Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Talk to me about pedals
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for some new pedals. I got a prThree recently and have been switching my pedals between my old roadie depending on which I want to ride. On the roadie, I didn't want to spend a lot of money last year so i bought some nashbar pedals that I thought were a pretty good deal. Being naive about pedals I was thinking about buying the same ones. The are cheaper than the others, use the Look cleats, and are lighter than their counter-parts as well as the ultregras. I had assumed the lightness kind of trumped all in pedals and these were injected carbon:

https://www.bikenashbar.com/...-pedals-nb-alpe-base

So, whats a good pedal? And if these are no good, what truly makes a good pedal - aerodynamics?

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, a good road pedal is one I can forget about. Shimano pedals last forever, done.

There are advantages to speedplay (float), look (weight), and house brands (price). I've simplified those, don't feel inclined to go crazy over it. Never ever thinking about them again is the winner for me, Shimano pedals on all my bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
For me, a good road pedal is one I can forget about. Shimano pedals last forever, done.

There are advantages to speedplay (float), look (weight), and house brands (price). I've simplified those, don't feel inclined to go crazy over it. Never ever thinking about them again is the winner for me, Shimano pedals on all my bikes.

I wouldn't overthink a pedal choice. Just go over to the bike shop, pick one, and run with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever’s comfortable, convenient, and compatible. I’ve used Look Keo Blades and now am on Garmin Vectors which are basically the same cleat. Good firm connection, seem sturdy when climbing, power transfer feels good, right amount of float, and easy to clip in/out. I’ve heard good things about speedplay but haven’t used it.

Only pedal system I tried and don’t like was my MTB Shimano A-350’s... never could get them to feel right.

If you’re happy with what you have and it works for you, I don’t think pedal aerodynamics are going to overrule that. Unless you’re at the extreme pointy end of cycling.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have any fit issues, then Speedplay is probably the best choice. Custom axel lengths, easy to shim, adjust float tension...
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:

Shimanos are the winner for reliable walkability too - best rubber bumpers. Plus they are easily serviceable if they do ever wear out, which they don't.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ziggie204 wrote:
commendatore wrote:

I wouldn't overthink a pedal choice. Just go over to the bike shop, pick one, and run with it.
That's a good place to start but it's not like those with specific pedal preferences are necessarily doing it just to be difficult.

If you've no issues with cheaper, simpler pedals, then that's the way to go. Why not?
However, there are real benefits to some of the other options if they address a problem you have.

I started with Shimano SPD, but my knees weren't happy and I always felt unnecessarily and uncomfortably restrained. I switched to Speedplay and have never had a problem since. They're more expensive but not crazy unless you want to waste money on their titanium ones, for example. There's a small amount of maintenance required, but it really is a very minor consideration. Half an hour a year covers it despite the big deal many critics make about this!
The key benefits are comfort/adjustability (main reason to buy them). They are also quick and easy to engage and dis-aengage. They're pretty light, have very low stack and great corner clearance.
The main downsides are that they are not great to walk in (I believe the newer aero cleats address this but I'm still on older version), their basic models start at a higher price than the lower end pedals from other manufacturers, and there is no Speedplay based pedal power meter currently available.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried it all, vector, looks, shimano, mavic and speedplay.

Never had an issue with any of them, but i had better feeling with the vector (same base as look) and mavic.

I am using speedplay for fit reasons and still getting used to it but its a very customizable system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using Speedplay pedals for 10+ years now. Other than replacing cleats and going through a few sets of pedals (around 5k miles a year) I haven't had a thing to complain about. I love the dual-sided ability to clip in quickly that Speedplay allows.

I've also used mountain bike SPD pedals by Shimano, and they work well, but not sure you'd want to use them on a tri bike, as they aren't as aero as Speedplay.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look a lot like the Performancebike.com Forte pedals that don't appear to be available from performance bike any more.

I have 2 or 3 pairs of those pedals and really like them. I don't care for the Look compatible cleats that come with them though.
Quote Reply