Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
On one of the occasions when my wife and I went to an uber fancy restaurant--we get all dolled up, best dress and slacks

The only person I know who uses the word "slacks" is my Dad.

He's 77 years old.

Must be a generational thing. My 93 yr old dad calls them trousers.

My understanding has always been that trousers were the pants portion of a suit, whereas slacks were "dress pants" that were similar to suit trousers, but were sold on their own, to be worn on their own.

This would be consistent with your father's terminology, because, in his day, men generally wore suits. Therefore, the pants would be referred to as "trousers." That term would then naturally carry over to refer to all "dress pants."

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
On one of the occasions when my wife and I went to an uber fancy restaurant--we get all dolled up, best dress and slacks

He's 77 years old.

My understanding has always been that trousers were the pants portion of a suit, whereas slacks were "dress pants" that were similar to suit trousers, but were sold on their own, to be worn on their own.

This would be consistent with your father's terminology, because, in his day, men generally wore suits. Therefore, the pants would be referred to as "trousers." That term would then naturally carry over to refer to all "dress pants."

When I lived in England for a couple of years (76-78) in my mid 20's "pants" always referred to underwear and "trousers" was always the word used in the UK. My girlfriend had a pair of then stylish bell bottom flairs that fit me perfectly as they were unisex and we had the same leg inseam although I was two inches taller due to torso length. Once in awhile I'd wear them if my regular "trousers" were in the wash. One night in the pub I told some locals that my girlfriend had a pair of pants that I liked to wear now and then. Got some funny but typically subdued British looks after that comment but nobody said anything. After we got home my girlfriend explained to me the UK difference between "pants" and "trousers".:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty funny! I have heard that "pants" referred to underwear in the UK. I thought, in the UK, women wear slacks and mean wear trousers. I'll rely on our British friends here in LR to confirm or correct me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:

He's 77 years old.

When I lived in England for a couple of years (76-78) in my mid 20's "pants" always referred to underwear and "trousers" was always the word used in the UK. My girlfriend had a pair of then stylish bell bottom flairs that fit me perfectly as they were unisex and we had the same leg inseam although I was two inches taller due to torso length. Once in awhile I'd wear them if my regular "trousers" were in the wash. One night in the pub I told some locals that my girlfriend had a pair of pants that I liked to wear now and then. Got some funny but typically subdued British looks after that comment but nobody said anything. After we got home my girlfriend explained to me the UK difference between "pants" and "trousers".:-)

For fuck's sake it's chinos or khakis. Everyone repeat after me, chinos/khakis. Chinos/khakis. Chinos/khakis.
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Double breasted just baffles me...........

I got married in a double-breasted suit.

And I got laid that night.

Just sayin'.
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything you need to know about "club chic" can be learned from this one photo
You're welcome

Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
That's pretty funny! I have heard that "pants" referred to underwear in the UK. I thought, in the UK, women wear slacks and mean wear trousers. I'll rely on our British friends here in LR to confirm or correct me.

wow can actually be useful for once -- though my fellow Brits may have gotten here already

pants, UK: underpants, usually men's (also an expression of disdain -- that episode was pants!)

knickers, UK: underpants, always women's (don't get your ** in a twist)

y-fronts, UK: American men's tighty whiteys

trousers, UK: unisex ankle length

slacks: always American, familiar but vaguely retro/funny here

trews: UK trousers

kicks: UK trousers (flairs I think)

plus fours: wide leg US knickers

capris: we have them but more commonly cropped trousers
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:

He's 77 years old.

What can I say, I'm cultured well beyond my years.

Seriously though, do you call them pants? Dress pants? I think slacks is the best descriptive word and pants is a stupid word, to boot.
Another vote for slacks. Dress pants sounds ridicules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 We need a picture of whatever you decided to wear.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

Alas, my wife got violently sick yesterday, so we bailed. Sorry for all the drama.

I was all set, though, and was staying a little true to my outdoorsy nature. I had a Patagonia sport coat, LL Bean pants, Abercrombie fitted shirt, OluKai Moloa leather loafers (REI!). And dark socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ironclm wrote:

Alas, my wife got violently sick yesterday, so we bailed. Sorry for all the drama.

