Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How expensive food Switzerland?
Quote | Reply
Anyone live there or been? Been reading it’s crazy expensive? Can you get by with buying food at a supermarket? $20 USD for a big Mac meal is crazy!
Quote Reply
Re: How expensive food Switzerland? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's expensive relative to the US but most of Europe is.
Quote Reply
Re: How expensive food Switzerland? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
It's expensive relative to the US but most of Europe is.

Well I’m from Australia so I’m used to things being more expensive than say the US, but I want to know how much it would cost for example for enough groceries to feed a 3 person family for a week if you bought from a supermarket?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you arriving to. Where are you staying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, first off, food almost everywhere is more expensive than it is in the usa.

saying that, i think supermarket prices in switzerland aren't too bad. you can search on coop or migros, the two main supermarkets. definitely red meat is expensive. you can do well with sales and discounts if you shop carefully. something nice about switzerland is that you can pay more for better quality - meat, eggs, and dairy, for instance, get more expensive as they get more local and organic. i'll say that even the cheap stuff seems of good quality - i know plenty of people, for instance, who can't digest milk in north america but can in switzerland.

where you get clobbered is on restaurant meals. there are very few options for cheap stuff (even pizza or chinese takeaway is pricey) and then some weird stuff like magazines (which are the most expensive on earth).

a good rule of thumb in switzerland is that wages are high and everything that involves labour is pricey.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: How expensive food Switzerland? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Where are you arriving to. Where are you staying.

Zurich, but not sure how long we will stick around depending on how expensive everything is?
Quote Reply
Re: How expensive food Switzerland? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
well, first off, food almost everywhere is more expensive than it is in the usa.

saying that, i think supermarket prices in switzerland aren't too bad. you can search on coop or migros, the two main supermarkets. definitely red meat is expensive. you can do well with sales and discounts if you shop carefully. something nice about switzerland is that you can pay more for better quality - meat, eggs, and dairy, for instance, get more expensive as they get more local and organic. i'll say that even the cheap stuff seems of good quality - i know plenty of people, for instance, who can't digest milk in north america but can in switzerland.

where you get clobbered is on restaurant meals. there are very few options for cheap stuff (even pizza or chinese takeaway is pricey) and then some weird stuff like magazines (which are the most expensive on earth).

a good rule of thumb in switzerland is that wages are high and everything that involves labour is pricey.

Cheers, I’ll have a look at those two supermarkets. I don’t mind laying through the nose for a few days but I’m not going to spend $150-$300 a day just on food when there are so many cheaper countries just around the corner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about Zurich, but when we lived in Geneva supermarket prices were high enough that most people used to drive across the border to France to do their weekly shop. Pretty much everything in Switzerland apart from public transport is pretty expensive, their currency is very strong. Supermarket prices are probably the least of your worries, unless you've somehow got free accommodation and utilities!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s pretty expensive. They had watermelons at my local Coop and they’re 16 CHF. The CHF is pretty close to the USD. Though you can find them cheaper at some of the Turkish grocery stores.

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

Cheers, I’ll have a look at those two supermarkets. I don’t mind laying through the nose for a few days but I’m not going to spend $150-$300 a day just on food when there are so many cheaper countries just around the corner

Are you going to Europe on vacation? Not sure trying to determine your weekly supermarket budget is the best way to pick countries to visit.
Quote Reply
Re: How expensive food Switzerland? [rob2681] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$16 for a watermelon lol, that’s insane!!
Quote Reply
Re: How expensive food Switzerland? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:

Are you going to Europe on vacation? Not sure trying to determine your weekly supermarket budget is the best way to pick countries to visit.

Absolutely it is, Europe is a big place with many countries to see. I’d much rather spend $100 on a nice restaurant in Italy or France for example than $100 in Switzerland and get a sandwich and a few peices of watermelon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
triguy101 wrote:

Absolutely it is, Europe is a big place with many countries to see. I’d much rather spend $100 on a nice restaurant in Italy or France for example than $100 in Switzerland and get a sandwich and a few peices of watermelon.

Understood. I’d just rather choose based on “I want to see the Alps, and the Eiffel Tower, etc.”.

Anyway, either way you’ll win with a great Euro vacation. Enjoy!
Quote Reply