Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elite wetsuits way too fragile???
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Taking advantage of the new Archimedes III coming out, I bought an Archimedes II which was on sale in Wiggle.

After 1 single try on of the suit (the suit fits well fyi), I already have 3 nail tears in one of the suit legs... The worst thing is that, I do not even know how I could have avoided them. I used plastic bags, used the knuckle thumb technique, even watched the instruction video from Huub with Varga.

Any tips on how to avoid this in the future? Handgloves? I just cannot imagine what I could have done different (which is exactly the same they show in the Huub video).

Anyways, until now Wiggle seem to be helpful, will see whether they can apply warranty or somehting. In my view this is just not normal for a product of this price range. Are other elite models from other brands also this fragile? If so, are those tears avoidable or does everyone go around in suits made of a mix of yamamoto and black witch glue...

Best,

Luis
Last edited by: TriLuis04: May 30, 18 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: Elite wetsuits way too fragile??? [TriLuis04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriLuis04 wrote:
Any tips on how to avoid this in the future? Handgloves?

Are other elite models from other brands also this fragile? If so, are those tears avoidable or does everyone go around in suits made of a mix of yamamoto and black witch glue...

Yes all high-end wetsuits are this fragile. You have to be very careful. Some others tips:

- Cut your fingernails prior to wetsuit day
- Bags on your feet to get the suit far up your legs easily
- Thick gloves
- Never pull from the outside if you can avoid it - grab the inside jersey material
- Stand in a cool shaded place while putting on

You will still get a tear someday so pick up some black wetsuit glue now and it is a very easy fix.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Elite wetsuits way too fragile??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Thomas, any kind of special gloves?

What about suit lube, does that make a difference? I just feel these tears were totally out of my control and don't want to end up with a collection of tears after 3/4 swims...
Last edited by: TriLuis04: May 30, 18 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 any kind of special gloves?
================================================================
i've had the best grip and luck (no nail tears) with the type of dish gloves that have a sort of matte finish on them. so, not the slick ones, although those certainly can work. just not as well for your purposes. no special brand---i just go for the thicker, non-slick type. on the housecleaning products aisle.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriLuis04 wrote:
Thank you Thomas, any kind of special gloves?

What about suit lube, does that make a difference? I just feel these tears were totally out of my control and don't want to end up with a collection of tears after 3/4 swims...

The thicker the better. You just want something that removes pressure from a sharp edge like a fingernail. I just use a spare pair of winter gloves that I keep in bag tri bag. They double as cold morning hand warmers ;)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot Thomas, appreciated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Roka has lots of fingernail pinches on the legs but I've never really given them much attention. It's hard for me to believe they make any difference in performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the wetsuits i currently wear never have fingernail tears. the reasons are:

1. my fingernails are fairly short;
2. i know how to put a wetsuit on.

this isn't an indictment on the techniques of others. just, putting on a wetsuit is a bit of a learned skill. once you learn it, your wetsuits will have have fingernail tears.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Elite wetsuits way too fragile??? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, do you see any red flags on the manner I put the wetsuit (I described it on my first post).

Cheers,

Luis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriLuis04 wrote:
Dan, do you see any red flags on the manner I put the wetsuit (I described it on my first post).

the gloves are used because people don't know how to put on wetsuits. i don't ever use gloves. what i do use are socks, or plastic bags, so that the wetsuit will go easily over my feet. otherwise, putting the wetsuit on in SECTIONS is the key here. that allows you to pull on the wetsuit with no great force.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that is exactly what I tried, but the thigh section was a massacre...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriLuis04 wrote:
Thanks, that is exactly what I tried, but the thigh section was a massacre...

when monty and i were young we used to think: get the tightest wetsuit we can slide into. the older we got, the less we believed in this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think that may be a good takeaway lesson...

Thanks Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never used gloves either. Tried on HUUB, Roka, B70, etc. Just gotta be careful. That said, a friend recently had a HUUB sleeveless, was really careful putting it on (I was watching), and the thing split wide open in two spots. He was able to return it.

I've been using a DeSoto wetsuit for 6 years that has been treated like crap, yanked on quickly, dragged across pavement, it just doesn't tear! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Elite wetsuits way too fragile??? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope to have the same chance as your friend, still waiting on the final say from Wiggle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Zoot Wiki Wiki has arms and shoulder material so thin the wet suit comes with gloves to wear while putting it on.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Elite wetsuits way too fragile??? [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Just my experiance'

I get surgical style gloves from work. I don't grab the suit, I use a flat / open hand and kind of stick it to the suit to slide it up into position. The glove kind of sticks to the surface and the friction pulls it up, no grabbing or nails needed.