I was all set, though, and was staying a little true to my outdoorsy nature. I had a Patagonia sport coat, LL Bean pants, Abercrombie fitted shirt, OluKai Moloa leather loafers (REI!). And dark socks.

So pretty much nothing like club chic.

Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:

So pretty much nothing like club chic.

Eff you.
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
word. Thread F-

Quote | Reply
In a club type setting, I would probably wear jeans. You mentioned San Diego and it’s kinda weird there... the women dress up nice and the guys barely try. Seriously. Especially the guys in their 20’s. You could go to the gas lamp district and see women wearing dresses and heels and the guys wearing board shorts and a hoodie.

Up until about 5 years ago, I didn’t understand why someone would buy expensive jeans, but I get it after getting a pair as a gift from my girlfriend. Go to Nordstrom’s and pick up some jeans for like $150. They will tailor the length and fit like a glove. AG’s got me really well, but you may find a different brand like 7 for all mankind. It honestly is how you “dress up” in a club setting.

Shoes may depend on the shirt, but I would most likely wear some black dress shoes. The in styles seem to be long toe shoes. Don’t wear your Dad’s tassels. They have some in between casual shoes that could pass, like this:
https://www.aldoshoes.com/...-Black/p/56907242-97

A good look for the shirt could be a nice button up shirt, no tie, leave the collar open a few buttons and wear a white shirt underneath. Think casual, but still dressy.

Otherwise, you could do something like this:
https://www.google.com/...mgrc=lJg7gHrOzcAZFM:

Again, I would wear a white shirt underneath and have it unzipped or half-zipped. It can get chilly at night in San Diego, so you could zip it up if you need to. Or, just take it off if you get too warm. This would pair well with the Aldo shoes above.

I have a similar Armani zip up and it always gets remarks and attention from women.

In a club, I would not suit up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ironclm wrote:

Damn, I just replied. Too late!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ironclm wrote:

Weepin Jesus on the cross, must have been the shoes that made your wife so violently ill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Sorry for all the drama.

As penance, you have to put the outfit on and take and post a pic.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
trail wrote:
ironclm wrote:

Weepin Jesus on the cross, must have been the shoes that made your wife so violently ill.

What kind of “club” was this supposed to be?
A hunting club? A birdwatchers club? Maybe an alpine club? The “I’m moving to Oregon or Canada club “
Patagonia makes sport coats? Who knew!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:

He's 77 years old.

What can I say, I'm cultured well beyond my years.

Seriously though, do you call them pants? Dress pants? I think slacks is the best descriptive word and pants is a stupid word, to boot.

I say "slacks," too. I'm 48. Just don't fucking say "trousers."

51 yr old here - slacks

No votes for britches?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
hot, so she can get away with it.

Who cares what you wore, (or had planned to wear).

Let's see pics of her in whatever she gets away with.
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:
trail wrote:
ironclm wrote:

What kind of “club” was this supposed to be?
A hunting club? A birdwatchers club? Maybe an alpine club? The “I’m moving to Oregon or Canada club “
Patagonia makes sport coats? Who knew!!!

Add a pair of white crew socks, Summit Racing hat, and a mustache and he could be the president of the Corvette Owners Club.
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For fuck's sake it's chinos or khakis. Everyone repeat after me, chinos/khakis. Chinos/khakis. Chinos/khakis.

My god man, read up on the matter. I weep for some of the mens in this thread.

https://oureverydaylife.com/...khakis-12622045.html

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Help!: Dress Me "Club Chic" [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

My god man, read up on the matter. I weep for some of the mens in this thread.

https://oureverydaylife.com/...khakis-12622045.html

I know, right?

There are a few terms you could use for the semi-formal pant you wear for business casual or with a sport coat, generally that is slacks/trousers/dress pants. Khakis and chinos are a whole different classification, to me it's similar to calling a polo shirt a dress shirt.
Quote Reply

Prev Next