Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which Aero Brake-Levers for Omega-X (front), Tektro BB Brake (rear) and eTap?
Quote | Reply
Hi ST,

I am converting my Road-Cockpit to Tri and have zero experience or even knowledge of Aero Brake-Levers. The front-brake is an Omega-X and the rear is some Tektro at the bottom bracket. I currently run both brakes without adjuster (eTap Road-Shifters). That works well, but I need a bit of cable-pull because the rims (24mm Mavic Exalith) are a bit smaller than the tires (GP 4000II 23mm front, 25mm rear).

Future basebar will most likely be Stratis CX basebar (20,5mm internal diameter) with eTap Blips. After gathering some information I plan to play it safe an use SRAM 990s. However, before I mess things up and end up offroad could you give me your advise?

Thanks, Tobias
Quote Reply
Re: Which Aero Brake-Levers for Omega-X (front), Tektro BB Brake (rear) and eTap? [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use SRAM 990's.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Which Aero Brake-Levers for Omega-X (front), Tektro BB Brake (rear) and eTap? [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Omega brakes since before they came out, actually (Nick loaned me a prototype set years ago and they helped me win the state TT that year and others). I've always paired them with the brakes I've linked below that have a very nice little barrel adjuster built right in. They really help you fine-tune the Omega setup because it's alway critical for Omega performance that you have NO slack in the system. The Omegas are excellent when properly set up. I'm confident these levers will work quite well with your other brake as well.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-brakes-levers/bontrager-xxx-aero-brake-lever/p/09848/

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We always recommend the Shimano levers. The model numbers are BL-TT78 (alloy version) and BL-TT79 (carbon version). They have a bit more cable pull than other levers, and work really well with Omega X brakes. That's why we stock them with our Omni builds.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Which Aero Brake-Levers for Omega-X (front), Tektro BB Brake (rear) and eTap? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick... however I don´t think I will survive to mix my nice eTap with ShimaNO ;-) Anyway, Omega-X works super-nice and setup is super-clean - thanks for this TriRig!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brake lever did you end up going with? I am getting Front and Rear Omega X brakes and debating between SRAM S-990 and SRAM S-900. I am leaning towards the S-900 since I dont need to be able to change the the brake spacing to the rim from the lever when you can do it independly on each pad at the brake. And I like the carbon fiber look better.. Is this a good decision?

Also, any info about changing brake cables? Looking at running either the Yokuzuma Reaction Brake kit of Jagwire Pro Brake kit. Both my bikes will be hung in traditional TT/tri bike locations at the top of the wheel.

Thanks!

Chi
Quote Reply
Re: Which Aero Brake-Levers for Omega-X (front), Tektro BB Brake (rear) and eTap? [cpatel529] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the first generation Omega paired with the 990s and loved the braking on my da (front and rear). Out of the questionable marginal gains, but definitely more aesthetically pleasing, I switched to 3T's knife levers and the stopping power went to crap. It's enough for me and what I need, but most if not a vast majority would find the braking woefully inadequate. I've since upgraded the front brake to the X as well as the rear wheel on the Da and braking is much better, but I still think I am losing out with the 3Ts (in terms of brake feel and pure stopping power).

cpatel529 wrote:
What brake lever did you end up going with? I am getting Front and Rear Omega X brakes and debating between SRAM S-990 and SRAM S-900. I am leaning towards the S-900 since I dont need to be able to change the the brake spacing to the rim from the lever when you can do it independly on each pad at the brake. And I like the carbon fiber look better.. Is this a good decision?

Also, any info about changing brake cables? Looking at running either the Yokuzuma Reaction Brake kit of Jagwire Pro Brake kit. Both my bikes will be hung in traditional TT/tri bike locations at the top of the wheel.

Thanks!

Chi

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Which Aero Brake-Levers for Omega-X (front), Tektro BB Brake (rear) and eTap? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
I had the first generation Omega paired with the 990s and loved the braking on my da (front and rear). Out of the questionable marginal gains, but definitely more aesthetically pleasing, I switched to 3T's knife levers and the stopping power went to crap. It's enough for me and what I need, but most if not a vast majority would find the braking woefully inadequate. I've since upgraded the front brake to the X as well as the rear wheel on the Da and braking is much better, but I still think I am losing out with the 3Ts (in terms of brake feel and pure stopping power).

cpatel529 wrote:

Thanks!

Chi

Thanks for the info! The S-990 and S-900 seem very similiar. I dont need to be able to modify the brake pad to wheel distance from the lever (can do this indepedently from the Omega X) so went with the S-900. Also, it was a little cheaper...
Quote Reply
Re: Which Aero Brake-Levers for Omega-X (front), Tektro BB Brake (rear) and eTap? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will say in design stand point of view. I have a set of Profile Design carbon brake levers with front and rear Omega X brakes and they work well. I would think other levers will do the same. I've looked around and Shimano, Profile Design, Sram, Zipp and most brake levers look very similar, but my favorite is TRP TTLVR carbon. Others have curved lever design but this one has more angled(?) which I like. They look more sharp.

https://www.amazon.com/TRP-Carbon-Ergonomic-Bicycle-Levers/dp/B074FPVHS7
Quote Reply