Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman walk breaks [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What we're effectively saying here is don't kid yourself. How many of us MOP/BOP AGs are trained enough to consider running the whole of a full IM Marathon? My brick runs are usually 5-8km, and that's pretty much how long I last in any HIM or IM run.

So instead, I should try to extend those good 5-8km and space them out, say for the first 12-15km? If I train better, then maybe even spread them out to 21km?

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been training walk run since a marathon in April. It has worked really well - so much so that I'll try an open marathon with it next year.

Using it, three weeks ago I ran a 1:35 HM in a 70.3, just 5 min off my open half PB.

I ran 9 min, walked 1min.

Each cycle, the walk costs me just 15s per km - so if I run 9min at 4:55/km, the pace averages out at 5:10/km. (In the 70.3 above I was running about 4:20/km.)

The recovery in the walk part is incredible. You feel like new. And you get cooling and nutrition sorted easily as a bonus.

For my upcoming IM I'll be using it for sure. The run is four laps, I'll walk 1min for 5 aid stations each lap.

I think it's really underrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my first IM next month. I plan to walk the aid stations to eat a block and get some water down and ice, if needed. I did this in a 70.3 two weeks ago and finished it with plenty of gas in the tank. I'm not trying to win it, or even KQ, but I'd like to finish the IM without being in complete shambles, that's the goal at least!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have time before the race, you might want to scout the run course to plan your walk breaks. There are some steep hills around lost lake and where the trail approaches roads. As has been pointed out, it might be more efficient for you to walk those sections. I know the hill up to lost lake at 1 km would burn a few of my matches if I tried to power up it so soon after getting off of the bike.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
Looking at taking walk breaks during IM Whistler run, I have been hearing about athletes having good success with this strategy. Anyone under 3:40 having success with scheduled walk breaks, I have been doing 15/1 min and my legs seem to feel better then straight long runs the next day. I am over 50 and hoping to run in the 3:30 to 3:40 range.

What I might suggest is planning your walks strategically. You could walk 15-30 seconds during each aid station or skip a few aid stations and take a 30 second break for any steeper sections you encounter. I highly encourage this strategy for anyone going over 3:30.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
pokey wrote:
Looking at taking walk breaks during IM Whistler run, I have been hearing about athletes having good success with this strategy. Anyone under 3:40 having success with scheduled walk breaks, I have been doing 15/1 min and my legs seem to feel better then straight long runs the next day. I am over 50 and hoping to run in the 3:30 to 3:40 range.

What I might suggest is planning your walks strategically. You could walk 15-30 seconds during each aid station or skip a few aid stations and take a 30 second break for any steeper sections you encounter. I highly encourage this strategy for anyone going over 3:30.

What if someone one is looking to be just under the 3:30 mark, like a 3:15-3:20? Is this an approach you would still recommend or would you say just practice your pacing coming off the bike to make sure you aren't burning matches to fast? Or maybe something totally different?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m doing my first IM at Louisville in October. Will be trying the 9/1 run/walk method for the first time. Lookin forward to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
I'm doing my first IM next month. I plan to walk the aid stations to eat a block and get some water down and ice, if needed. I did this in a 70.3 two weeks ago and finished it with plenty of gas in the tank. I'm not trying to win it, or even KQ, but I'd like to finish the IM without being in complete shambles, that's the goal at least!

my first IM was last year at Chattanooga and I walked all the aid stations after mile 9 or 10. If I do another IM, I will probably plan on walking all of the aid stations. I drank coke and ate potato chips starting at mile 10 aid station and continued at every aid station.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
pokey wrote:

What if someone one is looking to be just under the 3:30 mark, like a 3:15-3:20? Is this an approach you would still recommend or would you say just practice your pacing coming off the bike to make sure you aren't burning matches to fast? Or maybe something totally different?

