Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Groundhog lives matter!
Quote | Reply
Seriously, this officer couldn't throw a blanket over the groundhog and move it?

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/...-so-he-ca-1825868617
Quote Reply
Re: Groundhog lives matter! [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm kinda torn on this one. I wasn't there to assess if the animal was injured or acting rabid so I have to take the officers word on it. In the same light, I'm not so sure I trust all officers.

I'm gonna go with over kill. (Pun intended.)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "The animal is fine. It’ll wake up tomorrow and it’ll be like this never happened." comment is gold!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. Why was the cop trying to arrest the groundhog in the first place?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Groundhog lives matter! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I'm confused. Why was the cop trying to arrest the groundhog in the first place?

Jaywalking

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I don't know about Maryland, but where I grew up (Midwest farming community), groundhogs are simple vermin that everyone kills with no second thought. They destroy farm vehicles and make a mess of crops. My grandfather carried a Remington 223 in the truck. He would stop on the side of the road and kill them on sight. As far as I know, my brother still does the same thing, and when I go home, I still look for them.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

It's brown.
Quote Reply
Re: Groundhog lives matter! [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
j p o wrote:

I don't know about Maryland, but where I grew up (Midwest farming community), groundhogs are simple vermin that everyone kills with no second thought. They destroy farm vehicles and make a mess of crops. My grandfather carried a Remington 223 in the truck. He would stop on the side of the road and kill them on sight. As far as I know, my brother still does the same thing, and when I go home, I still look for them.

Yup in farm country, farmers pluck them all the time.. but for a cop to do it in front of potentially city families, probably not a smart move.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One groundhog can reduce the bushel of an acre of soybeans by more than 50%. They will do more damage from a bushel/acre standpoint than a white tailed deer. They were kill on sight and my father and grandfather would pay me for everyone that was dead.
Quote Reply
Re: Groundhog lives matter! [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm left wondering if this officer is a part time farmer, or is he a farmer who's a part time cop?
Quote Reply
Re: Groundhog lives matter! [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yup in farm country, farmers pluck them all the time.. but for a cop to do it in front of potentially city families, probably not a smart move.

My dad keeps a running tally of how many groundhogs, skunks, stray cats, raccoons, etc. he kills in and around his barns and farm. It is a bit macabre.

But it seemed odd that he would stop at all for a groundhog and I was thinking that shooting your firearm twice with a lot of people around for a groundhog might raise the hackles of his bosses.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yeah I grew up in a small farming town in the Midwest so killin' varmin is no big deal and taking that old hound for a walk in the woods and coming back without him is considered humane. But in this day and age pulling that 9mm in front of a whole bunch of folks with phones is probably something this officer will reconsider the next time. This is a sad statement but it wouldn't be surprising at all if some ptsd lawsuit showed up.
Quote Reply
Re: Groundhog lives matter! [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
j p o wrote:

It's brown.

Oh it's definitely brown. And if you turn up the volume to 10 you'd hear 'paws up don't shoot!'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
They destroy farm vehicles

How? By getting caught in the blades?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Groundhog lives matter! [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burrow holes will break a axel in a heartbeat.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply