Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Next Full?
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Not a big poster here, but I am looking for another full and would like your advice on race venues, etc.

I have raced Louisville in 2016, Wisconsin in 2017, and most recently Santa Rosa this past month. I am looking for another full either later this year or early next and nothing on the Ironman site is jumping out at me.

To give some background and my opinions on my experiences on the previous fulls I have done;

Louisville was my first full and I had a great time. Swim was pleasant (hated the long line rolling start and wait time early am though), the bike was fair and the run was great with the spectator presence and running through the town. Finish line was fantastic. Not much to do in the town, but as my first full it was easy to navigate and a great first timer race. Hard to get that first full magic feeling again.

Wisconsin last year had a messed up swim start which I hated, the bike was hard but fun and the run was hilly for my taste. Great town and nice people though. I would not do this race.

Santa Rosa had a beautiful swim, bike was scenic, rolling and enjoyable despite the massive headwinds later in the day and the run was fine minus the three loops and isolated run course with minimal spectators towards the back sections. People complained about the rough roads but I did not find much issue with them. T1 and T2 being in different locations was not ideal for spectators, but I would do this race again.

The above is based on my personal experiences at these races. I will say all races were put on professionally and the volunteers were great at all three.

Admittedly, I am not speedy. Normally finish high 12's, low 13s, but I enjoy the mental part of Ironman and really am looking for a race that is more about having a fun day than scoring a PR. I'd prefer cooler temps not only for wetsuit reasons but I tend to overheat easily. Should also be noted I have a wife and two young kids (4/2) that I like to share the experience/journey with. We usually go early or stay after to get a small vacation in. I am from PA and usually use TriBike to ship out gear/bike.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Next Full? [ACook1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With 3 full's under your belt over the last 2 years, why not change it up a bit and try a different type of race?

I did a handful of IM distance events over the years and found a grass-roots race was a nice change. The race that piqued my interest was Sea to Summit 2.0, which starts with a 1.5 mile swim then a 93 mile point to point ride (where your family will be your support crew because there are no aid stations), and finishes with a 6 mile-ish run where you climb/run up Mt. Washington to the highest peak in the Northeast. Your family will definitely get to share the experience because they will provide your support. And its a great area to vacation afterwards!

The SOS triathlon looks fun as well.

Enjoy the journey!

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cooler temps, looking for fun? Time to look outside the U.S. I'm heading to IM Norway (1 July 2019) and plan to register early for IM Ireland (23 Jun 2019).

Or pick up IM Copenhagen and take the kids to Tivoli Gardens. Or do IM Sweden but spend a few days in Stockholm and take the kids to Grona Lund.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: May 29, 18 19:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACook1 wrote:

Louisville was my first full and I had a great time...... Not much to do in the town....

Seriously?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Florida
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACook1 wrote:

Wisconsin...the run was hilly for my taste.

Really? It's just one hill you do twice, maybe 5 minutes of your 13 hour day.

Mont Tremblant is a great family trip location but the run is at least as hilly as IMWISC. Same with Lake Placid. If your criteria is less hilly run than Wisconsin, you are really limited. Maybe Florida if your family likes hanging out at the beach.
Quote Reply
Re: Next Full? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just what I remember from memory. Your right in the day a whole its a small part of it, I just recall not enjoying that long downhill followed by the uphill through the observatory . Not a huge deal like you said and I wouldn't not go back because of the run segment .

I wouldn't say a flat run is a mandatory criteria in choosing the next race.

Lake Placid and Mont Tremblant look like a great races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACook1 wrote:

I've done both and much preferred IMMT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short answer IMMT was awesome. It was my first. Next year I’m doing IMLV. What I did was I had a voting forum with the family, it also helped me to teach the kids about civics and why people get so political. All while still having fun. Basically I put all the North American races out and everyone got to nominate some races (2 for adults 1 for kids). Then we ranked them 1-6 without lobbying or discussion and apply them according to the average rank of each race. We take the top 4 and have a round of debate giving each person 2 minutes of uninterrupted lobbying, and after everyone gets their day we have 5 minutes of group discussion. Finally we re-rank and the top slot gets it. Sure it’s a little bit of a Rube Goldberg way to chose a race but the kids learn something and it makes it a mystery for you too.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
ACook1 wrote:

Why's that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for later this year, Tremblant

For next year, Placid, 100% I prefer flat bike courses but I still loved this race. It is fair but not very difficult. The run has a couple punches you hit on each of the two laps that put the hurt in.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Next Full? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Thom wrote:
ACook1 wrote:

Why's that?

Hard to say really, I left LP without feeling the need to ever go back. I left MT wanting to return.

Lodging was much simpler at IMMT. We were able to get a nice condo in walking distance at IMMT at a reasonable price. Places at LP are scarce, expensive or far away. The whole race takes place in the little village at MT.

The town of Mont Tremblant really embraces the race, it had a much more welcoming feel than LP (purely my perception).
The roads at IMMT are in excellent condition and almost completely closed to traffic.

Personal preference, but I prefer the shorter punchy climbing in MT to the long grinding climbs at LP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Thanks for the information.
Quote Reply