Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TT Helmet and hydration recommendations (picture)
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwitch,

Im looking for TT helmet and hydration recommendations based on my current position and bike. I was thinking the aerohead or bell javelin would fit my shape? I would also be open to recommendations on how to make my current position more aero. Unfortunately I dont have much adjustability in the front end due the current handle bar/pad/stem set up. Thanks for the help!

-Matt

My transition back to Triathlon from Cat 2 cyclist: The Shift
Last edited by: maku42: May 20, 18 5:43
Quote Reply
Re: TT Helmet and hydration recommendations (picture) [maku42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no bike fitter, but it looks like you are stretched out a little too far. Maybe come back an inch or 2. Hydration and computer mount are really a personal preference, race distance, and what can fit between your aerobars. A lot of options out there.

My preference:
-BTA: Profile Design Aero HC
-Computer: Profile design Aerobridge mount
-Rear: Xlab Wing with 2 bottles
-Bento Box: Xlab
Quote Reply
Re: TT Helmet and hydration recommendations (picture) [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice! Im looking to do a half distance and would like to keep majority of my nutrition on the bike with me. Any recommendation on Torhans frame bottle versus the Elite Crono CX?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Javelin. And I want an Aerohead. Both seem to test well for riders in most positions, so those are good choices for someone who won’t go to a wind tunnel for the perfect selection.

The Javelin is an incredible value for the performance at $80. Supposedly, the Aerohead is faster than the Javelin. The incremental gain is not worth it to me at MSRP, given I have a good baseline. But, if I see an Aerohead on sale at $125, I will upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Torhans frame aero bottle and didn't like it. I've got a Speedfil 2 bottle behind the saddle and just got a Speedfil Aero bundle. Which is a BTA with a garmin mount built into the cage. It has a flexible straw on it which I find easier to use then pulling a regular bottle out of the bta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the correct seat so you can rotate your pelvis and then work out your fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I,ve tried a few aero frame bottles, but didn't like them: hard to grip, fill, and clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sticking to hydration recommendations if you don't like aero frame bottles for liquids use one to carry your spares.

There are plenty of pictures online of what I am talking about but just slice down the seem of the bottle to create a pouch and then you can stick your inner tubes, CO2, gels, etc in there. This then frees up the rest of the bike for bottles. I always recommend zip-tying a cage BTA and using a standard bottle but some people prefer the more polished after market BTA option. For longer race you can put an additional cage or cages behind the saddle.

I will also echo previous commenters that your position is very unorthodox so its hard to make aero recommendations without first moving you to a more standard position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any BTA should do, in fact a standard bottle BTA has what's been reported at 0g of drag and supposedly a negative drag for fancy aero BTA bottles. Javelin is the cheap choice, an A2 if you can find it. Aerohead or the LG-p09 work well for most positions as well. You look head down so think short tail although I can't really tell without a helmet on you.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: TT Helmet and hydration recommendations (picture) [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys for all the help! I think Im gonna go for the Javelin, a BTA set up and a Elite crono CX for the down tube. I think I will eventually due a set up behind the saddle as well. Its nice to hear that there isnt much difference in aerodynamics between the different types of BTA hydration. Ill post a picture with the new set up once it all gets here and is installed! Thank you guys and gals!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious, did you not have an aero bottle or helmet as a cyclist?
Quote Reply