Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How often to replace latex tubes?
Quote | Reply
How often should latex tubes be replaced? Do they deteriorate over time?
Quote Reply
Re: How often to replace latex tubes? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wondered this today as I pumped up race wheels to be used in a few weeks that still have Conti GP4000s and Challenge latex tubes installed in 2013. Planning to check pressure and pump a few times but looking for a better answer as well.
Quote Reply
Re: How often to replace latex tubes? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
How often should latex tubes be replaced? Do they deteriorate over time?

I replace them when I have to. Which is usually a tiny puncture I can't find, they are too stretched out, or the valve quits working. I have some that are 10 years old.

They patch really easily. Cut up an old tube for patches. Buy a jar of Elmers rubber cement.
Quote Reply
Re: How often to replace latex tubes? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I read that you can use a regular tube patch kit. Is 'your way' a better way?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: How often to replace latex tubes? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a long time since I used a patch kit. It should work fine. Seems like using the same material would be ideal. And the jar of Elmers rubber cement from the craft dept costs $4 and lasts until it dries out (years).

Clean with alcohol. Spread cement on the patch and tube. Let dry a minute. Press in place. Wait a couple more minutes and apply talc (so any dried glue doesn't stick to the tire). Good as new.
Quote Reply
Re: How often to replace latex tubes? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to get myself some rubber cement. I've been throwing away my latex cos my Park Tools Self Adhesives patch doesn't work/hold.

Another question I have is - do you guys suffer something like a phython after a Goat lunch?

For some reason, sometimes my latex tubes will create what looks like a giant bubble (hence the phython w/ undigested Goat inside it). I'm not sure what causes it and whether it's still good to be use. ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: How often to replace latex tubes? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I read that you can use a regular tube patch kit. Is 'your way' a better way?
Regular patches + vulcanizing solution = win

Latex patches way better than butyl. I've got lots of latex tubes with 5-6 patches in them. They work great.
Quote Reply
Re: How often to replace latex tubes? [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
myjunk wrote:
For some reason, sometimes my latex tubes will create what looks like a giant bubble (hence the phython w/ undigested Goat inside it). I'm not sure what causes it and whether it's still good to be use. ideas?

You put too much air in it. It's fine. Just let some out before you install.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm imagining that the only way you could know that is to pump your tube up without it being mounted inside a tyre? If so then that's why that is happening,latex tubes should never be pumped up without being mounted inside a tube,and for one of the previous puncture questions,only use old pieces of a latex tube as a patch,otherwise you get a horrible hard bit as the wheel is rotating,kind of feels like a off balanced car wheel then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Python:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythonidae

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply