Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Movie Review: Solo - A Star Wars Story [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I enjoyed the movie, but it didn't especially excite me like the Marvel Movies are right now.

Frankly I think SW just has a lot of competition these days, and it may just be a brand that is being left behind like Classic Rock. Of course, this is all just relative to its own success. Its not doing badly at all, just not living up to its own expectations.

Anymore I'm expecting to walk into a SW film like a James Bond film. Who knows what actors will be playing what parts, who is directing it, the overall feel of the movies, etc. etc. I just expect anoth decent blockbuster movie that is Star Wars themed.

I agree. Star Wars is in a tough spot. When it originally came out, it was earth-moving. For many of us around this age, we were first going to movies when these original franchise came out. The combined excitement of going to the movies and seeing something so new left an impression. I think many of us going into these latest movies are hoping to recapture that youthful exuberance and it just isn't there. Yes, very fun, enjoyable films. But, we cannot get that childhood awe back because we have already seen this story.

On the flip side, we grew up with the Marvel and DC comics. These new movies are really bringing our beloved characters to life in a way never done before. So, when we see these superhero flicks, we do escape back to our childhood days of wonder and awe, which is what causes the excitement.

That's my feeling, at least, FWIW.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Solo - A Star Wars Story [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you get to be old farts you have already seen most of the themes. Think how many times you see a movie and think, "well, this was a lot better when it was called ..."

I was thinking about this after I posted above. How did I expect to be surprised? I already know how Han winds up. They couldn't hardly surprise me by having him and Quira running off to have a family. Of course I predicted as soon as I saw her that she would end up messing with his head, otherwise we would have heard of her in episode 4.

And my wife will just have to get over the fact that he is too short to be Han.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Solo - A Star Wars Story [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
When you get to be old farts you have already seen most of the themes. Think how many times you see a movie and think, "well, this was a lot better when it was called ..."

I was thinking about this after I posted above. How did I expect to be surprised? I already know how Han winds up. They couldn't hardly surprise me by having him and Quira running off to have a family. Of course I predicted as soon as I saw her that she would end up messing with his head, otherwise we would have heard of her in episode 4.

And my wife will just have to get over the fact that he is too short to be Han.

Looks like projections are saying the film will do about $400 million total global ticket sales. Which means, given its $250 million production cost after all those re-shoots and the cost of prints and marketing -- and for a film this big, those costs may be as little $100 million, though prints and marketing costs typically equal the production cost of a movie of this caliber -- you're looking at a total cost of about $500 million, using the traditional rule when it comes to prints and marketing. Solo may get lucky and come in on the low-end figure ($100 million) for those prints and all that marketing, but that's a big if. Total cost should come in north of $400 million, even under a rosy scenario, meaning the film is going to cost Disney anywhere from $50 million to $80 million in losses:

"Wall Street analyst Barton Crockett says Solo will lose more than $50 million. Industry financing sources, however, say that figure could come in at $80 million or higher, although no one knows the exact terms of Disney's deals for home entertainment and television, among other ancillary revenues.

Solo, directed by Ron Howard, isn't likely to gross much more than $400 million globally against a budget of at least $250 million and a major multimillion-dollar marketing spend. The movie lost major altitude in its second weekend of play to finish Sunday with a domestic total of $148.9 million and a global cume of $264.2 million.

"This marks a tough return to movie reality for a Disney that had in recent years enjoyed a can't-miss mystique," Crockett wrote in his note to investors."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jun 5, 18 20:55
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Solo - A Star Wars Story [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Someone seems to have a case of SWDS.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Solo - A Star Wars Story [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
If nothing else, Solo: A Star Wars Story demonstrates, yet again, that Ron Howard knows how to make good movies.

Part of the recent effort to expand on the Star Wars universe by building a set of prequels that provide deeper background to the main series, Solo is basically an origin story for Han Solo, one of the most beloved of George Lucas' creations. The film introduces a young Han (Alden Ehrenreich) and his girlfriend Qi'ra (Emelia Clarke), on the run from a local crime boss, and with big plans to strike it rich and get out of the life of petty crime and slavery they have been stuck in. Separated from Qi'ra during their escape, Han sets out to make enough money to buy a ship and return to find her. Along the way, he teams up with a band of criminals, finds a couple of new friends, and develops into the beginnings of the seasoned smuggler we know from the original trilogy.

Overall, the movie is a bit of an action heist movie, which is appropriate for a film about a smuggler. The action moves well, with a few big set pieces, and the effects are what you'd expect. Some of the standard Star Wars stuff is in there, like funny aliens, and jokey humor, but it was managed well so that there are no Jar Jar Binks or Ewoks to ruin the movie. The characters are pretty good. Ehrenreich is ok as Han, although I don't know that I view him as a young Harrison Ford, so much as his own version of Han. Donald Glover is good as Lando Calrissian, and at times, sounds just like Billy Dee Williams. There are a few other recognizable faces playing both good guys and bad, although not all of the likable characters survive to the end. The best thing about the movie is seeing the references to the Star Wars universe, the Easter eggs and nods to things you've seen in other films. There's tons of stuff in there that explains how Han becomes the character we know and love, how Chewbacca becomes his friend and copilot, references to characters and aspects of the Star Wars universe, and actions that set the scene for the original timeline movies.

Solo is a good addition to the Star Wars film universe, and benefits from not working so hard to tie in Jedis, the force, Sith, etc. Instead, it's content to be its own film, tell Han's story, and deliver good action with good humor.

Standard Star Wars violence, no foul language, no sexual content other than some kissing. Rated PG-13, and probably fine for kids in the pre-teen age and up. I'd think twice about taking kids younger than 7 or 8, if only because it might be hard for them to keep track of what's going on, and some sympathetic characters die during the movie.

Overall, two thumbs up. I liked Solo better than the most recent Jedi movies.

I agree with your review. Solo, overall, was an excellent movie. I think the only reason it did so poorly in theaters was due to it being released so close to Infinity War.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Solo - A Star Wars Story [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Someone seems to have a case of SWDS.

;-)

Spoilers ahead, so warning and all that:

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next