Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Party Affiliation
Quote | Reply
Would you change your party affiliation so you could vote in the opposing primary?

A little background on why I ask.....I live in a very liberal county. I'm a registered Republican and I feel as if I have no voice in local politics. I'm not sure we have ever had a conservative, even a RINO, of any sort elected.

Recently the council approved taxpayer funds to pay for the civil defense of illegal immigrants fighting deportation. It's a step too far with my taxes. I feel like if I register as a Democrat at least I would have a say as to which candidate makes it to the ballet.

What would you do?
Quote Reply
Re: Party Affiliation [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the hell out of dodge, that's what.

If you have closed primaries and everything breaks blue then I would consider doing that, yes. What that point of registering R if that locks you out of the democratic process for all intents and purposes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a republican in CA.

Quote | Reply
It’s a trade off for having a voice in choosing your party’s candidate for President. Tough choice, but I’d probably stay R for that reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Party Affiliation [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//Sounds like a republican in CA//

Yep. And in CA being a moderate of either party is a Republican by any other standards.
Last edited by: JD21: May 23, 18 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you feel strongly enough why not? I've been an independent since 96. None of my candidates ever win but at least I am true to myself.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What state are you in?

In California, city council elections are officially non-partisan. So there typically are no primaries.

And with regard to all elections other the for POTUS, it's an open primary, where all candidates are on the same ballot regardless of party affiliation, and the top two go on to the general election.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I'm not a fan of playing games like that. Stick with your ideology, thick or thin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually don't think it is so out there. For most elections, your choice on who you would vote for is determined in the primary. If the nominee for a party will almost certainly win then you are left without a voice if you are in the opposing party.

I actually thought about that this Spring. I live in Ohio, this governor's election is a toss up. There was one candidate from the opposing party that I disagree with but won't be dumb. The other candidate was very distasteful. The primary for the party I generally vote with was pretty much predetermined so it wasn't going to make much difference. In the end it seemed like too much work.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a registered Republican forever, but that was when Republicans were normal people. I stay so I can vote against cretins, racists and idiots (of which there are a lot in the TN Republican party). And it's really fun to fill out the surveys begging for money from Drump and the NRC. Really fun.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Party Affiliation [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
No, I'm not a fan of playing games like that. Stick with your ideology, thick or thin.

Roger that. I'm a lower case "l" libertarian. I have strong feelings on economic issues and think that social issues aren't the government's business. Since the Dems and GOP have the same big spending economic playbook and would use the government to shove their social worldview down everyone's throats, I dislike them both.

I am a tenacious and stubborn mofo. I will happily tilt at windmills and fall on the sword of principle all day long. I'll be goddamned if I'm going to align myself with the Dems or GOP because of some transient issue.

Here in GA, when you vote you're "GOP", "Dem" or "other". We had local elections a couple days ago. I got the "non-partisan" voting card and ended up with a darn short ballet. If Rand Paul were from GA, then maybe I could be a GOP type.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: May 24, 18 12:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

Which I was from age 18 to 49. 2016 I switched to NPP so I could vote for that stoner Gary Johnson. Otherwise I'd be stuck with only the GOPs, and in California that's really irrelevant (and I was not going to vote GOP in the general either)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy the benefit of being an Independent voter in a state that doesn't require party membership for primary voting. Granted, you can only vote in one primary electon (R or D), but it affords one the ability to really follow their own interests at the polls.

I voted in the R primary during last POTUS election (Kasich) as a positive endorsement, then Hillary in the general as a negative (anti-Trump). It was pretty clear that Hillary was going to win for the Democrats in Virginia, so my money went further on the Republican ticket, at that point in the contest.

To your question: Forget party allegiances. Vote your conscience and your best interest at every opportunity.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Nah, in this case CA voting actually works with fully open party-less primaries. The top two advance system lets you vote for the crazy lefty, the moderate lefty or the guy who doesn’t have a chance. Switch sides for Central Valley.
Quote Reply