Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

high resistance trainer/ Elite Muin
Quote | Reply
Anyone have one of these or some other 'hard' resistance trainer? I am coming off a stock standard kurt kinetic road machine to a direct drive elite muin.....and that thing is brutal. I cant use the big chain ring until I'm in interval mode. 95% of the training is in the small 36 or 39 tooth front (depending on which bike is on there), and its bruising my ego. I'm finally using my stages indoors instead of the kinetic virtual power (which I found extremely repeatable). I'm finding the stages and using my road bike now (just begun offseason) is giving me a higher ftp than the kinetic and tri bike....but all on the small chain ring. This is all foreign to me. I assume it doesn't matter what sized chainring is used if the effort or power is there. But how are kickers etc go with resistance? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: high resistance trainer/ Elite Muin [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the reason for the thing being so hard is to be usable with mountain bikes, which often have a single chainring in the 30-34 range
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
I assume it doesn't matter what sized chainring is used if the effort or power is there. But how are kickers etc go with resistance? Just curious.
No, it really does not matter that much. The power phase would be slightly different (higher resistance @ lower RPM has power distributed a little more through the pedal cycle), but probably not that much. I had a KKRM and used their virtual power. I really liked it, but one of the shortcomings was that there was no way to do low cadence, high power drills. You can do those all day on a Muin.

The smart trainers like the KICKR change the resistance dynamically. For example, if I have a 300W interval, I could do it in my 36/28 gear or flip to a 52/11 and the KICKR would change the resistance so that my power would be the same in both gearings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the resistance calibration curve for the Muin here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rainer/rp-prod127518. I am not surprised you are spending a lot of time at the extremes of the cassette. I have a standard Elite fluid trainer and it certainly provide less resistance for a given wheel speed.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it will allow you to do low-cadence high-resistance work. For example if I try and do low cadence sessions at 60-70 rpm even in 53x11 the maximum resistance my trainer will provide is ~250 watts which isn't enough for specific over-geared intervals.

As to your question it requires a two part answer. Firstly most high end trainers aren't fluid based though because you can't have a true smart fluid trainer. So kickrs etc will feel different but so will every non-fluid trainer. Equally you can certainly buy other fluid trainers that would allow you to push a bigger gear at the cadence and power outputs. And all that matters is the combination of cadence and power output so I wouldn't worry about having to spend time in the little ring.
Quote Reply
Re: high resistance trainer/ Elite Muin [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i couldnt find too much info online re: big chain ring vs little chain ring turbo training. I still have my kurt kinetic trainer, i dont do a lot of big gear work, im not sure if i should go back to it. Its strange being on the small chain ring, its as if my cadence is higher to compensate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one of the early ones, and yes, it was brutal!
I and a few of my mates all sold ours pretty quickly.
The ramp up in Watts per gear is awful and unusable to us.
Now on a neo... miles apart ;)
Quote Reply