We switched to nitrile gloves (green) recently at work and they are crap and don't grip. Use the latex (blue) type ;-)

For reference, I have a four season old orca predator with no nail marks - shame about the shoulder wear though ... lol

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had problems with my Huub suit as well when I first got it until a learned a trick.
Try turning the wetsuit inside out while you are putting it on. Keep your socks on so that it goes on easily over your feet. To put it on, lie it down with the feet pointed towards you, stick your feet in and then start pulling it up. This way you can pull on the inside of the suit and avoid getting any tears.

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when monty and i were young we used to think: get the tightest wetsuit we can slide into. the older we got, the less we believed in this.

Ya, the way most wetsuits fit these days with tight enough necks, I dont know why I ever wanted a tight suit. I now go with at the very least a 1/2 size big, and if it is the choice between a tighter perfect fit and a whole size bigger, I just go bigger now. Not only have I not found any swim penalty for a slightly bigger suit, it is actually faster to have that extra rubber for me, as the more I float, the faster I swim.

Now not talking about a wetsuit that fits like a Xmas sweater, it is still water tight. Just have to pull the arms up to the shoulders a bit, and the legs into the crotch, both areas that feel better less tight fitting material..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
TriLuis04 wrote:

Any tips on how to avoid this in the future? Handgloves?

Are other elite models from other brands also this fragile? If so, are those tears avoidable or does everyone go around in suits made of a mix of yamamoto and black witch glue...

Yes all high-end wetsuits are this fragile. You have to be very careful. Some others tips:

- Thick gloves
- Never pull from the outside if you can avoid it - grab the inside jersey material

You will still get a tear someday so pick up some black wetsuit glue now and it is a very easy fix.

Thomas mentioned something that's really important and I didn't know until I experienced it - Standing in the shade! For some reason, the hot sun beating down on a wetsuit's surface makes it really fragile. I have a pretty standard Xterra suit and have never nicked it putting it on. However, I did a mid-day summer swim at the beach and tore it 3x just because I stood in the hot sun to put it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same suit, the 4:4, I bought straight from Huub as it was heavily discounted because it was a demo suit. It arrived with no tears or fingernail gouges. The inner liner was a little roughed, though. In the two months I've had it, I have three tears in the armpits, both sides. I've been patching them. Soon, the entire armpit will be this thick, rubbery patch glue. And, the last time I removed it, the rubber split from the liner down at the leg opening, tore away and is now a 2" by 3" flap, just hanging there. I really want to like the suit because in warmer waters, my DeSoto is just too hot. The Huub is tolerable in 65 to 70 deg waters where I literally sweat in my T1. I'll probably cut the legs to capri length and just keep patching the armpit tears.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a year 1 generation Helix from Blue Seventy--pretty dang old. I do not have a single finger nail cut from all these years & the only minor cuts are from walking into a few things (which I patched using a Quintana Roo wetsuit patch kit). I will admit it is almost time for a new suit as the neck by the zipper has developed a dry rot hole, but I'm sure it'll hold this season just fine. I've never used bags, gloves or anything to put on the suits--I just know how to put a suit on. Lee Nicholson (owner of Blue Seventy) herself, showed me how to put a suit on correctly years ago when the "Stealth" model came out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as an update, Wiggle got back to me stating that Huub will apply the warranty as a good gesture towards me, for which I'm more than thankful to be honest.

Additionally, they sent over a video on how to correctly put on the wetsuit on their view (bit weird that they used a tutorial from another brand though). Anyways, the recommended way seems to be to use baby powder and pull from the inside (no gloves, bags, etc.). The last part of the video where they put the arms in seems a bit risky though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV5zrBpPG98
Last edited by: TriLuis04: Jun 5, 18 1:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In lieu of gloves, a silicone swim cap over your hand works exceptionally well, it both protects from fingernail tears and grips nicely, and you'll most likely have one handy anyway. That plus pulling on the inside where you can makes for an easy, tear-free wetsuit entry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

- Thick gloves

To avoid nicks in the legs of the suit, I highly recommend to pulling from the inside of the suit. Once you get your feet through, roll the suit down on your legs inside out and pull the legs up that way all the way to your waist. The liner is much more durable and gives you something to grab onto.

Otherwise, focusing on using only the pads of your fingers is a big key. What I have found is that typically, the thicker sections of neoprene are much easier to pierce with your fingernails. This is where pulling from the inside can really help.

I wouldn't say that they are "way too fragile". Yes, the materials are delicate, but with experience and the right techniques, you can generally avoid tears.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply