Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMFL Race Morning Parking
Quote | Reply
Know nothing about IMFL or the area. Looking around on google maps gives me the impression that parking on race day morning for someone racing on their own might not be very convenient. My only experience has been with Texas and parking there on race day morning was a breeze. Lots of room and a short walk. Trying to get an idea of cost benefit analysis with a hotel further out and driving in on the day or just staying at one of the partner hotels on location. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Morning Parking [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it last year and stayed at the other end of the run course so 3-4 miles away.

They had free parking and a shuttle from the Walmart about a mile away which I had planned to use (easy enough to walk as well except race day etc), but when there I found one of the resorts near Alvin's Island (run turnaround point), probably about 400m from start/finish/expo etc that had pay parking for the 3 days (1 ticket that you could use across race weekend).

Sorry can't remember the place, or price but it was much more convenient, and for me well worth the cost. Easy on race day to set up in transition then hop back to the car for a coffee/breakfast/put wetsuit on etc before heading off to the start. Worked really well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Morning Parking [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that you pretty much gave me exactly what I needed to know. Just looked at last years athlete guide and saw the information for the shuttle bus. That should do the trick if I decide to go low budget. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shores of Panama (nice enough place, right on the beach) is a short walk from transition and still has a bunch of condos for $100/night. Although with resort fees, taxes, etc. it's closer to $200, but still possibly worth it for the sake of convenience.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Morning Parking [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on The Shores, you can do that on a fairly low budget and it's very convenient. I was solo for IMFL last year and got a small condo there (basically an efficiency) for a very reasonable price.

That being said, Walmart is fairly convenient too for parking.

IMFL is quite easy, logistically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed about a mile away and just walked in on race morning. If I were further away, I would have used the Walmart option. LOTS of people do this, and it seemed super easy.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Morning Parking [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again to everyone for the great tips on nearby accommodations. I am going to check a few of them out, but in the meantime I booked a rat's nest hotel about 4 miles away as an emergency backup. I am in hotels constantly and really can't appreciate them anymore whether 5 star or 1 star. The only things I really need are a functioning HVAC, hot water (sometimes negotiable), no bed bugs (extended stay america woodlands didn't quite deliver on that one!), and most importantly a 24hr super WalMart nearby. Everything else is lipstick on a pig. Thats what 20 years on the road gets you. Will let you know how I get on in a few months.
Last edited by: TravelingTri: May 10, 18 11:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMFL twice. Stayed down the beach a couple of miles the first time, and Shores of Panama the second.

I parked at the Walmart parking lot the first time but it's my understanding they cracked down on parking there in the years that followed. Shores is a 1/3 mile walk to transition.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done IMFL twice and stayed at Treasure Island condos on the run course a couple miles down. Paid for parking at Club LaVela the day before to go to the expo and my family could relatively easily come and go on race day. Think I paid $20 for the weekend, and I found it worth it.
Quote Reply