Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Parvovirus in new puppy
Quote | Reply
So Friday I picked up my first puppy ever. She is a Malamute/Husky and just gorgeous. By Saturday night we had her in emergency for the parvovirus. She has been on IV ever since. She isn't doing too great as she refuses to eat. She hasn't had diarrhea for a while but is still throwing up a bit. The vets have been great and are trying everything in the arsenal to get her to shake this thing but it is such a nasty virus for a puppy to go through. Anyone have a puppy that was able to make it through? Aside from costing us almost $1000 / day in vet bills, I am just having a hard time seeing her come out of this.

https://www.facebook.com/...140&l=cef03e7c1c
Last edited by: M~: Jun 5, 18 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: Parvovirus in new puppy [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we just dealt with this earlier this year. My mom got a Great Dane puppy and we were day-sitting him when we noticed a sudden decline in his energy/appetite. My friend is a vet so we cared for the pup at home with the first couple days with my friend's oversight but his health got worse. Eventually the pup ended up at a 24hr clinic and had a feed tube put in through his nose. It's so hard to watch but we visited every night after work and tried to comfort him as best we could. It took about 7-8 days but things slowly returned to normal and now Boomer is back to be a happy but big puppy!

Since you got the puppy to the vet so quick after recognizing the symptoms, there's a high likelihood that everything will be just fine. As my friend told us, it's usually people who wait a few days to get their dog in for care that have the most difficulty. Fingers crossed for you and your pup! It's hard to watch but know dogs do recover from this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, that's rough. I'm sorry man. We've dodged that bullet. Puppies are so adorable that losing one would be heartbreaking. We've had a couple neighbors over the years with puppies that got Parvo. They all survived.

Our aussie cattle dog will occasionally eat a turd while we're out on a run. Idiot dog. It's unlikely I'll break her of the habit, she's a willful thing. Every time I see her do it I think "uh oh, Parvo". When she leaps up to lick to my face I mumble "turd licker" to no affect.

$1000/day sounds way high. I did some quick poking around and folks seem to be talking $800-$1000 total for the vet stay. How is it possible that one can have the vet remove a dog's female parts for $150, yet Parvo result in $1k/day?

A buddy in the next office...his wife is a vet. I can ask her for her thoughts on the price if you want.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Parvovirus in new puppy [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Phoenix and the $1k a day is the going rate here for a 24hr emergency clinic. Most of the vet offices do not offer 24hr care and if they do, it's only a tech that stays overnight. With the ER clinics, they have docs on staff through the night.
Quote Reply
Re: Parvovirus in new puppy [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We didn't deal with Parvo but our pup had a few overnight hospital stays in the first couple months due to other viruses.

We found, as soon as things go overnight, it's $1000. It really pissed me off as they wanted to keep her for "observation" on two separate occasions. In the morning I asked if she had taken a dump and passed anything. They couldn't say. How many times did she pee, I asked. They couldn't say. So what the hell am I paying $1000 for them to observe?? Sounds like something I could do from home while keeping my $1000.

IMO, the hospital recommends overnight stays because a) it's easy money and b) it can be justified as "just being on the safe side".

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no answer, but I wanted to send good vibes and good luck.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had to delay picking up our Golden, because a few in the litter had gotten Parvovirus, before the vaccine. Ours did not, but was separated from the litter-mates, and didn't receive as much attention as the rest since he was healthy, was still a great dog. The sickest of the bunch the breeder ended up keeping because they had grown so attached giving it 24/ 7 care. But all of the pup's pulled through. ,

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Parvovirus in new puppy [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
We didn't deal with Parvo but our pup had a few overnight hospital stays in the first couple months due to other viruses.

We found, as soon as things go overnight, it's $1000. It really pissed me off as they wanted to keep her for "observation" on two separate occasions. In the morning I asked if she had taken a dump and passed anything. They couldn't say. How many times did she pee, I asked. They couldn't say. So what the hell am I paying $1000 for them to observe?? Sounds like something I could do from home while keeping my $1000.

IMO, the hospital recommends overnight stays because a) it's easy money and b) it can be justified as "just being on the safe side".

Unless they still a 24hr incall clinic (which there is only one of in Vic), overnights generally mean that the dog is alone for about 8 hours or so.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Parvovirus in new puppy [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Unless they still a 24hr incall clinic (which there is only one of in Vic), overnights generally mean that the dog is alone for about 8 hours or so.

It is the 24 hr clinic I was referring to.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a puppy make it through this about two years ago. Ended up costing close to $3k. My wife's coworker found the black lab puppy on the side of the road--mother had just had a litter, rest of the litter and the mother had all died, and this pup was the only survivor. We took him in, he seemed healthy and fine although a bit traumatized, but two days later he was in the doggie ER on the IV drip. It was touch and go, but he pulled through, and was able to come home after about 3 days total. It was a bit painful to shell out that kind of money for a stray that we took in unplanned, especially not knowing whether it would be successful, but two years later I am so thankful we did.
Quote Reply
Re: Parvovirus in new puppy [SolaDeoGloria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortunately our vet is the emergency vet center so it costs the same as it would at a normal office 24 hours a day. If they ever have to stay overnight there is a doctor there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many weeks when you picked up the dog? Had the breeder given any shots before you took it home? Just curious.

We took our boy home in January. We were fortunate not to incur this. Our breeder provided a round of shots before we got him home, and told us that we could take him on walks out of the house but not going onto grass, definitely not to the dog park, or to the beach. We took him to the vet within a week of getting him home simply for a new puppy wellness check up and introduction. The vet went wide eyed when we told her. Apparently parvo is rampant in the town we reside, and we were confined to the house until he was nearly 3.5 months.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cute pup though. Hope she pulls through.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Parvovirus in new puppy [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
How many weeks when you picked up the dog? Had the breeder given any shots before you took it home? Just curious.

We took our boy home in January. We were fortunate not to incur this. Our breeder provided a round of shots before we got him home, and told us that we could take him on walks out of the house but not going onto grass, definitely not to the dog park, or to the beach. We took him to the vet within a week of getting him home simply for a new puppy wellness check up and introduction. The vet went wide eyed when we told her. Apparently parvo is rampant in the town we reside, and we were confined to the house until he was nearly 3.5 months.

It wasn't a breeder. It was a local farmer that passed them off to another farmer where she picked up the virus from. She had her initial shot. We only had her one day before tis happened. She is in stable condition so far. Hoping she can fight it.
Quote Reply