Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ditch the aero helmet?
Quote | Reply
Assuming a very hot race day, approximately how much time would you lose if you wore a vented road helmet versus a aero helmet? Is it like 2-3 minutes or more like more than 5 minutes? Just weighing my options....
Quote Reply
Re: ditch the aero helmet? [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to know exactly what kind of time.

How hot are we talking?

Whats your projected bike split?

What helmets are you currently comparing?

When you say vented road helmet, are you talking about a regular helmet or an aero road helmet like the Bontrager Ballista?

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Jun 3, 18 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the market for a new helmet and was trying to balance the pros/cons of "aero" (in quotes because you don't know whats aero on you without testing), weight, and ventilation. I ended up getting a Scott Cadence Plus for a great deal – only $112! – and I really like it.

First race with it was today at Rev3 quassy and I came away with the 2nd fastest bike split.

Of course it begs the question, if I had raced with my old LG p-something (no dimples, no shield) would I have made up those 24 seconds and put down the fastest overall bike split...
Quote Reply
Re: ditch the aero helmet? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
regular road (rudy) helmet vs. aerohead. 90 degrees low humidity high altitude. 5:20 - 5:30 at around 20-21mph. Is an aero road helmet much cooler than the time trial helmet? I've never used one but an open to exploring that option as well
Quote Reply
Re: ditch the aero helmet? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice! Didn't you feel cooler or better in your new helmet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to the Botranger Ballista for long course and then short course and have never looked back. Somewhere on ST is a thread, for which the consensus was that not many aero Tri/TT helmets test much better than the new species of aero road helmets. The thread also mentioned that the above conclusion is particularly true if the rider does not have optimum head position. For hot weather, an aero road helmet is perfect. Check out photos of any warm weather Tri and you will encounter a wide range of aero road helmets. My money says many riders concluded that comfort and not feeling over-heated trump only possible and not definite watt savings.
Last edited by: sharknado: Jun 3, 18 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jockette21 wrote:
nice! Didn't you feel cooler or better in your new helmet?

It's definitely cooler. The Cadence comes with plugs for the vents and I did a few training rides where I did the first half with the plugs in and the second half with the plugs removed (and vice versa) and it's definitely cooler with the plugs out, though that's to be expected. It's also quieter with the plugs out.

I also found that I like not having the long tail on the back. As a rule I would never look down or back with the old aero helmet because it would get real noisy as the tail caught wind. With the Cadence I can "turtle" and look down more while still seeing just enough ahead of me to be safe.

I'm not sure if I notice the difference in weight while riding, but I have noticed that my neck isn't as sore once I'm off the bike. So that seems like a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jockette21 wrote:
Assuming a very hot race day, approximately how much time would you lose if you wore a vented road helmet versus a aero helmet? Is it like 2-3 minutes or more like more than 5 minutes? Just weighing my options....

I ditched the aero helmet years ago. Couldn't tell you time wise what you give up in aerodynamics, but I count the benefits of "no-aero" in different measurements. I use the Giro Synthe--a really light, semi-aero helmet that is one of the best cooling in the Giro line up. I overheat easier than the average person (read as "low thermostat')...plus, the advantage of less neck fatigue over any distance--which is noticeable even at 50-100 grams. Good bike position and keeping the head down will often negate what you see happen with many athletes.

They will keep popping their heads up every 10 pedal strokes and if a tailed helmet, put that big point up in the air and effectively "brake" and negate the aero helmet's advantage. Not to mention, I've seen so many riding the Ironman Course locally this past week, with their pointy little helmets sitting on their head so that even with their head down, still...the point is just sticking up slowing them down. This is common especially in the lower % of finishers. They have the "stuff" to look cool but don't use it right.

I go for cool & light with a bit of aero vs full on aero & it's made my racing so much more comfortable. As shapes and materials develop, I may go back aero as that gap slowly closes. But the comfort has been missing thus far from the lineups. Finally, you don't want to dehydrate yourself before the run begins from a hot helmet--if you're a heavy sweater like me. It'll help your run at the end of the day if that is the case, as keeping up with fluids can be an issue.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jun 3, 18 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Catlike Rapid Tri if you want the most versatile aero helmet. I tried it and only aero helmet with a visor I will wear at Kona without hating life by the end. Before it I wore semi aero and would go that way. The amount of time you save on the run from not cooking your head is the way you should be looking at it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jockette21 wrote:
regular road (rudy) helmet vs. aerohead. 90 degrees low humidity high altitude. 5:20 - 5:30 at around 20-21mph. Is an aero road helmet much cooler than the time trial helmet? I've never used one but an open to exploring that option as well
Are you referring to Boulder? If so, given the 620am start, you'll be done with the bike long before it's 90 degrees. You might be dealing with low/mi 80s the last hour or two though. That run, though...
Quote Reply
Re: ditch the aero helmet? [sharknado] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharknado wrote:
Went to the Botranger Ballista for long course and then short course and have never looked back. Somewhere on ST is a thread, for which the consensus was that not many aero Tri/TT helmets test much better than the new species of aero road helmets. The thread also mentioned that the above conclusion is particularly true if the rider does not have optimum head position. For hot weather, an aero road helmet is perfect. Check out photos of any warm weather Tri and you will encounter a wide range of aero road helmets. My money says many riders concluded that comfort and not feeling over-heated trump only possible and not definite watt savings.

I also used my Ballista this weekend during a hot and hilly 70.3. It would have been a real pain to ride in my Bell Javelin with sweat dripping in my eyes. Normally I always use my Javelin but after this race I might change My mind and always use the ballista. Will try to test both and ser if I can detect any diffrence in CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: ditch the aero helmet? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
I ended up getting a Scott Cadence Plus for a great deal – only $112! – and I really like it.

Any chance that deal is still available somewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: ditch the aero helmet? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Northy wrote:
I ended up getting a Scott Cadence Plus for a great deal – only $112! – and I really like it.

Any chance that deal is still available somewhere?

If you're a size small and want the helmet in black/red then it still is:
https://dreamruns.com/...56=5360&255=5360
Quote Reply
Re: ditch the aero helmet? [pad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to know your results. I have a Javelin also - purchased an aerohead bit the fit is a little off so need a medium I think (I measure in the upper side of sm) so that along with the heat and past serious heat stroke I was thinking maybe just going with the more ventilated helmet as well. I'll never have a chance to do any testing so would love to hear back :)
Quote Reply
Re: ditch the aero helmet? [sharknado] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]Somewhere on ST is a thread, for which the consensus was that not many aero Tri/TT helmets test much better than the new species of aero road helmets.[/quote]

Having tested many new species aero road helmets vs some new and older TT helmets I hope you're in the M45-49 AG using an aero road helmet. In fact I would encourage all M45-49 to ditch their aero helmets in favor of an aero road helmet or a rudy

It's still aero helmet > aero road helmet > road helmet
Near the bottom of the delineation point of each category you get some overlap

You won't see me ditching my aero helmet for an aero road helmet based on the numerous hours I've spent testing helmets on a wide range of people & positions. You may decide otherwise, and I hope if you're in my AG you do.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply