Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter
Quote | Reply
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...er-meter-pedals.html

So, I know folks had some major issues with the new Garmin pedals. (anyone care to recap those issues for us?)

I wonder if these pedals will do the trick. They sure look nice and I do like Look pedals and the undersides of these pedals sure look aero....

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was excited until I got to the part where DCR mentions price. These are a non-starter for me at $1,200-$1,300 USD. To have a shot at my wallet share, they would have to be no more than $1,100 USD, and that is a stretch for me.

Assioma and PowerTap own the value and performance benchmarks at $763 & $800 respectively. PowerTap has established itself as the performance leader in the pedal category, and Assioma has given no one to doubt them either. Garmin at $1K will sort itself out and earn back its reputation. A new entrant 20% to 30% above Garmin will be relying solely on its brand promise with no prior pedal experience to leverage. And, Look's former PM partnerships all ended in flames.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for Look, I like their new THM SRM crank.

As for the price, $200 extra for a high quality Look pedal body and a powermeter that is EXACT is worth it to me and not a huge issue...

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope they get there customer service working better. I had the Polar/Look power pedals and those metal plates on the pedals are very fragile, or atleast they fall of if the bike tips over or you have a crash. You can't buy the plate as a spare part but you had to send the entire pedal to france to have them glue on a new piece of metal and charge you €150 for it.

It looks liek they kept the five year old Polar pedal but mange to integrate the pods inside. Hope their batteries cope better with lower temperature than those coincells they used in the old pods.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I noticed is that SRM said you never have to do a zero offset after installing them correctly. I for one want to know what my offset is before every ride. It seems more and more power meter companies are trying to dummy proof their power meters for people who have no idea how they work or how to use them properly. Wonder if you will still have the ability to do a zero offset manually and see the value.

I’m personally of the opinion that pedal based pm’s are unreliable, not durable, and inaccurate mainly based on the previous two. See all the various posts on here about folks issues with pedal based pm’s. I get the appeal of pedal based pm’s but it just seems they aren’t where crank or hub based pm’s are.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this has real potential in the current market. The powertap pedals have longevity issues (bearings) and regular issues with clip in smoothness. The garmin Vector pedals have battery issues and some known software problems. Though people keep wanted the price to go down, i would gladly spend an extra 200-300 for a product that lasts and is bug free.

As a speedplay user this is a hard pill to swallow, but considering the ability to move between bikes and the theoretical SRM quality it could be the first pedal based power meter that i would consider purchasing. As a high volume cyclist who mostly races Crits i have used Quarq PM's for years, but they have a two year lifespan and cost as much as these pedals. I have stayed away from the garmin/powertap options due to the known issues to date and not liking their clip in motions (not at all smooth like shimano or look). Time will tell.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve agree, the big thing is how the offset drifts with temperature, it seems like these pedal based PM companies all say just ride, even if your bike has been inside at 68 degrees and going out to 95, where if on a SRM crankset it’s best To leave it outside to adjust/expand etc..I have a few SRM PM7 systems, don’t think I’ll ever change. With the prices of SRMs on eBay I am shocked how long they’re staying up these days.
Last edited by: mike s: May 30, 18 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If SRM is involved, you don't have to worry about it. You pay for the privilege, but they support their products for ages.

Last edited by: M----n: May 29, 18 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm amazed the Assioma Duo regularly fail to get even a mention. They use Look-cleats, have 50hr rechargeable battery, cheap replacement parts that are readily available, have the highest accuracy of the pedal-based systems, and are the cheapest. The Assioma is the second generation and they've been around 3 years already at this point with relatively ZERO bad reports. I'm borrowing a set from a friend while I narrow down my choices and they are ultimately what I will buy. They don't look nearly as good as the Look/SRM or Garmin variants but at $500 and $250 cheaper I think I can live with it.
Last edited by: kyle h: May 30, 18 4:29
Quote Reply
Re: SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
I'm amazed the Assioma Duo regularly fail to get even a mention. They use Look-cleats, have 50hr rechargeable battery, cheap replacement parts that are readily available, have the highest accuracy of the pedal-based systems, and are the cheapest. The Assioma is the second generation and they've been around 3 years already at this point with relatively ZERO bad reports. I'm borrowing a set from a friend while I narrow down my choices and they are ultimately what I will buy. They don't look nearly as good as the Look/SRM or Garmin variants but at $500 and $250 cheaper I think I can live with it.

