Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder visit - tri geek to-do?
Quote | Reply
Making the trek to Colorado this July with the family. We’ll have a day or two in Denver where I can get to Boulder. Bike park looks good for the family, blah blah.

Being a triathlete, I want to talk about me.

What tri-nerd stuff should I consider? I assume running the Res is good. Are there places drop-ins can swim, Flatiron or whatever? Places for regular dudes that might break 35 in a 70.3?

What do I need to know?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder visit - tri geek to-do? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to Chatauqua Park, park (either along Baseline or in the park), run the Mesa Trail. There is water at the Ranger Station & outside of it at the trailhead. Probably too many hikers to have to worry about Mt. Lion. Bear are a possibility on some of the back more wooded/less traveled trails. BUT, Mt. Lion are there also--since it's at the foot of Flagstaff, where the density if greater for furry kitties.

Hit Colorado Multisport as well, on Canyon St. If you want to spend some $$ eat at Elon Musk's brother's place "The Kitchen"--rave reviews about it. If you have a bike, take Hwy 36 up to Left Hand Canyon (about 6 miles out of town), head up to Jamestown, fill up water & go back. But it will be raining this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running at the res is convenient, but far from the best on offer. Try driving up canyon, then turn left on magnolia road and go up some very steep switchbacks. Keep driving and just before the road turns to dirt, there's room to park your car. Run an out and back on the dirt (don't take any turns). If you do the whole thing it's 14 miles round trip. https://www.strava.com/...-US&v=1524761240

As previously mentioned, ride up lefthand canyon, but when you get to the bridge head left to Ward instead of right to Jamestown (there will be a clear sign). The last mile is steep. When you get to peak to peak highway, turn right. When you get to Riverside drive take a right through a cool mountain community until you dead end into 7/st. Vrain canyon and turn right and descend into Lyons. Then take 36 back to Boulder.
https://www.strava.com/...-US&v=1520115161

Do a Boulder aquatic masters swim in the res.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 18, 18 21:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're doing Valmont bike park, call ahead to The Fix bike shop. It's right next door and you can rent dirt jumpers for you or your family
I think the best hike from Chatauqua is the Royal Arch.
If you want a run, just start run the Boulder Creek path. It'll have great views, both people and scenery and there's no risk of turning an ankle like running Mt. Sanitas. That's a great hike/run but it can get rocky and tricky on the way down.
You're family can walk Pearl Street as you run or walk up the Creek path and hike up to red rocks.
As for a ride, go up Lee Hill, on to Left-hand Canyon, up to Ward, across the peak to peak, down into Lyons, through Hygiene for a coke, then into Boulder.
I'll ride with you if you need a guide instead of checking your phone if I can keep up with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go do a swim workout with the famous Dave Scott or Wolfgang Deittrich. I think they both still coach masters there..
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder visit - tri geek to-do? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s what I’m talking about, Monty! I’m a fan of the sport and would enjoy seeing some legends or curren pros or whatever. I knew Dave had some sort of group, just wasn’t sure how accessible it was to regular dudes.

Lots of good suggestions so far. We’ll hit Valmont as a family. Hauling our MTBs on a hitch rack, so looking forward to lots of that.

I assume after a few weeks at altitude I’ll come down and drop like a 14:30 at Sprint Nationals.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply