gravel) and I realized he was RIGHT FUCKING THERE. Damn it, I had to sprint. Final straight is on bumpy grass again. I was running with everything I had, but honestly I could swear I was going to take a header. I felt like my legs were flailing like a cartoon character. Everyone was shouting and I think he passed me with 0.001 meters left to run. We both collapsed.

After the finish:
Me: 'I really thought I was going to fall over during that sprint."
DFRU: 'I really thought you were, too.'

Ouch.

All in all a great way to end my 2018 season. Time to tune the knobby bikes and get ready for cross season!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dats fun :)

end of season??? You are weird. I'm pretty sure the season just _started_ in your neck of the woods. which i guess it also means it's almost over 😂 #pacnorthwetjokes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
After the finish:
Me: 'I really thought I was going to fall over during that sprint."
DFRU: 'I really thought you were, too.'

Ouch.

That response made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the story :-)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply

Prev Next