I think that is quite Region/Country specific. In EU they are well used/talked about. It is kind of a no brainer with the assioma, the old ones "bepro", had some drawbacks (e.g. how easy they were to move from bike to bike etc.). But the 2nd gen Assioma all of this is fixed at a lower price.

DCR also wrote an article about the technical/white paper they have done for the assioma, it is so detailed that it blows every other company out of the water!

If just the pedal based PM could get around the shimano cleat patent design...
Last edited by: lassekk: May 30, 18 5:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:

I was going to purchase the Assioma Duo but then caught the Clevertraining VIP sale and got the PowerTap P1 for $634. I couldn't pass up the deal.

I agree though. I am surprised that there isn't more discussion of the Assioma pedals as a serious PM contender.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://bikerumor.com/...-power-meter-pedals/

Quote:
The app then guides you through a one-time calibration process, after which the zero offset should not change over time. The power metering is temperature independent, and so they do not need to be recalibrated with each ride.

Uhhhhh what?????

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure the app allows for setting/checking the zero offset

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
As a speedplay user this is a hard pill to swallow, but considering the ability to move between bikes and the theoretical SRM quality it could be the first pedal based power meter that i would consider purchasing.

Same here (first clause). Not just to you, but to all: anyone know of any rumors of someone re-tackling a speedplay-based PM?

Ron_Burgundy wrote:
i have used Quarq PM's for years, but they have a two year lifespan.

I may be an outlier, but I've had my quarq for 10+ years with no issues. Love it. Just battery replacements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God bless those first generation power meter owners. Paving the way to solid products for us all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Quote:
The app then guides you through a one-time calibration process, after which the zero offset should not change over time. The power metering is temperature independent, and so they do not need to be recalibrated with each ride.

Uhhhhh what?????

I wonder how the installation will look like:

"So you actually thread the pedals into your cranks with an 8mm hex key until they are tight, and then back them out until the mark on the pedal end is aligned with the cranks. Holding them aligned in place, the nut on the pedal side of the crank is then tightened with a 19mm cone wrench. It is a simple process actually (and there’s a decent amount of room for error)"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Quote:

Uhhhhh what?????

With a little googling it looks like there are self compensating strain gauges that compensate for temp changes. So it’s possible but haven’t heard of any power meters with this type before.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that the price is simply a reflection of the EU to USD exchange rates.

I'm more worried about the charging pins in this picture clearly being scratched/damaged by the contact with the 8mm hex wrench.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: SRM/Look Pedal Powermeter [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I am pretty sure that the price is simply a reflection of the EU to USD exchange rates.

I'm more worried about the charging pins in this picture clearly being scratched/damaged by the contact with the 8mm hex wrench.
Ditto. And, I am not a fan of the installation procedure that DCR describes. It looks like it requires two tools and an app. I frequently move my pedals between bikes, and one of the things I love is the quick, no-nonsense installation. For that, P1, Assioma, and Vector 3 set the gold standard. And, P1 and Assioma set the price and value baseline at $800. So, the SRM value challenge is the same one that Garmin faced with the old Vector 2 & pricing versus the P1. It was priced higher than the P1 with a pod & involved installation. The old V2 was not competitive until they cut the price. The SRM pedals, at a $400 to $500 price premium over P1 and Assioma, has a taller hill to climb with only its brand promise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:

I have struggled to find them in the US. Every time they were out of stock. How is the clip in?
Quote Reply