Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Keep road and tri bike, or get super bike? [Lanceuppercutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My road bike is a 2009 Specialized Allez and it is still running 9 speed. I want a new road bike (Canyon Aeroad in Red, please) but I definitely don't need one. I can pedal it as hard as a like, so it is as good as anything out there for training on. If I was road racing I might reconsider, but even then I'd probably still use the Allez for crits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lanceuppercutt wrote:
I don't want to have the tri bike sit and collect dust, while I only use the road bike, and further depreciate in value before using it again or selling it. On the otherhand, maybe having it sit in the basement and collect dust is the best way for me to guilt myself into racing more. Maybe its worth it to sell the tri bike, get a good frame and build a super bike, or even upgrade the trainer set up in the basement. Either way, thanks everyone for the replies.

why would it be gathering dust? I thought you were still going to be doing sprints and olympic distance events?

Are you likely to want to race again? then keep the tri-bike.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar situation - I sold my TT bike because I didn't like seeing it languish on the Kickr and lose value. I put the money towards a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 which is, quite frankly, the most fun I've ever had on a bike of any kind. I can absolutely thrash myself on it in 90 minutes, without worrying about getting run over (which in NZ is constantly a real concern). I kept my road bike, although I haven't been on it since January due to swimrun training. The other thing I've got at home which has been an equally good (or better) investment is my Concept2.

My vote is to sell the TT bike and stick with the sweet roadie you've got already...maybe treat yourself to some nice new kit, or a few upgrades.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Keep road and tri bike, or get super bike? [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with flipping bikes is you rarely get that much for them. Worse than cars. You might sell both and find you're really not as close to your Aeroad as you hoped. I just sold a $3K custom build steel road bike that I don't have space for nor ride anymore, for a mere $250, less than the cost of a new Record cassette for my road bike, but on the flipside it needed $100s worth of repair work after being neglected. Depressing.

I'd say keep the TT bike. Who knows when you'll want to ride tri's again. Or who knows, maybe you'll decide you want to do 40K TTs? Sell the road bike (you'll take a beating) and get whatever road bike you want. You'll ride more.
Quote Reply
Re: Keep road and tri bike, or get super bike? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have Fuji Altimara road bike and I drive it for 30 miles whenever I have a free time.
Quote Reply
Re: Keep road and tri bike, or get super bike? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Then take the money saved, and buy a bike you can ride gravel or places you can't take the road bike. The added opportunities can be super refreshing and still great workouts.

I thought about buying a TT bike even though I have an aero road bike. Instead got a cross bike and don't regret it. Amazing little swiss army knife kind of machine.

I would absolutely echo this, although I'd perhaps consider keeping the P2 and doing some jiggery pokery with the roadie since they're getting a bit more versatile these days.

My cross bike is the best damn $1800 I ever spent. It extends my time outside on the road in the shoulder seasons, I ride gravel and trails with my non-racing significant other in the summer, I get to do cross when the season rolls around.... It was something I totally thought was an unnecessary splurge (work bonus!) at the time that has really come to have tremendous value.

We have on order a new Trek Checkpoint for my SO, because we've found that "all-road" is the type of riding we most enjoy doing together. We're planning on picking up a second set of wheels and leaving those set up with road slicks and perhaps a smaller cassette so it will be easy for him to use it on the road too, since he really likes the geometry and the handling.
Quote Reply

Prev Next