I ran/walked aid stations and went 3:13 off a 56 mile bike and 3:27 off a full 112. I wasn't in great run shape for the 3:27 so if you're in good run shape I think a 3:20 is doable. I don't stop for all of the stations though. Usually around miles 10-20. After 20 or so miles I'm afraid if I stop and walk I won't be able to run again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
pokey wrote:

I'd refer back to the OP, who was talking about Whistler. Chances are after that bike course, most folks already burned matches. So for that specific case, plan the run/walk accordingly. Unless you're already proven on a course with that much elevation gain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run sub 3.20 a few times using 20min run / 30s walk or similar timing with aid stations.

I've found the biggest benefit to be the critical fatigue point with the big drop of in speed happens later in the run.

Experiment and try on your long runs and see what happens.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:
I've run sub 3.20 a few times using 20min run / 30s walk or similar timing with aid stations.

I've found the biggest benefit to be the critical fatigue point with the big drop of in speed happens later in the run.

Experiment and try on your long runs and see what happens.

I am doing IMChatt this September. I know it doesn't have a ton of elevation like some run courses. but it has a couple of hills late in the first and second loop of the marathon.

Any thoughts on just doing the run/walk on the steep hill sections? I was thinking running the flat parts and that once I got to the "hills" walking or seriously slowing my pace to just above a walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone use the same logic on the bike, maybe easy 1 min every 30 min or something like that?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
Does anyone use the same logic on the bike, maybe easy 1 min every 30 min or something like that?

I remember reading something about this - iirc it doesn't give many advantages, two main issues:

1. You tend to get breaks now and again anyway - small periods of coasting or soft pedalling (e.g. downhills, not getting in draft zone), which effectively are doing a 'walk run'.
2. Taking the 'easy minute' on the flat causes you lose your momentum, and either you have to go hard to get the speed back up after the break (bad idea) or it takes a long time to get there.

However, 1 min every 30 may not have this issue, but that seems like something that would happen naturally anyway with downhills and such.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
With 2700m of climbing on the bike, there’s gonna be a whole lot of walking in whistler this year....

Looking at Ironman Lanzarote which has about the same amount of climbing I noticed that run times there actually appear to be quite fast given the bike elevation gain, any idea if this run course is short or perhaps does riding so many hills work your muscles differently then just a flat course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used this method & went under 3:30 many times. Typically, I like the run the entire thing, stopping only for bathroom breaks. I'm heat sensitive so the hotter--the more aid stations I walk to take in more fluids. You can *plan* a strategy but in Ironman it doesn't always work according to plan no matter how hard you try. So many issues can crop up. I'd suggest taking a short walk AS NEEDED. If you feel like you can keep going--do. Near the later parts of the race, it can be quite difficult to get going again & find a rhythm. That's my answer to your post & I'm sticking with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the Jeff Galloway book and he recommended trying 2:00 running/ :30 walking...he says that anything less than around :30 and you don't get the benefit of the recovery. I'm trying it this year at imlp and we'll see:) My training paces have been the same with the walk/run as with straight up running, and I haven't needed any recovery time, really, after my long walk/runs, which has made the rest of my training more productive. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of fast-walking through aid stations in hot weather. Staying hydrated is more important than saving a few seconds. I did this last Sunday for a 3:11 IM-distance run in over 30C temperatures, and doubt it cost me more than a few minutes. Scoop of ice water over my head, drink cola, drink water, pour cup of water over head, and straight back out - probably not more than 10 or 15 seconds.
I'm not necessarily a fan of scheduled walk breaks other than for hydration purposes though - isn't that what the training is designed to condition us to endure!?

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman walk breaks [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's called the Galloway method. Worked great for the wife and I running 1/2's. Can help prevent injury in injury prone participants.

That's the "beep beep beep, blip" you hear on the 4min and 1min intervals if there is a big group run.

I started off at 3min and 1min and then transitioned to 4min and 1min. Then, I start skipping every other. Etc.... Skipping every other is almost doing a mile then walking a minute, do a mile and walk a minute.

I am NOT a runner. I loathe it. But do it to keep some bone density and not be a totally inept roadie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan on walking at aid stations to get hydration, nutrition and allow for some absorption. Usually when they are 1 to 2 miles apart, built in walk breaks.

I have gotten into trouble in the past when I ignored that approach and paid for it later in the run.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply

Prev Next