Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why The US Will Never be Invaded...
Quote | Reply
Because this country is basically one big can of whup-a$$, with most people armed to the teeth. Including suburban soccer moms and latte-sipping metrosexuals. ;-)

(I love that entry for Florida)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Why The US Will Never be Invaded... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, except for maybe the ethnic slur in Texas. But given you claim to be of Latin heritage maybe you get a pass.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Why The US Will Never be Invaded... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Funny, except for maybe the ethnic slur in Texas. But given you claim to be of Latin heritage maybe you get a pass.

Only part. My mother's maiden name was Dudenski, and she was part hillbilly. So I've got all the bases covered when it comes to ethnic slurs. And I've been called much worse than that little name in my time. But that Texas one is funny, because it -- like all the other ones -- plays on a gigantic set of stereotypes about 'Murica, boyo. Can't do anything else but laugh, amirite? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its more this than hick's with stick's

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Why The US Will Never be Invaded... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
I think its more this than hick's with stick's

The map mentions the quite-extensive military presence within the US as well (over in California, up in the Pacific Northwest and down in the Gulf of Mexico). ;-)

Like I said: the entire country is just one big can whup-a$$. LOL!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides, the only country that will ever want to invade would be China, but they are much to smart and are playing the long game. They got more people, more natural resources and more money. Just put the Cherry on the South China Sea expansion, with the landing of bombers. And the US or any other countries response? time will tell.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Besides, the only country that will ever want to invade would be China, but they are much to smart and are playing the long game. They got more people, more natural resources and more money. Just put the Cherry on the South China Sea expansion, with the landing of bombers. And the US or any other countries response? time will tell.

Agreed. The Chinese have an approximately 50-year-long game plan they've been putting into action for the last 10 or so years. Xi is no dummy, that's for sure. I've been saying for more than a few years that they are who'll we'll be fighting the next big war against, militarily, economically, digitally, diplomatically... you name it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

Agreed. The Chinese have an approximately 50-year-long game plan they've been putting into action for the last 10 or so years. Xi is no dummy, that's for sure. I've been saying for more than a few years that they are who'll we'll be fighting the next big war against, militarily, economically, digitally, diplomatically... you name it.

I don't think China will ever need to invade to US.

Economically, digitally, and diplomatically, like you said, they are making gains, slowly, and, IMO, will just slowly eclipse the US in those areas. Guys like Xi and Putin don't need to think in 4 year election cycles.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because this country is basically one big can of whup-a$$, with most people armed to the teeth.

I've always thought this to be a BS concept. Same thing for the idea that arming yourself is protection against a government taking away your rights. 90% of those "Armed" end up dropping their weapons and shooting themselves in their foot at the firing range. Few are actually use the weapons enough to be comfortable with them and even fewer have any tactical training. A person with small arms can't do anything to a tank or modern airforce...and those crazy enough to try and learn to make weapons that could we lock up :-)

To make it worse most of the people in the US are just plain soft, take away their cell phones and internet and they will gladly hand over their freedom to get them back. They wouldn't last a week "Defending" themselves.

We need a strong military for a reason...because this isn't 1776 anymore where nearly everyone was as lethal as anyone else with commonly available weapons that everyone had in their household. Take away the military and all you'd have to do is turn the lights out and the white flags would just come rolling out.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

They don't have more resources... at least not domestically. When you look at resources per capita, China's rapid military suddenly makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Why The US Will Never be Invaded... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
China is currently mining Africa. They don’t bother with the western imperialist idea of running countries. They know the fastest way to get what they want, resources, is to build a few roads, bunt the president a few container loads of farm equipment for post-office gentlemanly farming, and they’re off mining, shipping everything back home as fast as they can.

Meanwhile the West is still trying to influence the governance of said countries and putting noses out of joint.
Quote Reply
Re: Why The US Will Never be Invaded... [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
Because this country is basically one big can of whup-a$$, with most people armed to the teeth.

I've always thought this to be a BS concept. Same thing for the idea that arming yourself is protection against a government taking away your rights. 90% of those "Armed" end up dropping their weapons and shooting themselves in their foot at the firing range. Few are actually use the weapons enough to be comfortable with them and even fewer have any tactical training. A person with small arms can't do anything to a tank or modern airforce...and those crazy enough to try and learn to make weapons that could we lock up :-)

To make it worse most of the people in the US are just plain soft, take away their cell phones and internet and they will gladly hand over their freedom to get them back. They wouldn't last a week "Defending" themselves.

We need a strong military for a reason...because this isn't 1776 anymore where nearly everyone was as lethal as anyone else with commonly available weapons that everyone had in their household. Take away the military and all you'd have to do is turn the lights out and the white flags would just come rolling out.

~Matt

Calling bullshit on all of this. It’s like you’ve never even seen Red Dawn.

Wolverines!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to fight directly. Take out the electric grid. Jam cell phone satellite signals. We would come to a screeching halt and implode. Mass hysterica would ensure.
Quote Reply
Re: Why The US Will Never be Invaded... [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
MJuric wrote:

~Matt

Calling bullshit on all of this. It’s like you’ve never even seen Red Dawn.

Wolverines!!!!

It's like none of you have ever studied true insurgency or guerrilla warfare. ;-)

At the risk of turning this thread into something that's actually serious -- rather than the humorous thread it began as -- you don't need a lot of insurgents or guerrillas to constitute an effective fighting force against a larger and better-equipped (and fielded) military force. So even if 95 percent of the so-called "good old gun-owning boys" in the US turned tail and ran, and surrendered, upon invasion, you still have a million or more that won't.

The maquisards (Maquis) in France in WW2 are just one example of a very lightly supplied and manned guerrilla force. More recently, the Viet Cong (right up until they foolishly attempted the Tet Offensive) and the Taliban illustrate how even halfway organized insurgencies can give a standing, occupying military force fits. How many provinces does the Afghan government -- with the support of the US and its allies -- completely control in-country these days?

Again: classic doctrine says it usually takes around six infantrymen to dig out one insurgent, meaning 100,000 insurgents can tie up a 600,000-infantryman army (and that's not counting the six logistics and other support personnel needed to support every one infantry soldier in the field) as long as the insurgency doesn't try to overreach and, instead, consolidates its gains slowly and steadily.

Admittedly, the above ratio doesn't perfectly correlate, in my opinion, these days mainly because the state of technology has given a decided edge to the formal military organization. But anyone who's spent time in Iran, Iraq, the wider Middle East and Africa or over in Afghanistan can tell you how clever local insurgencies are, on occasion, in overcoming the technological edge enjoyed by the modern infantry soldier. Detecting night vision (and even blocking its) usage by US forces, for example, is one such technique that's been learned by insurgents in Afghanistan. The list goes on.

Generally, an insurgency can't hope to win against a national military force in a straight-up fight on the field of battle. What it's usually trying to accomplish is to act as an enervating phenomenon on the occupying military force and its civilian leadership, hoping to drain away -- over time -- its will to win and to keep the occupation going. The classic example of this is Vietnam (from both the French as well as US experience). Another good example is the Soviet experience in its own occupation of Afghanistan.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Because this country is basically one big can of whup-a$$, with most people armed to the teeth. Including suburban soccer moms and latte-sipping metrosexuals. ;-)

(I love that entry for Florida)

You really should change the title of the thread.... Why the US will never be invaded again....
Quote Reply
Re: Why The US Will Never be Invaded... [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw an article the other day talking about how the Chinese are pushing the envelope on learning languages. Massive numbers know English and they are teaching up to a hundred languages in their universities and language institutes.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply