Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmcdc wrote:
Quote:
My favorite though was the one time I was out on the SRT doing a long run, and I encountered a guy on a bike, wearing ski goggles, with a parrot on his shoulder. He had on a winter coat and hat despite it being about 65 degrees...

===========================================================================
whoa----this now gets into a description of daily fare here in santa monica. parrots on shoulders of variously-dressed persons is pretty common. all in all, our city seems to function as a type of open air asylum.
peggy

Like Key West?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please stop and ask her next time. I must know.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Also, as a result of you posting this thread I now need to go explore the Bicyclists' Baltimore Pike. I've noticed signs scattered around Delco (the one where the route crosses 420 in Morton comes to mind) but never looked into how it all connects. "

Its not an amazing ride, but its a way for me to do an out and back without having to put too much though into my route. It pretty much parallels baltimore pike (hence the name) on the south side. I pick it up just south of University of Swarthmore and ride it to the city limits (gets you right to the edge of the west philly ghetto). Its mostly flat, so its a nice reprieve from riding through the Delaware Valley.

It also avoids all the bad neighborhoods. I've been riding a lot more this summer and was trying to make a loop of it by heading up to Villanova. Unfortunately, theres just no way to avoid the Upper Darby ghettos. This route, fortunately, stays south of all of that.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Strange denizens of the SRT... Yep I pretty much see both the three-wheeler dude, and the crazy scruffy long walk guy every time I am out there.

My favorite though was the one time I was out on the SRT doing a long run, and I encountered a guy on a bike, wearing ski goggles, with a parrot on his shoulder. He had on a winter coat and hat despite it being about 65 degrees...

Not on the SRT but last week I was picking up my car from the shop and waiting out front I noticed a guy riding along the road on a bike wrapped in foil - frame, handlebars and spokes. He must have had some left over because he'd wrapped his hardhat in foil too. Really set off the hi-vis vest.

The mechanic who was pulling my car round just looked at me, shrugged and said "That's a lot of foil."

This guy I used to see all of the time on MLK. Not on the weekends when the road was closed but like mid week on the trail. I think he also frequents John B Kelly.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
I think he also frequents John B Kelly.
There could also def be a separate strange denizens of KP thread... 4 weeks until it opens, and 6 weeks until the hair weaves at the bottom of that pool start reproducing (on their own?)

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: May 24, 18 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
cmd111183 wrote:
I think he also frequents John B Kelly.

There could also def be a separate strange denizens of KP thread... 4 weeks until it opens, and 6 weeks until the hair weaves at the bottom of that pool start reproducing (on their own?)

Best life guards in Philly
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I moved to Drexel Hill recently and need to figure out biking in the area. I miss being able to ride to work. The bummer here is that the distance is fine (7-9 miles, depending on how you go), but I haven't figured out a safe route from DH into CC. Baltimore Ave is marked for sharing, but the traffic flow/lack of shoulder seems pretty hostile for riding. How are you doing the Baltimore Pike thing?

Oh, and after decades of bike commuting pretty sure I have the TM on crazy Philly bike lady.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theres a guy in Austin who rides around town in nothing but a g-string. I see him a couple times a week in the warm months.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: May 24, 18 13:52
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:
I moved to Drexel Hill recently and need to figure out biking in the area. I miss being able to ride to work. The bummer here is that the distance is fine (7-9 miles, depending on how you go), but I haven't figured out a safe route from DH into CC. Baltimore Ave is marked for sharing, but the traffic flow/lack of shoulder seems pretty hostile for riding. How are you doing the Baltimore Pike thing?

Oh, and after decades of bike commuting pretty sure I have the TM on crazy Philly bike lady.

The Bicyclists' Baltimore Pike isn't actually Baltimore Pike - it runs roughly parallel to and south of Baltimore Pike.

http://www.mapmyride.com/...fullscreen/23664202/

I'm in DH too!
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: May 24, 18 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can give you a few tips.

Once you get to the city limits you are going to be in the West Philadelphia Born and Raised ghetto. I've ridden through there many times and haven't had any problems, but its not pretty, and I wouldn't go through there after dark.

There's a brewery called Dock Street Brewery on 50th street that is pretty much at the very edge of a hipster gentrified area. If you make make your shortest route from the city limits to there, you hit a pretty nice section of neighborhoods all the way in to University City. The rest you can figure out yourself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:

Ack, too many new acronyms. I've come to understand KP, had never known the longer John P name. But TM? What's that now?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: May 25, 18 8:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get from DH to CC on a pretty safe route. It just takes a little longer. I live in Havertown and go down some quite neighborhoods and hop on the Cynwyd Trail to Manyaunk and then follow that in Kelly Drive to Pine St or South street and take that it. It is a bit longer but you can get some miles in and be a bit safer. I am not a good cyclist and I am good with this look.

That unicycle guy is a boss! I've seen him everywhere, he gets around on one wheel! I tell my kids we will find it, I think that would blow there mind!

That women might think you are traveling on the wrong side of the road. Maybe she thinks you should be riding against traffic instead of with it. She also might be crazy and mean. Philly has a lot of those people as well. I have seen a lot of things laying on the side of the road on Baltimore Pike, you are pretty brave to be riding in parts of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, Providence Road! Will have to try that. Not too intimidated by the 'hood, been riding back and forth to Temple/North Broad for many years, agree about keeping those rides during reasonable hours.

Of course, now I have to think about the bike I'd use for the commute. Not using my good roadie, and the commuter I used in the city was one of those '70s era steel 3-spd Raleighs that weighs about 1k pounds and has been stuck in the high gear. Perfectly fine for CC flat roads, but...

Looks like it's time to pay a visit to my LBS.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, it's the lawyer in me forgetting that most people are happily uninfected by lawyerisms. TM = trademark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:
... the commuter I used in the city was one of those '70s era steel 3-spd Raleighs that weighs about 1k pounds and has been stuck in the high gear. Perfectly fine for CC flat roads, but...

When I worked on South Street, I would take PATCO over from jersey, and ride a beater like that - which I kept locked by the station - the rest of the way

When I was let go, I unlocked the bike and left it there, to put back in the food chain

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [muebele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, can you give me some tips? Where's the Cynwyd trail? I looked it up but couldn't find a map or location.

Also, I've been trying to connect Villanova to Swarthmore without going back to Media but also not going through Darby. Any suggestions? Here's the best loop I've come up with. I'd like to make more of a loop out of it by going closer to the city, but lots of busy roads and bad neighborhoods that way. Anyway I can stretch it out to Holy Cross Cemetery?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Hey, can you give me some tips? Where's the Cynwyd trail? I looked it up but couldn't find a map or location.

Cynwd trail is new-ish - not sure when it was finished since i've been out of philly way more than i've been there over the last 4 years, but here it is - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7246647
Quote Reply

Prev Next