Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help needed for the fastest skinsuit and gear for a 20 KPH avg hill climb
Quote | Reply
After looking at some of the data from the Endura Encapsulator suit, it got me thinking. What would be the the "fastest" skinsuit for a hill climb, with average speeds around 20 KPH. Does anyone test that slow? Am I overthinking this? (DUH!)

https://www.hillclimbworlds.com/ https://www.strava.com/segments/658277
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: May 22, 18 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest skinsuit for 20 KPH avg speeds [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't know about this one, but the best TT skinsuits are made so that they only fit right when you're in an aero position. When you sit up, they tend to be very uncomfortable.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling Weekly has a new video up where they test the Endura against BioRacer and Velotec. Starting at 40kph, it is about a 5 watt difference, up to something like 11 watts at 55kph. Aero drag is low at 20 kph, so even a 1-2% saving is really small. I will be generous and give you 1-2 watts.

The reason I think it is generous is because the surface textures, and their intended boundary layer effect, aren't designed for those low speeds so there may be no advantage over a tight fitting regular suit. Look at it this way. If you are standing still, no suit will reduce the drag because there isn't any at that speed.

You might be better off choosing by weight. A 200 gram difference should save you a maybe a watt. Same for helmets. Aero road over a full TT would be my guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On climbs of more than 5% grade (somewhat shallower than the ones on your link), aero ceases to be much of a consideration. The world tour pros are making those climbs a LOT faster than you will . . . and notice that very few (almost none) of them wear skinsuits on those climbs. (Tejay Van Garderen's fastest time on the climb is 18 kph. Can you really beat Tejay?)

A jersey and bibs is more practical, cooler, and more comfortable. If the pros who are looking for every advantage think a jersey and bibs is the way to go . . . they're probably right.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: May 21, 18 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest skinsuit for 20 KPH avg speeds [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree - I can't climb faster than Tejay
Agree - at speeds so low (10-15kmh) up a hill, aero advantage is lost

But for me, An aero suit, or perhaps more accuratly, a single piece suit just suits better and feels better (to me)
It's also usually cheaper to boot. (I got my Castelli San Remo 3.2 at USD150 which was a steal). A 2 piece bib+jersey is much much more expensive than USD150 and in most instances, a suit is just cheaper from what I can find.

Additionally, for me, I find suits fits better / feels better due to the lack of BIBs on them at the shoulders, instead I have the entire jeysey holding up the suit. Evenly distributed pressure. Also, since where i live is hot and humid (35c++ / 80-90% humidity), I don't wear a base layer and the bibs makes up as an additional layer of clothing.

In any case, I just find Suits cheaper and comfy. But of course, I can't be as stylish as a Jersey+Bib.

To Each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest skinsuit for 20 KPH avg speeds [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd assume you don't look like an old man yet. If you're getting that much into it, I'd gain whatever power you're going to snag by the beginning of September then from then to the event just hold on to it and work on the "kg" end of your w/kg.

If you're talking skinsuits, consider weight savings of tossing a small enough 1x chainring on there to lose the FD for weight. Borrow a lighter helmet and shoes, etc... Rent climbing wheels.

Take a huuuuge dump that morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest skinsuit for 20 KPH avg speeds [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
On climbs of more than 5% grade (somewhat shallower than the ones on your link), aero ceases to be much of a consideration. The world tour pros are making those climbs a LOT faster than you will . . . and notice that very few (almost none) of them wear skinsuits on those climbs. (Tejay Van Garderen's fastest time on the climb is 18 kph. Can you really beat Tejay?)

A jersey and bibs is more practical, cooler, and more comfortable. If the pros who are looking for every advantage think a jersey and bibs is the way to go . . . they're probably right.

myjunk wrote:
Agree - I can't climb faster than Tejay
Agree - at speeds so low (10-15kmh) up a hill, aero advantage is lost

But for me, An aero suit, or perhaps more accuratly, a single piece suit just suits better and feels better (to me)
It's also usually cheaper to boot. (I got my Castelli San Remo 3.2 at USD150 which was a steal). A 2 piece bib+jersey is much much more expensive than USD150 and in most instances, a suit is just cheaper from what I can find.

Additionally, for me, I find suits fits better / feels better due to the lack of BIBs on them at the shoulders, instead I have the entire jeysey holding up the suit. Evenly distributed pressure. Also, since where i live is hot and humid (35c++ / 80-90% humidity), I don't wear a base layer and the bibs makes up as an additional layer of clothing.

In any case, I just find Suits cheaper and comfy. But of course, I can't be as stylish as a Jersey+Bib.

To Each their own.

A lot of things play into the following pictures (Photo 1: Gibraltar rd Strava segment for avg speeds, Photo 2: the first real climby bit of Mt. Evans in CO) but when I'm bang on form, I can climb at 20 KPH. I agree with the aim to minimize weight. When I podium-ed on Evans behind Lachan Morton, then my team captain, I was 65 KG, I have no desire to do that to my body again but ~68 KG is a realistic race weight. Even at 68 KG, I have been able to ride at right around 5.5 W/KG for 30 minutes when I'm not starting at 2700 meters.

I'm currently working on a climbing bike. I'm sure that topic will surface in another thread here shortly but my ideal setup would be a lightweight frame that is TBD, Sram Red group with my Rotor 52/34 Q-Rings, a short reach (aero?) bar, Bontrager Aeolus XXX Tubulars with Vittoria Corsa Speed tires, Speedplay pedals with Aftermarket Ti Spindels, Premier Bike Ultra Optimized chain and Fizik Arione 00 saddle. I also currently have an older small BioRacer SpeedConcept TT Suit that has been altered for a shorter torso and the choice between specialized evade and the Prevail 2 helmets.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: May 22, 18 13:02
Quote Reply